Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

Tywais

4 hours ago, om3n1rpak said:

Going to get moto license soon. Do I need to bring a bike for the driving portion of the test?

If you don't have one, it's probably worth hiring one from somewhere local for the day. You only need a scooter to pass the test, and the practical is literally about 60 seconds long

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got lucky at the DMV ;-) (I think)

OK, OK, minds out of the gutter.

Went to get my 5yr license as my 2 yr temp was expiring this coming March and I'll be on travel.  After driving through abysmal traffic and making a wrong turn, I walked through the doors with all of my paperwork and copies at 9:07am expecting 1/2 a day at the DMV.  Walked out of the DMV at 9:28am with my 5yr license.  The place was empty and they only administered the color ID test, no reaction, no side vision, no training movie, and no written test.   Is this the new norm?

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 1:57 PM, SammyT said:

If you don't have one, it's probably worth hiring one from somewhere local for the day. You only need a scooter to pass the test, and the practical is literally about 60 seconds long

Hi,

I have a Thai Car Driving License  but also now want a Thai Motor Cycle Driving License.

I have the UK License for Car & All Bike types.

I do not presently own a Motor Bike for any 'Practical'

Of course I could hire one but how to get to the Test Centre if no Thai License?

They seem to be having road blocks every other day to pick up those without License and I would only have a valid UK for Motor Bike.

I have heard no 'Practical' might be required for a UK License Holder?

Any advice/experience welcome.

Best Rgds

Edited by factseeker

1 minute ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Rubbish. No IDP in CM you will be finned!
The cops here don’t give a fig about international motoring conventions or treaties either. Ride a motorbike in high season one can be stopped 3 times a day. I have Thai driving licenses, wear a helmet, and keep paperwork handy.

My UK licence was just fine and nothing else required when I got stopped.

29 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

My UK licence was just fine and nothing else required when I got stopped.

I was stopped at a check point near Ubon, first and only thing I was asked for was International Driving Permit, I handed it to him, He seemed disappointed I had it, he studied all the pages for about a minute, it looked like he couldn't understand it, like he never seen one before, he didn't ask me for anything thing else, with a disappointed look on his face he told me to carry on,

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Rubbish.

Charming !!!

I was stopped by plod in Pattaya last week  he asked for my drivers licence,  gave him my Thai one

then he asked to see my insurance gave him that too..he studied both for a while looked disappointed and said "you ok go"  

no mention of an "International drivers permit" .

Edited by johng

1 hour ago, Netease said:

it looked like he couldn't understand it

Of course he couldn't understand it, there is no Thai language translation on an

"International Drivers Permit"   several European + Russian,Chinese,Indian languages but no Thai.

For Thailand its pretty much redundant..if your licence already has English written on it.....

If your licence is say written in German then the IDP  would translate that to English then plod may be able to read and understand the English translation and let you go.

Charming !!!

I was stopped by plod in Pattaya last week  he asked for my drivers licence,  gave him my Thai one
then he asked to see my insurance gave him that too..he studied both for a while looked disappointed and said "you ok go"  
no mention of an "International drivers permit" .

Because you showed him a Thai license, Einstein.

I’m not talking about Pattaya anyway.
Recently I saw a checkpoint across from Maya in CM the cops were demanding an IDP from some tourist, who was making a fuss. He didn’t get no break. What is the fine these days 400 baht? I wouldn’t know as I have my documents in order as required by Thai law!
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 5:36 PM, johng said:

If you have a UK bike licence there is no need for a practical or theory test...just the medical certificate, eyesight and reaction tests maybe watch a video,digital photo, pay money go home with shiny new Thai bike licence.

Thnxs for reply.

Looks like going to be same as for Car License - just a colour test plus all documents - was not even a 'reaction test' thing.

As they used to say in the Adventure Comics when I was a boy - "In one bound Jack was free".

Because you showed him a Thai license, Einstein.

I’m not talking about Pattaya anyway.
Recently I saw a checkpoint across from Maya in CM the cops were demanding an IDP from some tourist, who was making a fuss. He didn’t get no break. What is the fine these days 400 baht? I wouldn’t know as I have my documents in order as required by Thai law!

I've been stopped at that checkpoint plenty of times
If you don't have IDP you're fined, I've a Thai licence so no hassle.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 7:15 PM, roo860 said:

Was not asked for medical certificate, that was on Monday. So you don't need one for all licences, didn't have one, wasn't told to go and get one either.

You heard them tell someone to go and get one?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I went last week and renewed my 2 licenses and a medical certificate was not required. Maybe this is a requirement for new applications or those over 70?

On 12/18/2018 at 9:33 AM, Hugh Jarse said:

Are there any special requirements for the over 70's ?

Not that I know of as long as you can get the doctors letter, that effectively says you are fit to drive, and come on 70 is the new 50 in any case ????

I just looked as mine as thought it was due yesterday but seems I gained a year some how, perhaps Thainess?

On 1/1/2019 at 11:29 AM, Hugh Jarse said:

Strange how rules change, they always want to see mine and my friend just renewed his bike and they asked for his which he had with him.

I found I had an extra years on mine as thought was due yesterday.

Do you actually have to go on the day it runs out I have had several different answers even at the DMV near the airport?

On 11/29/2018 at 5:33 PM, factseeker said:

Thnxs for reply.

Looks like going to be same as for Car License - just a colour test plus all documents - was not even a 'reaction test' thing.

As they used to say in the Adventure Comics when I was a boy - "In one bound Jack was free".

My wife had a UK licence for a moped you used to get it automatically if you got a car licence, when she changed her licence at Chaingmai she got her full bike licence which sort of made me wonder, as she’s never ridden a bike, but now Mrs J is an expert on big bikes! But still hasnt fully realised a hundred KMH isn’t fifty MPH he he

last time. I renewed no colour test, but they made me for no explained reason watch the video on road safety, it was in English but quiet old, good if you like semi classic cars! I never ever had to watch it before???? Maybee they saw my pick up parking skills?

Is there a peripheral vision test for renewing a 5-year motorbike licence? When I renewed my car licence a year ago I don't recall any of the various tests they apply in Bangkok (peripheral vision, colour-blindness, depth perception, brake reaction time). I think I just watched a road safety video.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:54 PM, Patriot1066 said:

My wife had a UK licence for a moped you used to get it automatically if you got a car licence, when she changed her licence at Chaingmai she got her full bike licence which sort of made me wonder, as she’s never ridden a bike, but now Mrs J is an expert on big bikes! But still hasnt fully realised a hundred KMH isn’t fifty MPH he he

I'm able to change my Thai motorbike licence (which I got so I could ride my 125cc moto) for a full motorbike licence when I return to New Zealand, completely bypassing the 18 month graduated licencing system they have there for motorbikes. Seems a bit ridiculous that I can go and ride whatever I want in NZ with no limits, despite my Thai moto driving test only being about 60 seconds long, conducted by a disinterested official who went inside and got a coffee while I did the test. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'm able to change my Thai motorbike licence (which I got so I could ride my 125cc moto) for a full motorbike licence when I return to New Zealand, completely bypassing the 18 month graduated licencing system they have there for motorbikes. Seems a bit ridiculous that I can go and ride whatever I want in NZ with no limits, despite my Thai moto driving test only being about 60 seconds long, conducted by a disinterested official who went inside and got a coffee while I did the test.

Just now, Patriot1066 said:
2 hours ago, SammyT said:

Brilliant!

3 hours ago, orientalist said:

Is there a peripheral vision test for renewing a 5-year motorbike licence? When I renewed my car licence a year ago I don't recall any of the various tests they apply in Bangkok (peripheral vision, colour-blindness, depth perception, brake reaction time). I think I just watched a road safety video.

I had to do the colour blind test last time, but my doctors had also made me do it. Never done the brake reaction test in Thailand. They seem helpful at CM though, but never sure what to expect in terms of tests etc.

In the UK the DVLA lost a lot of motorbike test records from those who did the test in the 1980s my licence went over the ten years renewal and when I renewed and I had lost it, so couldn’t prove the entitlement so when came back no motorbike entitlement. I had to re set the test including the reaction tests, which were harder than trying to ride to test standards. Somehow I avoided the two year 30bhp period though, or would have had to get a new bike. Found the lost licence when moved house I had put somewhere ‘safe’

I called and they said "test everything." Unfortunately I am at 177 days after the licence expired, so I have only 3 days I think (not sure if it is 180 days or 6 calendar months) before I'll have to do the theory test for renewal.

My gf called and explained I have a problem with the peripheral vision test. They said just get a doctor's letter saying he can't do the test and it will be OK. Makes no sense to me.

2 minutes ago, orientalist said:

I called and they said "test everything." Unfortunately I am at 177 days after the licence expired, so I have only 3 days I think (not sure if it is 180 days or 6 calendar months) before I'll have to do the theory test for renewal.

My gf called and explained I have a problem with the peripheral vision test. They said just get a doctor's letter saying he can't do the test and it will be OK. Makes no sense to me.

I would get the doctors cert as the cost is so low and if is a get around then would seem better to have it there. Doctors are quiet respected so that will help.

Not sure what happens if they refuse to renew based on failed test but imagine a lot of work and effort to resolve.

However, I am a bit cautious on documentation so probably take do more than required?

Brilliant [emoji3] [emoji106] ...I wonder if it'll work in the UK too ?