Is this normal?

Anthony5

I had a 10 year old LG side by side fridge without ice maker.

The damn thing would make noise all the time when automatic defrosting and starting up again.

Knocking, cracking and whatever more, so I decide it was time to buy a new one.

Bought a brandnew Samsung side by side inverter, again without ice maker.

It is here now almost a week, and the damn thing makes even louder noises. Similar sounds at similar times, but louder.

Since this is a brandnew fridge, I guess it must be normal, only I hadn't expected something like that from new technology.

Anyone that can confirm this ?

Did you level the fridge, or is it self-leveling? Does it make a gurgling sound? Is it 220 volts?

The fridge is leveled and make all kind of noises, from gurgling to knocking to cracking to banging, name it and will make that kind of noise. The prior one made the identical noises, so in fact I'm thinking now I threw 30.000 Baht down the drain.

I have the feeling, but that can be a false impression, that when it is cooler outside that the noises increase.

we have 2 fridge and one deep fridge and only the deep fridge makes noise that can be noticed.

one of the fridge when making ice cubes kick them out pretty noisy, but if you don't fill in water there is no noise.

I bought a two door Samsung inverter model about 1.5 years ago and barely noticeable. Also the house came with a brand new much larger two door Samsung and also very quiet.

Previously I had an Electrolux that after 15 years started getting quite noisy and ended up being the rubber mounts were drying out.

I've read in the owner's manual not to restart the refrigerator for a period of time after you move it. Give the refrigerant time to settle down, to work out all the air bubbles. I wonder if it's related to plugging it in and restarting it right after a move?

I've read in the owner's manual not to restart the refrigerator for a period of time after you move it. Give the refrigerant time to settle down, to work out all the air bubbles. I wonder if it's related to plugging it in and restarting it right after a move?

Nope, manufacturer advises to wait 2 hours, but I instead waited more than 10 hours.

Beelzebub the demon has a particular fetish for devices,unless i have my necromicon upside down[possible,had a few lagers],may they be clock work or electric,flee the house sir,and run unless you are overun at night with rabid badgers and gerbils,which will issue forth from the mouth of the device,like a river in full spate,doomed i say.doomed.

Strange, I had an Hitachi for 8 years and the thing got more and more noisy and my electricity bill kept raising. Replaced it more than one year ago with a Samsung inverter and I hardly get used to the silence In my kitchen....electricity consumption is down to 330 kWh/year. Very happy with it.

• Like 1

Did you level the fridge, or is it self-leveling? Does it make a gurgling sound? Is it 220 volts?

The fridge is leveled and make all kind of noises, from gurgling to knocking to cracking to banging, name it and will make that kind of noise. The prior one made the identical noises, so in fact I'm thinking now I threw 30.000 Baht down the drain.

I have the feeling, but that can be a false impression, that when it is cooler outside that the noises increase.

First check if there is packing material around the compressor. Don't forget to check the fan between freezer and fridge. Do you have a minimum of 2" clearance top and one side? Check for loose bolts/nuts/fittings.

There is indeed a demon in my fridge.

Today the Samsung technician came around.

This morning I had noticed already that there was no noise in the first hours after I woke up, and indeed when the technician arrived at my place around 11am the fridge was as quiet as a sleeping baby. Technician couldn't find anything wrong, but mysteriously he could describe to me how the noises sounded, so I think they know something I don't.

Technician stayed for almost an hour and no loud noises, only minutes after he left it started again w00t.gif

While I'm writing this post the fridge knocks as if his life depends on it. facepalm.gif

Anyway, Samsung informed me that I will get a new one, so I guess I'm not the first one with this symptom.

I also have the feeling that when the temperature outside decreases the noises become louder.