Failed expats and the lies they tell others and themselves as to why ...

Jingthing

Intelligent, motivated, resourceful people are successful no matter the color their skin, they adapt, they don't quit, they don't make excuses and they don't fail. They don’t waste their time thinking about their skin color they are busy succeeding.

That's the theory anyway.

Yes, if you take into account cost differences for leaving the region. Still, top 20 worldwide. It's a lot of work over a long time and in our case required me to stop being an expat for a couple years to set it up.

no, i said the best

Top 20 is the best.

This is so elementary I would think you would have acquired this knowledge at this point in your life. Skin color is only important to intellectual morons, people that need to make excuses for their failures.

Intelligent, motivated, resourceful people are successful no matter the color their skin, they adapt, they don't quit, they don't make excuses and they don't fail. They dont waste their time thinking about their skin color they are busy succeeding.

I can only assume by your posts that you spend your time making excuses and thinking like a failure.

that doesnt alter the fact that it matters to a great many of your countrymen and you trying to tell us it is rare in your country is simply not true. but keep ducking and dodging that fact pal, its entertaining.

it is a lot more about education than skin color. In fact, an educated person of color, who is a hard worker, has more opportunities than a white person in my country, simply because they are less numerous than educated whites.

• Like 1

This is so elementary I would think you would have acquired this knowledge at this point in your life. Skin color is only important to intellectual morons, people that need to make excuses for their failures.

Intelligent, motivated, resourceful people are successful no matter the color their skin, they adapt, they don't quit, they don't make excuses and they don't fail. They dont waste their time thinking about their skin color they are busy succeeding.

I can only assume by your posts that you spend your time making excuses and thinking like a failure.

that doesnt alter the fact that it matters to a great many of your countrymen and you trying to tell us it is rare in your country is simply not true. but keep ducking and dodging that fact pal, its entertaining.

it is a lot more about education than skin color. In fact, an educated person of color, who is a hard worker, has more opportunities than a white person in my country, simply because they are less numerous than educated whites.

nonsense

• Like 1

Most of my circle of expat friends have been here (or their chosen Asian country) a long time. I'm coming up on 20 years as an expat, I have friends at nearly double that.

Everyone seems happy with their lot although that may have something to do with having a rather larger disposable income than most.

I wonder how much has changed since the LSE did their survey in 1990, surly the author of the linked article could have found more recent data.

Crossy, if you scroll all the way down the article, to bottom of the page, you will see 47 "comments" written on Dec. 28, 2014, the same day the article was published.

The fact the LSE conducted the survey mentioned in article was done in 1990, is irrelevant. IMO.

What is important, is what the people who were interviewed, and the people who made comments on the article, said and wrote in the here and now.

Thailand is full of failed ex-pats. There is something about Thailand that attracts the sort of people who hover around the lower reaches of farang society. Many have failed before they found Thailand and others failed while they were in Thailand. I have sympathy for those who have tried and failed but very little sympathy for those who have gravitated towards Thailand having already become failures. There are also those who have let the fantasy, for many that is Thailand, become a reality. There is no way back for them.

Oh Lord, please save me from a life of being trapped with sanctimonious bores.

• Like 1

Failure? I didn't "fail" as an expat in Thailand. I just decided after a 1 year's retirement extension that I preferred the first world amenities in the US. I don't care for bars, bar girls, or an excess of alcohol and Thailand is a craphole compared to "most parts" of the US.

Thailand turned into a nice place to visit about once a year for a max of 180 days but usually more like 90. Then I get on a plane and return to everything that makes a first world country comfortable, and to weather that doesn't melt me with heat and humidity.

I'm not skint. I can do what I want to do so "cost of living" isn't an issue even though living well in Thailand doesn't seem that cheap to me.

"...Thailand is a craphole compared to "most parts" of the U.S."

If that's your opinion you're welcome to it, but I find it very odd that you have been able to find only "craphole"

areas in Thailand. The area where I live is so much nicer than anywhere I ever lived in the U.S. -- I could write

a book about how much better life is here.

A very recent example -- my wife just gave birth to our baby here on 30 Dec. We were 3 days in the hospital

and back home today. In my whole life, I have never experienced a more genuinely friendly, caring and totally

professional medical staff anywhere. Not in Japan (16 yrs), not in the U.S. (30 yrs) nor anywhere else.

Not only was the medical care much better, but the cost was about 90% less than in the U.S. According to

WebMd.com, "The charge for an uncomplicated cesarean section was about $15,800 in 2008." Our total cost here

​was less than $1,500 including the c/section surgery and all the hospital costs including 3-day stay.

Yet you say Thailand doesn't seem that cheap to you...

Good luck to you. I sincerely hope you enjoy your life in the U.S. As for me, I escaped from there over 20 yrs

ago and I never plan to go back to that police state craphole that you call "first-world"... sick.gif

• Like 2

Jip99

That is, of course, if their skin colour allows them the opportunity in the first place.

I see that the arrival of the new year has done nothing to improve your rudeness to other posters.

Mr. Jip99, Maybe you should read the previous posts to me and who actually started this low level grade of mental exchanges before you make a comment about my rudeness in this thread. Mr. AYJAYDEE has proven by his posts to be an intellect that comments in a disrespectful manor. There is an old saying “you get back what you give out”. I simply would never disrespect someone that engaging in a respectful exchange of ideas.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and I am aware that in an examination of opinion there are valid arguments for both sides. IMO Skin-color has nothing to do with “allowing an opportunity” for someone to be successful. Skillful, dedicated, motivated, persistent, individuals don’t fail, they adapt, they succeed and they don’t waste time looking down at the color of the skin on their arm, it is meaningless. You simply cannot stop these people from becoming successful they will not fail.

• Like 1

Intelligent, motivated, resourceful people are successful no matter the color their skin, they adapt, they don't quit, they don't make excuses and they don't fail. They don’t waste their time thinking about their skin color they are busy succeeding.

It only matters to the class of people looking for an excuses to justify their failure, Those people have self sabotaged their sub conscious mind they will produce the results they believe they are capable of achieving.

You wrote, "Skin color is only important to intellectual morons, people that need to make excuses for their failures."

I don't think the EEOC would agree with you.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is responsible for enforcing federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. It is also illegal to discriminate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of dis

The government is a con, a physiological operation; successful people are in demand because of the skills they have acquired, the color of their skin is meaningless.

• Like 1

You wrote, "Skin color is only important to intellectual morons, people that need to make excuses for their failures."

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is responsible for enforcing federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. It is also illegal to discriminate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of dis

The government is a con, a physiological operation; successful people are in demand because of the skills they have acquired, the color of their skin is meaningless.

Of course you are correct, intellectual prowess; dedication, reliability, and desire are the essential elements of successful individuals. The individual that has mastered valuable skills that benefit the community will be successful, and the acquisition of knowledge is the fundamental.

you are flat out mistaken

I didn't bother reading the first 300+ posts on this thread as it was obvious the direction it would go... Little did I know it would digress into a race discussion... It appears that the more things change, the more they stay the same, again and again and again... Sad really...

Certain TV members find it necessary to judge others, when they should in fact be looking in a mirror... Who started this hot mess anyway? Oh snap!!!!! coffee1.gif

• Like 1

you are flat out mistaken

Typical your replies are simplistic, vacant, restricted and narrow, a demonstration of desolation in rational dexterity.

well for myself after 30+ years i could not contemplate icing in west. I could afford it but could not stand rules, regulations not being free, PC crap and rest. Sure i get naooyed with some things here and still do and sometimes it would be nice if things worked better. With school fees ,medical and rest tis not cheaper to live here than in Uk except in UK wed not have a maid. Heat hjas always been a problem for me and we spend 10k baht am onto or so on air con but id spend that n Uk on heating and air con in car and buildings makes that ok. I did not come here to escape sort of fell into the place and made it my home 30 years ago. I do however resent all forang here these days but thats probably ld age and noticed a lot of low life forang particularly USA citizens who seen to revel in being master on a pittance, boast about number of girls they get and how their wives are like slaves. THeir seem to be a very large number who try and survive on very little and boast they can live herd great for 50,000 or less. Thats not life thats surviving but each to their own. Id hate to live anywhere with little money.

Miss one things still like a decent sunday roast or decent smoked salmon things like good black pudding and snow. Financially its been a slow steady decline ansi m sure if id stayed in west id have 3-4 times amount of income and wealth so miss real big bucks a bit but except for that still love it here and have 90% + of what I want here. Its all here if you path for it. I mean great meals western style, great hotels, service here beats Uk and USA hands down and if you pay a bit more you'll get things done right here but if you try and be cheap charlie or have to be then its not so good.

Failure? I didn't "fail" as an expat in Thailand. I just decided after a 1 year's retirement extension that I preferred the first world amenities in the US. I don't care for bars, bar girls, or an excess of alcohol and Thailand is a craphole compared to "most parts" of the US.

Thailand turned into a nice place to visit about once a year for a max of 180 days but usually more like 90. Then I get on a plane and return to everything that makes a first world country comfortable, and to weather that doesn't melt me with heat and humidity.

I'm not skint. I can do what I want to do so "cost of living" isn't an issue even though living well in Thailand doesn't seem that cheap to me.

If that's your opinion you're welcome to it, but I find it very odd that you have been able to find only "craphole"

areas in Thailand. The area where I live is so much nicer than anywhere I ever lived in the U.S. -- I could write

A very recent example -- my wife just gave birth to our baby here on 30 Dec. We were 3 days in the hospital

and back home today. In my whole life, I have never experienced a more genuinely friendly, caring and totally

professional medical staff anywhere. Not in Japan (16 yrs), not in the U.S. (30 yrs) nor anywhere else.

Not only was the medical care much better, but the cost was about 90% less than in the U.S. According to

WebMd.com, "The charge for an uncomplicated cesarean section was about $15,800 in 2008." Our total cost here

​was less than $1,500 including the c/section surgery and all the hospital costs including 3-day stay.

Good luck to you. I sincerely hope you enjoy your life in the U.S. As for me, I escaped from there over 20 yrs

ago and I never plan to go back to that police state craphole that you call "first-world"... sick.gif

i guess the question is why does everyone get a c-section here. its cheaper but has become a income producer for hospitals. in the us you would be more likely to have a natural birth recommended.

i guess the question is why does everyone get a c-section here. its cheaper but has become a income producer for hospitals. in the us you would be more likely to have a natural birth recommended.

can you probvide the stats that show the majority get c-sections in thailand?

When I'm back home over there, I can live on a couple of bowls of noodles and some Pad Thai a day. 100 Baht a week in the moped thing and we're good to go. 700/50/100 Elec/Water/Gas.

The kids burn through it. I mean burn through it. The whole idea is to get Dad home, rinse him out and pack the poor old goat back off to work ready for the next round.

Edited by MJP

Race issues are expressed differently in different countries.

Here is an interesting perspective from a very educated black American on his eye opening experiences as a temporary expat in Ukraine:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/01/02/a-cop-in-ukraine-said-he-was-detaining-me-because-i-was-black-i-appreciated-it/

A cop in Ukraine said he was detaining me because I was black. I appreciated it. Being a black man in Ukraine showed me everything that's wrong with race in the U.S.

Here is an interesting perspective from a very educated black American on his eye opening experiences as a temporary expat in Ukraine:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/01/02/a-cop-in-ukraine-said-he-was-detaining-me-because-i-was-black-i-appreciated-it/

Not having a dig but would you have explained the writer was "very educated" if he was white, Japanese or Chinese? Were you concerned that because somebody who was black had written an article it wouldn't be taken seriously unless it could be established he was "very educated"?

Not having a dig but would you have explained the writer was "very educated" if he was white, Japanese or Chinese? Were you concerned that because somebody who was black had written an article it wouldn't be taken seriously unless it could be established he was "very educated"?

See the post I was directly replying to which was talking about a minority person that was educated and how that supposedly shielded against experiencing racism. The article explains that is not really true, but that the manifestations are different in different cultures.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Great find, JT, and an eye-opening article. America can't fix its race problem by simply denying that it exist. Is robert2006 listening?

• Like 1

Hmmm, a much more levelled post lacking the vitriol of your first post, thanks!

[yeah really? try telling that to Michael Brown and those protesting the fallout of the court decision regarding Ferguson] I have no interest in the color of a person’s skin; I engage mentally with people and judge them on their intellectual prowess. I know no one in America that cares either; I’m sure there are people in America that care about such issues but I don’t know any. I believe racism in the US is promoted by the media and the government, a physiological operation, primarily hype, used for destabilization and misdirection. I can’t think of a single American that I know that has any interest in human skin pigmentation, the color of someone’s skin is meaningless. American police may be are out of control but I pay no attention to "Ferguson" or any mainstream media it is IMO a staged controlled fiction. What I’m referring to is the Thai racism not American, the people are fixated on the meaningless preoccupation of having white skin, IMO a complete and total waste of time.

[stereotype much? I'm guessing you live in one of the Farang Ghettos... Where I live most of the locals are hard working, industrious, and community minded.] Do I live in a ghetto? Hardly. [Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, Sukumvit area?? If yes, you live in a farang ghetto - it is an expression, not a condemnation.] However I agree there are some very decent respectable Thai people and to those people I have respect. [interesting change of tack from your original statement... "Thailand is filthy and reflects its people’s attitude; they are a lethargic group, most sleeping over a bowl of rice at there job with little pride in their surroundings."]

[Why, oh why, would the Thai government be spending its time and money protecting you - a non-citizen?] That is why I will be removing myself from Thailand I want a home, not a country were the government cares only about certain people but about all the people equally and treat all individuals equally under the law. I'm finished with the police shakedowns and being looked down on by their government.

[Ah, here it comes - "They're gonna miss me (my money) when I'm gone... You find the answer to that is, "Not so much"!!] I could care less about how my money effects the Thai economy I use it for my needs not theirs. In the "Land of Smiles" I'm an incredibly wealthy person [Compared to whom? Farmers or average businesspersons or the real Thai wealthy who buy and sell businesses like used cars and holiday in Monaco?] that has lived there for full time for 8 years and was planning to spend the next 25 years paying for goods and services in the Kingdom. I’m not foolish enough to believe that when I’m gone the loss of the disbursement of my wealth into the community will have no effect. [And yet, it will have no effect. Employees will find other jobs, suppliers will get by,and the community will trudge on without you. They may mourn the loss of their golden goose for a short while then poof you're ancient history.]

["I've spent a boatload of money - why doesn't anyone like or respect me."] I have not spent a boatload of money in Thailand I made investments and retain there value, I will unwind those investments and take that value along with myself to a place were I feel more comfortable living. [if you have just "made investments" which can be "unwound" and taken AND have not spent "a boatload of money in Thailand" how large can your "disbursement of wealth into the community be"? Your two statements are diametrically opposed to each other!] I could care less if someone respects me or not it’s meaningless. [Another interesting change in direction. From: "my economic footprint is easily 20 times that of a typical Thai yet I feel unwelcome and unsupported in Thailand." Almost like two different people!]

All I can say is groove-on Robert, I hope your bubble of self-importance doesn't burst!!

Self importance? Groove-on? Is that it? Not much happening with you upstairs currently is there, are you getting fatigued? Your last post at least had some thought behind the response.

Yeah, self-importance - like not actually reading the post you are commenting on!!! If you bothered to read it you would have seen I did make thoughtful responses again in-line... (Hint: read the newer bold parts!!)

Edited by mikebike

Nice find JT!!