Failed expats and the lies they tell others and themselves as to why ...

Jingthing

Since I moved to Thailand, I have felt that the rate of "expat failure" must be higher, probably much higher, than is on the public radar.

Yeah, of course we notice the big bang burnouts that make the tabloids, but that must be the tip of the iceberg compared to those that just quitely slither on out.

People are ashamed of failing at anything, including expatriation, and aren't usually thrilled to broadcast about it.

Then there are the public "reasons" failed expats give ... are they sincere or not?

http://cuencahighlife.com/why-do-expats-go-home-why-do-they-seek-new-overseas-havens-a-long-time-expat-takes-a-hard-look-at-the-reasons-why/

Being an expat is hard.
Somehow, that fact is lost in the media hype that seems to suggest that living in a foreign country is easy, cheap, and romantic. As someone who has spent almost half of his life overseas— and happily so, for the most part — I can tell you that the hype paints an unrealistic and incomplete picture.

The linked article covers these issues and more. The more being topics like serial expatriation, moving within target countries, etc.

While the specific focus may be related to native English speakers in Cuenca, Ecuador (a major expat target for Americans) most of the points relate to expats anywhere.

Also there are some specific assertions related to Southeast Asia:

Also from my experience, I believe the average time frame as an expat seems to be shorter in Southeast Asia — at least among English-speakers — but slightly longer in Mexico and Panama.

If you read the article are there details that you can relate to or perhaps that you vehemently disagree with?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

One big problem is they don't allow themselves an escape hatch - a bolt hole - when they burn out they are stuck in LOS

In general, Don't sell everything and move to Thailand is the moral.. keep a condo or a suite back home for if- when needed

Some expats cannot have this luxury, the at-risk ones sometimes off themselves as a result, feeling trapped in "paradise"..

Sure, it's a case by case.

You bring up a dark side of course.

I wonder what percentage of those cases are a matter of can't bring themselves to go back home and face that harsh reality.

I have met many expats here who will openly tell you I can't bear ever going back NO MATTER WHAT.

Anyway, I've always felt it's a good thing for starry eyed dreamers thinking about moving to Thailand to consider that living here (or anywhere) is massively different than being on holiday, even a LONG one.

The same real life problems you had back home, like dealing with plumbers for example, you have abroad, and you probably aren't fluent in the local language and culture, how "romantic" is that ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'd like to know what the OP refers to as 'expat failure'.

What is his/her definition of 'failure' ?

I own a crappy old car, had two sprogs with a Thai woman who I haven't married, I live more of my time in Thailand then I do the West, so fair enough to be classed as an expat ... so ... did I 'fail'?

not at all. because less is often more..

• Like 1

Define failed expat JT.

Ones that have settled down, got married and now have families and careers here as opposed that roll around on baht buses looking for the next great topic to post on TV haha.

Only one more day till your crowning moment - got your speech written yet?

No. But anyway ... offtopic2.gif

• Like 1

Define failed expat JT.

Ones that have settled down, got married and now have families and careers here as opposed that roll around on baht buses looking for the next great topic to post on TV haha.

Only one more day till your crowning moment - got your speech written yet?

No. But anyway ... offtopic2.gif

first half wasn't off topic....

• Like 1

Define failed expat JT.

Everyone is waiting for your answer ... rolleyes.gif

I already gave the answer that I want to give.

If you don't like it, that's fine with me.

Just read back through the thread ... definitely no definition by JT of what a failed expat is.

JT ... so this question isn't raised by other members ... please give the post link or # where you have defined it.

Both James and I have missed it.

Thanks ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I own a crappy old car, had two sprogs with a Thai woman who I haven't married, I live more of my time in Thailand then I do the West, so fair enough to be classed as an expat ... so ... did I 'fail'?

Can only be seen in hindsight really. Here's a test for anyone wishing to know if they did or could fail. If you died tomorrow will everyone you care about still be able to live their dreams, with all the options that may entail?

• Like 1

Define failed expat JT.

Everyone is waiting for your answer ... rolleyes.gif

I already gave the answer that I want to give.

If you don't like it, that's fine with me.

Just read back through the thread ... definitely no definition by JT of what a failed expat is.

JT ... so this question isn't raised by other members ... please give the post link or # where you have defined it.

Both James and I have missed it.

Thanks ... thumbsup.gif

This is unbelievable:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787836-failed-expats-and-the-lies-they-tell-others-and-themselves-as-to-why/?p=8869421