Is it possible to shortcut a room keycard to run aircon 24 hours?

Sandman77

...and another guest, paying exactly the same rate, for exactly the same advertised amenities, not being allowed to use those amenities to the same level, even wastefully, if they so desire?

But in your example, you're not in the room. You've gone out and left the AC on, because you can't face a few minutes of a warm room when you return.

IMHO, that's plain selfish and an avoidable contribution to global energy waste.

Given a choice, (not practical I admit), would I rent a room to someone who insists on leaving the AC on when they go out for the day? No I would not.

We're talking about leaving the AC on - not leaving a 'live' electrical socket to allow notebook/phone-charging

Does it cost more to cool a room several times a day with A/C ( approx 10 degree drop) or maintain a constant temperature ( say 24 degrees) throughout the day ?

All hotels should charge the amount if the AC was on 24 hours A day.It can be A pain in the butt your out late at night.You come

Back to A hot room.It takes over an hour to cool the room so,you can sleep.

I believe these aren't budget hotels that do this.But hotel owners trying to make more money buy paying A lower electricity bill.

I say raise the rates and have the electricity on 24 hours A day.

I know... wasteful, global energy, the room will cool in 15 minutes... all true and valid... yet my question to you as an owner is; having paid my fee, same as the guy in the next room who's too hung-over to go out today, should I not feel it is my right to use the same resources as him, in any way that makes my heart content?

No. The hotel have installed a system that means that you have use of their air-con when you are present, but which switches it off when you are not. It works on a 'like it or lump it basis' and your perceptions of fairness don't come into it. Want hotel air-con, stay in your room.

• Like 1

I know... wasteful, global energy, the room will cool in 15 minutes... all true and valid... yet my question to you as an owner is; having paid my fee, same as the guy in the next room who's too hung-over to go out today, should I not feel it is my right to use the same resources as him, in any way that makes my heart content?

No. The hotel have installed a system that means that you have use of their air-con when you are present, but which switches it off when you are not. It works on a 'like it or lump it basis' and your perceptions of fairness don't come into it. Want hotel air-con, stay in your room.

But there are soooo many ways to circumvent the card that others who r not in their room many well have their aircon running while they are out all day. Why not offer full service to ALL customers?

Its like the hoteliers version of the 'Soup Nazi' (ancient SNL reference...) - No aircon for you!!!

But there are soooo many ways to circumvent the card that others who r not in their room many well have their aircon running while they are out all day. Why not offer full service to ALL customers?

Its like the hoteliers version of the 'Soup Nazi' (ancient SNL reference...) - No aircon for you!!!

It's offered to anyone present in the hotel. They don't want to waste money, so why encourage others to waste it on their behalf? Why not leave the lights or TV on all day, just because you can?

So what most of you are saying is that it is cheaper for the hotel to let a room be cooled down with the A C then heat back up again during the day then recooled and reheated several times a day instead of just setting the temp at say 22 and leaving it on

• Like 1

Why not leave the lights or TV on all day, just because you can?

Many do... Also many TOURISTS enjoy returning to a cool room between the beach and the massage table - is this unreasonable when they are enjoying their hard-earned, capital-depleting two week break from the rat-race?
  • Like 2

So what most of you are saying is that it is cheaper for the hotel to let a room be cooled down with the A C then heat back up again during the day then recooled and reheated several times a day instead of just setting the temp at say 22 and leaving it on

Too many unknowns.. Might be, might not.

Book a double and get 2 room keys. A very simple solution. thumbsup.gif

Unless the cleaner goes in there 10 minutes later and turns it off..

Book double. Get 2 keys. Request room to be cleaned while u have breakfast. Return from breakfast, place 2nd card in slot and go out for the day.... As I said earlier in the thread soooooo many ways to game the system - why not just account for ALL usage and be done with the policing where none is necessary?

Edited by mikebike

If I am in and out of the room all day I leave the AC on. If I am going to be out all day, I turn it off. If I have perchased something I want to keep cool that will not fit in the fridge, I leave it on.

I ask for an extra key and never have a problem getting one.

So do all the guys squeaking about the AC use the same towels and sheets all week? If not, why waste all that power and water?

• Like 2

Get a plug adaptor, from Home pro etc and connect it to the fridge plug, you can then recharge your phone when out.

How will that keep the room cool when I run down for breakfast?

Clearly it can't do everything. Is it that much of a hardship to put AC on when you get to the room? Takes 1 minute to cool down