Man of the year: General Prayut Chan-o-cha

webfact

Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup to overthrow a legitimate government... dissolve parliament and rip up a constitution and there are no politics so not really any political stability either....insane logic but very very Thai giggle.gif

Maybe he is following Putin's example who has been unannimously voted Man of the Year in Russia for 15 years. Damn he is popular just like coup makers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Costas where are you??

We need (another) good laugh!!

Actually JOC you win the 2014 awards for:

- Most negative

- Most consistent negative

- Most regular negative

- Negative on absolutely everything associated with taking Thailand forward

Just a quick question, did fabie help?

• Like 1

At least there is no more political protest, no violence, consumer confidence higher than ever and business getting better which Abihisit and Ying Luck can't achieve.

One. I doubt those outside of Bangkok have consumer confidence. Regardless of the faults of the rice pleadge, farmers are not happy with rice prices today, and they will pay for big projects in the future.

Two, Consumer confidence is not an excuse for quashing freedoms and deposing an elected government.

Your silver lining is nothing less than frivolous

• Like 1

Going by this piece of bias propaganda he must have just edged out the self proclaimed peoples champion sutep and the fake monk.

Yep crackdown on peoples rights muzzle the press and by keeping martial law in place you get to become man of the year.

I hope the man with the angry eyebrows remembers to thank sutep in his victory speech after all sutep didn't forget to mention the general when making his victory on how he and the general conspired to overthrow the democratically elected government and tear up the constitution months before it happened.

If you are going to have a go at Suthep at least learn to spell his name correctly!!

You're talking about transliterations here, and there are several systems, so there is no exclusively 'correct' way to spell the name. 'Suthep' is more common, but 'Sutep' is just as acceptable. Just do a Google search on 'Sutep' and you'll see many news outlets spelling it that way ... the Bangkok Post even comes up.

• Like 1

Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup to overthrow a legitimate government... dissolve parliament and rip up a constitution and there are no politics so not really any political stability either....insane logic but very very Thai giggle.gif

Adolf Hitler was named Man of the Year in 1938 and look where he ended up.

I noticed dear leader didn't even get nominated for Man of the Year 2014 so is this just another "Gift" for the people and self acolades

Add to that:

Ayatholla Khomeini (sp?)

Vladimir Putin

Richard Nixon (twice in a row!)

"The first coup leader in over four decades to become the government head, "

I find that such a ridiculous statement it is an insult to the readers intelligence. I hope the future leaders of a Democratic Thailand are taking note of the people who are churning out this doublespeak

I may be wrong, but they may be technically correct... in several of the coups since 1971, the coup leaders have appointed someone else (read: puppet) to the office of Prime Minister. That this Man of the Year took the mantle for himself could be read as positive (i.e., taking responsibility/burden) or negative (i.e., the D word).

To a guy who throw bananas to journashit who already are the biggest suxxers in the world.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Costas where are you??

Now that's an interesting point coming from a supporter of autocracy. :) Edited by maxme

Costas where are you??

- Most negative

- Most consistent negative

- Most regular negative

Just a quick question, did fabie help?

The irony in your post is probably way over your head....................coffee1.gif

And a very happy New Year to you too Sir!!wai2.gif

To a guy who throw bananas to journashit who already are the biggest suxxers in the world.

He throws bananas at them because they then let him stroke their fur and tug their ears.

Man of the Year?

More like Tin-pot Despot of the Year. And now, Grumpy Old Man of the Year.

Prayuth did nothing until the coup, he dithered and he hedged his bets. Then Someone whispered in his ear .....

At least Suthep had a lot more charisma - but I still think that Suthep's a Cheshire raving looney.

Quite curious about the 'nomination' and 'voting' process but after reading the article, I think I can safely assume there were none. The dear leader is just the man of the year. That's it.

According to Wikipedia: "Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a Cluster B personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process. First formulated in 1968, NPD was historically called megalomania, and is a form of severe egocentrism."

"People who are diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance. They have a sense of entitlement and demonstrate grandiosity in their beliefs and behavior. They have a strong need for admiration, but lack feelings of empathy."

• Like 1

Oh and on the topic of foreign affairs, where the writer wrote that "Prayut has done more than any other ASEAN leader in forging a strong alliance with China", perhaps the writer should do a little more research before drivelling. There is a reason why other ASEAN leaders are not racing and stumbling over each other to kiss China's arse.

• Like 1

Costas where are you??

Now that's an interesting point coming from a supporter of autocracy. smile.png

You say autocracy, I say pragmatic given the scenario at hand.

Costas where are you??

Now that's an interesting point coming from a supporter of autocracy. smile.png

You say autocracy, I say pragmatic given the scenario at hand.

Oh so we change definitions when it suit us? Or just when it comes to Thailand?