Dept of Land Transport: Smart Card driver license optional for current holders

webfact

DLT: Smart Card driver license optional for current holders

BANGKOK, 31 December 2014 (NNT) – Changes in regulations to carrying the new Smart Card driver license are not required for the current permanent license holders unless their permit has expired, the Department of Land transport Director-General has confirmed.

The Director-General of the Department of Land Transport (DLT) Teerapong Rodprasert has quashed false rumours that all existing driver license holders in Thailand are required to change their license to the new Smart Card license within December.

He said that this rumour is untrue, and all holders can continue to drive vehicles with their existing licenses until the license expires.

The new Smart Card driver license will allow holders to drive vehicles not only in Thailand but also all 10 ASEAN countries. However, the DLT does not have the policy to enforce every license holder to change into the new license.

The public can apply for the new licenses voluntarily at the Land Transport Office nationwide during official working hours, said the DLT Director-General.

The DLT Director-General also said that if there should be any now policies or change to the regulations, the department will make the announcement through its official sources. The public can ask for information at the 24-hour 1584 call center or visit www.dlt.go.th website.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-31 footer_n.gif

Incomplete article.

Need more explanation or at least pictures of a normal driving license and a smart card.

I even don't know what is the category of my current driving license.

Since when do they make smart card?

Is the exchange free?

Etc.

• Like 1

,,,The current permanent licence holdels unless their licence is expired ,,, ?????

They expire every 5 years, renewal doesn't require taking a test and exam again, just show up for a photoshot with a few hundred baht in the pocket and walk away with a new card.

Most do not have a licence at all.

Please post proof of that statement.

Robby

At one time i was actually shocked to realise of all the thai people i know less than 50% have a licence, when asked why they dont go and do the very simple test in order to get one the most popular answer was,,for what?,, some who do have admit to buying the licence,

They also seem to have no qualms about letting their kids drive or ride around unlicenced or under aged.

• Like 1

Driving in Thailand ( Thais ) is all about losing face. In town it does not worry me too much,BUT fxxkxxg hell on the so called motorwaysthe way they act!! most of them are. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. I am afaid its still white mans magic.

If they would just get this boy racer thing out of their systim it would help,that includes 50 year olds. Also why oh why are Thai woman such back seat drivers?

my one does not even drive! And get them to ask the way!! never,as it is losing face again

A smart licence he he he he he

Incomplete article.

Need more explanation or at least pictures of a normal driving license and a smart card.

Is the exchange free?

Etc.

Seems easy to guess that the smart license is the one that we do not have and that nobody has already.

Your Thai wife or g/f may be in for a surprise when it comes to renew their Drivers licence. My wife had to renew hers and it her took from 08:00h to 16:00h for the many test she had to do.

She is only been driving for 9 years with a valid drivers licence. I may ad that she is one of the better drivers I have know. By the way you as a Farang will sail through the whole procedure in a short time. All this took

place in Pattaya.

Edited by manstr23

The drivers licence have it written (and shown as an image) on the backside, if they are valid for cars or motorcycles. Are there any other licences for normal (private) drivers?

What I find most interesting is the point, that this licence would then be valid in all 10 countries of ASEAN. No more hassle with the police in Cambo or other countries, no need to apply for yet another licence.

Incomplete article.

Is the exchange free?

Etc.

"I even don't know what is the category of my current driving license."

Your current license probably entitles you to drive private cars, pickup trucks and mini vans.

If you own a motorcycle,you probably have a motorcycle license.

Anyone in possession of a Smart Card driver's license will automatically be deemed "Smart".

Thus there will be huge demand, as most of the vehicle operators on Thai roads fall into this category.rolleyes.gif

Thus there will be huge demand, as most of the vehicle operators on Thai roads fall into this category.rolleyes.gif

Did you mean that they fell into the SMART category ?

My wife has the old type driving license. It's valid until she's 60 or 70.

She claims, that if she change it to the new type, it has to be renewed every 5 years.

Does anyone know if that is correct?.