Vitamin - K

Felt 35

I have recently learned that Vitamin K not is for sale in Thailand, well that's at least what's told me in endless pharmacy's. Can anyone enlighten me about the reason to why a simple vitamin K supplement not are allowed to sell when at the same time most Thai pharmacy's can sell me more drug related medications over the counter than what doctors in the west are allowed to give anyone even with a prescription?

Thanks

Felt.

Probably because sufficient Vitamin K is available in most leafy green foods, so the Thais are not big on spending for supplements, when it can be found naturally in food

Since Vitamin K is used primarily to control the clotting effectiveness of blood (for those on Wafarin) there are not a lot of people who need it in a supplement form

see this article for more information on Vitamin K, it will also give you a list of other "names" that it is know by:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/983.html

And unless prescribed by a physician for a specific ailment I would stay away from it, especially in higher doses as contained in most supplements

When I had dengue hemorrhagic fever about 5 years ago my doctor at Sripat hospital in Chiang Mai gave me Vitamin K which helped. I was too delirious to remember if it was an injection or tablet but as said it's probably a good idea to get tested. My child was given an injection of vitamin K upon birth too if memory serves.

Probably because sufficient Vitamin K is available in most leafy green foods, so the Thais are not big on spending for supplements, when it can be found naturally in food

Since Vitamin K is used primarily to control the clotting effectiveness of blood (for those on Wafarin) there are not a lot of people who need it in a supplement form

see this article for more information on Vitamin K, it will also give you a list of other "names" that it is know by:

And unless prescribed by a physician for a specific ailment I would stay away from it, especially in higher doses as contained in most supplements

Thanks for the reply. Anyway I think it should be an option available to everyone to get any vitamin they need and I know at least one Thai who would prefer vitamin K in a jar instead of vegetables she not know how have been grown.

On another note, not connected to Thailand but to vitamin intake in correct form. Back home the population are unfortunately one of the world countries on top of the list with osteoporosis despite the fact that we are among the countries with highest intake of calcium rich diary products in the world.

Iherb.com has it. They ship International Airmail only, which amounts to a little over $4 shipping. Not trackable, but I've never had a problem with a loss shipment.

I wish I could say the same as I'm still waiting on 2 orders from over 3 months ago. My risk as they warned me that many don't get through so I certainly don't blame Iherb.

Thanks for the reply. Anyway I think it should be an option available to everyone to get any vitamin they need and I know at least one Thai who would prefer vitamin K in a jar instead of vegetables she not know how have been grown.

On another note, not connected to Thailand but to vitamin intake in correct form. Back home the population are unfortunately one of the world countries on top of the list with osteoporosis despite the fact that we are among the countries with highest intake of calcium rich diary products in the world.

Back home the population are unfortunately one of the world countries on top of the list with osteoporosis despite the fact that we are among the countries with highest intake of calcium rich diary products in the world.

Magnesium regulates calcium. Intake of calcium without proper magnesium intake will in fact draw calcium out of bones, causing osteoporosis. The calcium drawn from the bones is then deposited into the arteries causing, guess what?, yep, atherosclerosis. It also can cause pain that mimics arthritis.

Vitamin K, especially the K2 found in Natto, counteracts this by drawing calcium out of the arteries. Assuming, that is, one starts balancing calcium and magnesium intake.

But good luck in finding any magnesium supplements in Thailand. You'll have to increase natural sources.

When I broke my leg I was given calcium pills and they gave me vitamin D to help the body absorb the calcium.

And this relates to Vitamin K, how ?

Vitamin K, especially K2, puts and keeps calcium in the right place: bones. Without it, the calcium is drawn into arteries and muscle tissue, calcifying soft tissues.

Doctors are not given more than 20 hours of nutrition in med school. Most are hopelessly ignorant. Giving Issangeorge only calcium and Vitamin D, without also increasing supplements of vitamin K and magnesium, would actually slow the healing process, and draw calcium from his bone tissue.

Vitamins and minerals are all interconnected, and must be balanced. But doctors and governments continue to push calcium alone, in large doses, claiming bones will be strengthened. Add to that that the form of calcium in most pills is worthless.