Military, city begin reorganizing Pattaya Beach

Rimmer

Military, city begin reorganizing Pattaya Beach

n1assign1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Beach vendors were given a bit of a surprise as Pattaya and military officials began outlining new zones for beach chairs and umbrellas on Pattaya Beach as many operators didn’t realize they’d have to move from their established locations.

Despite months of meetings and announcements, vendors reacted with unhappy outcries when Maj. Col. Suphaseth Maleewong from the 14th Military Circle and Pattaya Permanent Secretary Pakorn Sikhonthachart led workers in using colored paint to map out boundaries for 100-meter-wide beach-chair zones.

As workers began outlining plots, they put 10 meters of empty sand every 100 meters. Inside each zone, vendor concessions are separated by one meter.

The result, compounded as workers made their way down the 2.7-kilometer beachfront, was that vendors saw their concessions pushed from their previous location.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/military-city-begin-reorganizing-pattaya-beach-43861#sthash.rSDTdYx4.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-01-02 footer_n.gif

Pakorn said new zoning means 60 percent of the beach is now free to use for the public, up from the previous 50 percent.

10% cleanup

Kind of "symbolic" whistling.gif

A 20% improvement on the previous set-up. In theory.

The reality might be a very different beast.

Usually in Thailand, reorganizing means more stuffing thing up than doing any good,

And what a perfect timing, now that the busy tourist season up us, they decided to

reorganize things.... just couldn't wait for quitter days could they?

• Like 2

the destorted thai sense of ownership,as we see with parking and cart food sales,and general attitude''i thailand,you no thailand''..it is time for thais to realize they dont own the moon and the stars..

• Like 1

Previous 50% means someone is delusional.

The 50% that was supposed to be open was sold by the city and police. There was about 5% open area I noticed.

And now, how does it add up to 60% open space if they have designated 100 meter chair areas then alternating 10 meter open areas??

blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Oh, and how about the removing all their crap every evening so the place doesn't look like a slum?

Edited by BoneRanger
  • Like 1

the destorted thai sense of ownership,as we see with parking and cart food sales,and general attitude''i thailand,you no thailand''..it is time for thais to realize they dont own the moon and the stars..

They THINK they own it because they paid some crooked official.

Go to war with those people I say.

• Like 1

I have been living in Thailand now for 4 coups since 1985. If you think that the military or another government can change things then you need to think again. Until the hearts and minds of the people change and stop looking for a free lunch then it will be status quo. Greed and laziness plus looking for something free has controlled this country for a long time and only the people can change it.

I pray that the people would give up greed and corruption and give Thailand a chance to move forward. Will they do it? They should try to think about their children and tomorrow. They can do it if they are willing to do so.

• Like 2

Usually in Thailand, reorganizing means more stuffing thing up than doing any good,

And what a perfect timing, now that the busy tourist season up us, they decided to

reorganize things.... just couldn't wait for quitter days could they?

Why should they wait for quieter times? Reorganising when it is busy makes much more sense as more of the high season visitors will be able to make use of the extra space that is theoretically being created. What sense is there in making the beach more spacious when there are fewer visitors?

Pakorn said new zoning means 60 percent of the beach is now free to use for the public, up from the previous 50 percent.

10% cleanup

Kind of "symbolic" whistling.gif

That would be the bit under water and quickly reclaimed by an aggressive chair vendor as the tide recedes.

Don't forget to leave a patch for the jet-ski negotiations.

I am on holiday in Pattaya at present and was very disappointed to see vendors stalls on the beach road promenade over the New Year. I was here in September as I really enjoyed walking the promenade. However this time the stalls were so close between the beach side and the road it was often dificult to walk especially when people were browsing goods. This was first done a few years ago as a temporary measure to help vendors in Bangkok effected by flooding but now it seems to occur each year. I did notice that the deck chair areas seem to be more regulated so some good is being done.

• Like 2

Previous 50% means someone is delusional.

The 50% that was supposed to be open was sold by the city and police. There was about 5% open area I noticed.

And now, how does it add up to 60% open space if they have designated 100 meter chair areas then alternating 10 meter open areas??

blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Oh, and how about the removing all their crap every evening so the place doesn't look like a slum?

The 50% is the space between the water and the chairs (in front of chairs) and the 10% is between the chairs. Only logical way to get the 60 % figure that they are coming up with. The problem is you loose the 50% when high tide comes in.

Business as usual....

There has already been a reorganization at Jomtien. The chair concession I have been going to for 6 years has been moved 4 plots north. The family that runs it has had it 35 years. They work it morning to nightfall. 365 days a year. These people work long and hard to make a go of it. Some of the comments on here make me wonder.

• Like 2