Why Hua Hin?

bbqboy

I don't know why people are so nasty to the OP.

He tell and ask about HH. What's the problem.

As I never myself have been to HH, it is good for me reading what other people have of experience.

Have a nice day.

You have already answered your own question with this little gem, As I never myself have been to HH,

If you have never been to HH, please let me know what qualifies you to post such thought provoking questions as, What's the problem.

Please take the time to visit this part of Thailand, then feel free to come on here and make comment.

Never having visited Peru I wouldnt make comments, positive or negative about what anyone would write about the place.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

As I never myself have been to HH, it is good for me reading what other people have of experience.

Have a nice day.

You have already answered your own question with this little gem, As I never myself have been to HH,

If you have never been to HH, please let me know what qualifies you to post such thought provoking questions as, What's the problem.

Please take the time to visit this part of Thailand, then feel free to come on here and make comment.

Never having visited Peru I wouldnt make comments, positive or negative about what anyone would write about the place.

Have a nice day.

"If you have never been to HH, please let me know what qualifies you to post such thought provoking questions as, What's the problem."

You are the problem, not being able to read and understand a text.

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming
  • Like 2

Have a nice day.

Have a nice day.

"If you have never been to HH, please let me know what qualifies you to post such thought provoking questions as, What's the problem."

You are the problem, not being able to read and understand a text.

Your IQ so low and You do not have a clue what You talking about. I feel sorry for You.

Best you stick to Pattaya mate.

As for my IQ or lack of, I think it reflects more on your lack of English, never mind, probably caused by the cigarette smoke and alcohol in yer avatar, either that or the onset of alzheimers.

• Like 2

I have been living here in HH for five years and prior to that BKK, I have also travelled extensively both in Thailand and SE Asia.

I used to really like this town and thought it had a lot going for it but the op brings up many valid points. The very worst thing here is how ugly the town has become with too much huge ugly signage, the traffic is bad every weekend in fact so bad we don't venture out to the mall or down town on weekends. The traffic will only get worse when the new mall which is only a few hundred meters from the existing one opens, add to that the new water park another few hundred meters away same road.

There are 7000 new condos coming on the market this year 2015 between HH and Cha Am, how the hell the town will cope with this load of new people and cars is beyond me, and yes some of them will be weekenders only but that takes care of the already over crowded weekends.

Some of the beach vendors before being kicked out were right bandits along with the local taxis, I have my own car so rarely use them but have in the past, I live 3km from BKK hospital and seems the standard charge is 250 baht, excessive would you not agree.

I could go on but this post would get too long.

We are moving out in March bought a house in Korat a town and area we really like,a new build that would cost triple the price in HH and there is nothing here that I will miss.

• Like 2

yours is a valid query. here are my reasons for choosing Hua Hin as my permanent residence :

1) it is within easy driving distance (2.5-3 hrs) from bangkok, so no need to fly anywhere when you have your business in BKK or seek an urban experience

2) it is not infested with girlie bars or overt prostitution, which helps keep sex tourists (and easter european maffia) away

3) in its immediate proximity are long and wide, largely unspoilt beaches (kao takiab and beyond)

4) with the royal residence in town, safety, security, policing and other city services are relatively good (by thai standards)

5) it is a relatively 'dull' town, by thai standards : this suits us, 'pensionados', perfectly. but there's still enough to do (shopping, 5* hotels, water parks, golf, restaurants, night market, etc.)

6) if i were a golfer, the plethora of excellent golf courses around HH might perhaps be my Number One reason for living here

your concerns (city planning, stray dogs, dirt, traffic) are legitimate, but certainly not exclusive to Hua Hin : living in thailand, we've learnt to cope.

so much for my 2 cents' worth.

Some great points!

• 1 month later...

Hua Hin is boring and full of coffin dodgers

We're all dodging coffins regardless of our age smile.png

The thing about Hua Hin is that it's got a lot less a$$holes than some other places, like Pattaya for example. They're still here but in fewer numbers.

Places like Pattaya appear to be a magnet for the anti social types. I'm aware that there a lot of regular perfectly normal people who live in Pattaya but the ratio of 'ordinary' to 'crazy nut jobs' appears to be a little out of balance over there. I would include Thai's and foreigners in that generalisation.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Yikes, so many comments don't know where to start.

Like so many said, everything is comparative and whether or not you like a place depends on many factors. When we were in Bangkok we met people who loved living there. We gave it 3 weeks and were happy to leave. We liked Hua Hin much more but, for us, wouldn't be a place we would want to live in long term. Chiang Mai - mom's lived there 10 years and over the last few she complains endlessly of traffic and pollution. We've been in Nong Khai for a month now and actually really enjoy it - beautiful location, just enough of a tourist infrastructure, and the cleanest Thai town we've come across yet. We could easily settle here for a while. A lot of people wouldn't agree but (for us) really perfect as far as Thailand goes.

A lot of people getting upset but really was just an opinion piece (no boss by the way, no one paying for this). Appreciate the people who took the time to write the good about the town, I'll edit the post down the line and include some of the more helpful extracts as a counter-argument.

Mikosan - Angela and Chris were there 3 days. So if I get criticism for not getting a feel of the place after 5 weeks...

Jagfx - that was our goal as well, to find a base while travelling around SE Asia.

Nielsk - Thanks, appreciate it. Lots of the usual suspects on forums and not worth getting into it. I previously wrote about them in this post: http://bbqboy.net/travel-forums-101-dealing-trolls-haters-expats-uglies/. Best to just let them vent and wish them a happy new year.

I advise visiting during the burning season before getting too deep into plans about settling.

Things I like best about Hua Hin:

- If there is a better combination of good air quality, access to a variety of western style amenities and able to get to the either the center of bangkok or it's airports usually in less than 4 hours, please tell me about it.

- It's not a sexpat destination. Among the worst parts of such locations are the resident expat men. It has nothing to do with their use of rent-a-girls.

However, at the rate it's growing, living nearby may be a more attractive option. Those who came here years before me have led the way. The most obvious growth related problem is traffic. Those who complain about it remind me of those in Los Angeles who complain about the traffic: they'd rather complain about it than adjust to driving when and where there is less traffic. Heaven forbid one were to suggest to such car owning people they could get most anywhere in town at most anytime much easier on a motorbike.

Edited by ItDontMeanAThing

Some people will take this post the wrong way. It's not meant to offend. We were in Hua Hin for 5 weeks and although we appreciated all the amenities available to foreigners there were too many things about the town that turned us off: the traffic, the dirtiness, the selling out of the entire beach area to the Hilton/Centara Grande. The pier looks like its about to break apart and is just swarming with stray dogs. There doesn't seem to be any central planning.

We're travel bloggers and wrote about it here in more detail: http://bbqboy.net/things-consider-retiring-hua-hin-thailand-isnt-us/. I'm curious really about why people retire in Hua Hin. Have I missed something? Do most long term residents actually live in town or along the coast a little further from downtown? Do you enjoy life in Hua Hin and if so why?

Appreciate any feedback.

I think Hua Hin is suits families with kids and senior citizens. The beach is not good and the water along the beach isnt good. I like prefer booking a hotel and hanging out and browsing around Pranburi and Sam Roi Yot if im anyway going to take the car ride to Hua Hin.

• 2 weeks later...

305 baht bus ride to BKK that in off peak hours gets me there in 3 1/2 hours.

Having lived in Patong and experienced the taxi ride for the airport ride go from 500 baht to 600 to 800 and a month a go 950 baht, the cost effective bus is something.

I have taken the train sometimes and 45 baht into central bangkok isn't too shabby

My big dream is that the Hua Hun airport gets domestic flights again.

Post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes, so many comments don't know where to start.

Like so many said, everything is comparative and whether or not you like a place depends on many factors. When we were in Bangkok we met people who loved living there. We gave it 3 weeks and were happy to leave. We liked Hua Hin much more but, for us, wouldn't be a place we would want to live in long term. Chiang Mai - mom's lived there 10 years and over the last few she complains endlessly of traffic and pollution. We've been in Nong Khai for a month now and actually really enjoy it - beautiful location, just enough of a tourist infrastructure, and the cleanest Thai town we've come across yet. We could easily settle here for a while. A lot of people wouldn't agree but (for us) really perfect as far as Thailand goes.

A lot of people getting upset but really was just an opinion piece (no boss by the way, no one paying for this). Appreciate the people who took the time to write the good about the town, I'll edit the post down the line and include some of the more helpful extracts as a counter-argument.

Mikosan - Angela and Chris were there 3 days. So if I get criticism for not getting a feel of the place after 5 weeks...

Jagfx - that was our goal as well, to find a base while travelling around SE Asia.

Nielsk - Thanks, appreciate it. Lots of the usual suspects on forums and not worth getting into it. I previously wrote about them in this post: http://bbqboy.net/travel-forums-101-dealing-trolls-haters-expats-uglies/. Best to just let them vent and wish them a happy new year.

I advise visiting during the burning season before getting too deep into plans about settling.

Has the burning season started? Chiang Mai on the news today...

post-218758-14266011941627_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So some posters don't like the beach? One picture of Hua hin beach, second 5 minutes south of hua hin.

Nicer than some beaches in Australia.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1425027032.676667.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1425027051.573589.jpg

I'm agreeing here, I don't get people that keep saying Hua Hin beach is nasty. Are you guys just repeating what you have heard somewhere else and not actually visiting the place?

On second thoughts it is nasty, please don't go there (more beach for me).

So some posters don't like the beach? One picture of Hua hin beach, second 5 minutes south of hua hin.

Nicer than some beaches in Australia.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1425027032.676667.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1425027051.573589.jpg

I'm agreeing here, I don't get people that keep saying Hua Hin beach is nasty. Are you guys just repeating what you have heard somewhere else and not actually visiting the place?

On second thoughts it is nasty, please don't go there (more beach for me).

I understand the "nasty" comments. There is a lot of garbage on parts of the beach. The locals and tourists don't appreciate the need to take their garbage with them when they leave. Water quality isn't particularly good, not that the general public will ever know because water quality isn't publicized, nor is there an open and honest approach to testing the water quality and posting the results. If you want to have more of the beach, please start where the jet skis do their refuelling on the beach and in the water, or try the sections where the storm runoff overflows because the natural areas have been cemented over, or where the restaurants leave their operating residues. These areas can be all yours. Just remember you may have to share with the arrogant and aggressive kite sailing businesses who monopolize parts of the beach and who tell non customers to leave their areas as they "control" them.

I spent Xmas in Hua Hin last year with my lovely Thai gf.

Staying in the centre of Hua Hin is busy....but plenty of decent eateries...although could have been better music options...live that is.

Beach is OK...and got better as we walked further out of town.

Visited a couple of other beaches...whose names I will of course get a slap around the head for forgetting from you know who....but they were great....one quite busy but the further south...the quieter.

Probably where we would head if we visit again.

Oh OP...we only had five days but that's my quick blog....sorry I can't elaborate but duty/beer calls!

Edited by smokie36

• 3 weeks later...

Posts Edited containing links to websites

12) You will not spam in any way, shape or form, through mail, PM, forum post, or any other method.
Thaivisa.com considers any method of actively, or passively promoting a commercial entity, that you
have an interest in, including websites or personal blogs, and is not a sponsor, as spamming. (Including
third parties acting on your behalf.) This is to ensure the integrity of reviews, and advice given to/by
our members. Spamming is using the forums to advertise or promote a business for commercial gain

Contact Advertise link at the bottom of each page if you wish to promote your website / blog