Census? Thai lady ringing on door bells asking questions

roly

Anyone know what this is all about?

I was at home today and the missus was out at work, when the doorbell rang. It was a Thai lady wearing an official-looking beige uniform (not police, but looking like some kind of official anyway) and a clipboard. She asked if I spoke Thai (which I do, moderately), and then asked my girlfriend's name which she duly wrote down, and she also asked me what my job was - to which I replied none as I am a student here.

I conversed in Thai but still couldn't really understand what she was doing.

She then rang all the doorbells in the street and presumably asked similar questions. Is it a census or what? I'm quite intrigued :-)

Cheers,

Roly

Any stranger that comes to my house doesn't get through the gates to come near the door.... when they see the dog running at the gates they get off quick enough.

They either want money or information and they get neither.

Oh, I wouldn't say that - they've already found out that you're an awkward cuss.

• Like 2

The beige uniform appears to be the general one worn by various govt departments.

What would raise my concerns is why is she wearing this uniform and asking questions when all my family members who usually wear that uniform on Mondays (Moph, Teachers and Tessaban staff) are all enjoying a 5 day Govt holiday.

Exactly...!!!!

Any stranger that comes to my house doesn't get through the gates to come near the door.... when they see the dog running at the gates they get off quick enough.

Are you in House Arrest and in Bail Custody or what? Recluse perhaps? Just living the life???clap2.gif

• Like 1

As other comments state the uniformed woman was trolling.

However, in the interests of the community, I'll respond with the following:

Strong locks on first and second windows and doors to upgrade all your point-of-entry security.

Install outside lighting to illuminate dark corners near the entry.

Install night vision camera, conspicuous and non-conspicuous CCTV

Connect to wifi.

BUY some air horns.

Develop a cell phone alert system w/ gf

Baseball bat.

Stuff like that.

You can take all this stuff with you when you change dwellings.

• Like 1

Maybe it is market research - so they on-sell the list to call centres that will ring you at inconvenient times to pester you about crap that you don't want.

Judging the cost of electricity per household based on occupants. New rates are coming. With organized brown outs at times of the night to be advised. I have no basis in fact for this comment. The thought just came to me out of the blue or was it the grey??saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCdW09GY8hGgoof.gif.pagespeed.ce.KJ2oZpgSLmsZk1sTV4

Are you in House Arrest and in Bail Custody or what? Recluse perhaps? Just living the life???clap2.gif

No! ....just not a mug who talks to uninvited strangers wink.png I don't mind if you feel the need though tongue.png

Tell them nothing, take their photos and photos of their Thai ID cards, etc.

Scams abound.

Example:

Several years back some ‘government officers’ with lots of gold on their shoulders knocked on the door of a Thai relative in a Roi Et. village

They had lots of documents but no extra copies, and they were asking ‘aunty’ to sign to give permission for the government to put a very big electricity cable tower on her property (concrete block about 8 metres by 8 metres) all coming with a 10% reduction in her electric bill for life.

Aunty was no fool, she demanded to have copies of the documents to show her son. The ‘government officers’ insisted that by law they couldn’t give her any copies, she just needed to sign.

Aunty refused.

They went to the next house and by coincidence a relative with a senior position in EGAT was visiting. He confiscated their documents and called a senior police officer in Bkk.

The documents were in fact giving permission for the sale of the whole piece of land to the ‘government officers’ personally, for a few thousand Baht.

Turned out the ‘government officers’ were real government officers out to trick the uneducated locals and the local village chief was part of the scam.

They had already convinced several other land owners in the village to sign. They were all canclelled.

They all did 2 years in jail.

Edited by scorecard

I have read this entire thread, so lets see if I have got the jist of it.

A guy is at home alone, doorbell rings, he answers. She is wearing a girl guides uniform and no panties carrying a basket of thin mints.

She asks the guy, in Thai, if he is home and lonely, he says "his girlfriend is at work." He says she is on her own too he then sets the dogs on her before she can read the electric metre or send him off to a concentration camp?

Am I missing something here, I just don't understand the problem, seems just a normal everyday thing to me.

P.S. Must go now, medication time.

Edited by BigBadGeordie
  • Like 2