Dog Attacks 4 Year Old at Koh Chang White Sand Beach

MarkOZ

A pet is not a street or beach dog. A pet is one that is cared for properly and kept on private property except when taken out for supervised exercise. Those kind of pets don't need desexing.

Ke esters, please go back a few more steps. This problem is perpetuated by dumped dogs and cats and the lack of desexing of pets. Clean it up and it will rebuild itself as a problem in due course.....you can bank on that.

Again, a multi facet approach needs to be adopted to control the problem. Denouncing people for assisting suffering animals isn't the answer.

As I said before these dogs are not pets. These dogs are stray, runaway, feral dogs not pets. While I agree that some action is needed in training people not to dump unwanted animals are we to suffer the existing huge population of these menacing animals for the next 10, 20, 50 years as they continue to breed. Let them all starve. Perhaps then the authorities will step in and do something. Feeding them is a major part of the problem. The more food they get the more they breed and the more young children such as the one in the OP will get hurt.

We eradicate mosquitoes, why not eradicate street and beach dogs?

Ke esters,

I will try to be more simplistic.

Imagine I remove all the soi dogs today, every one of them....not a single one left.

Tommorrow at 0001hrs the first Thai pet gets dumped or litter from a Thai pet gets dumped. By 2359 the next day there probably already a few hundred dogs roaming the streets, after a few short years we will be back to where we started at. I REALISE THIS IS A SIMPLISTIC MODEL.

As I said, a muti facet way of handling the problem is needed to deal with the issue. Simply trying to starve out the soi dogs is not the answer and wouldn't work. They will feed off their own dead, if they have to and keep breeding, heck they will even eat their own vulnerable. Bit like humans.

Cruelty is never the way.

A campaign to eradicate street dogs and strays is needed along with nuking of pets and a government body that deals with the problem. Anything short of this will fail.

There is the problem with the mindset of the people and Buddhist issues that probably mean the first steps will new be taken. Sad but true. So really, the main opponents to the problem have two choices....live with it or remove oneself from it....unless of course you think you and a few other pitch fork members can make it happen.

Me thinks not but I wish you well. Please understand, I understand your point about it not being a pet related problem, but if you pedal back a few dozen steps, you will find that dumped pets and offspring of pets is a major feeder for the soi dog and cat problems and this isn't trying to deny that they 'the soi animals' also breed.

Some years ago, the Samui authorities got serious and begun a dog cull by laying baits and issuing plenty of pre warnings of when and where by loudspeaker trucks for dog owners to ensure their dogs were tethered at home those days. Then they sent teams with tranquilizer darts so the stray dogs could be captured. This stopped after the teams were beaten up by do gooder farang tourists (mostly German). Every resort experiences Farang guests bringing beach dogs back to their bungalows even allowing the mutts to sleep in the rooms so DONT BLAME THE THAIS !

"This stopped after the teams were beaten up by do gooder farang tourists (mostly German)." - sorry this is not true - just gossip.

​One incident is not a portrayal of the whole situation and anyone with the slightest knowledge of Thailand will be aware of the problems of putting down one dog, let alone a cull.

If you want a more complete picture, Google the attempted cull in Bangkok a few years back.

There is even an unfortunate tenet of sone Buddhism and Animism that suggests to some people that killing a dog may be killing one of your ancestors.......apart from the idea that ALL life is sacred...right down to mosquitoes.....

Interesting that this post was posted today as just 2 days ago while entering the Makro store in our area, while my wife's sister in law had her 6 year old child in tow and while entering the store, there was a dog near the door entrance and being of medium size and being a mongrel of course and for some reason after the 6 year old child passed by the dog, the dog quickly got in behind the boy and started to go for the back of his leg.

The kid was mindful of the dog and reacted by pulling his leg forward but the dog still managed to snap at the kids leg while it looked to me like the child did not get bitten.

I was lagging behind about 8 to 10 feet and really was not paying attention until the last second or 2 while I also saw the security guard at the door make movements to scare off the dog, which I appreciated, as usually Thai people will do nothing.

But the dog veered off towards me in general and the timing was near perfect and that dog received a surprise kick to the neck, but not as hard as I had intended because of my positioning and the timing when I started to begin to kick the dog in the head, but connected with the dogs neck instead and not as hard as I had wanted to...but enough to have the dog yelp out loudly and take off with its tail between its leg while it more or less bolted towards where the cars would be coming by to stop in front of the store to drop people off or load up their groceries

I was sort of disappointed the dog did not get hit by any of the cars moving about in front to the store.

The guard more or less just smirked at me and while I held up both hands in the air with that : What? .....sort of gesture.

Then I said to the guard in Thai: 'Is that your dog while he was shaking his head saying: "My Chai"

While I said to the guard: The dog is dangerous, do not let the dog hang a round here in front of the store trying to bite people.

While the Guard said in Thai: Lroo, Rue Laow.

That was all.... but if the guard already knows the dog should not be there then hearing him say: "I know, I know already".... just makes you wonder about the mentality of Thais and just fortifies that they seldom ever think ahead about the ramifications of the situation.

Not their concern ..right?

When we all passed the entrance area the wife was all perplexed as to what was going on as she was just ahead carrying our 2 year son in her arms and I was thinking it could have been our 2 year old son the dog made a move on had we decided to have him walking instead of carrying him into the store and what could have possibly happened.

The 6 year old was now telling his mother the dog bit him while I thought the dog did not quite connect but when he lifted up the back of his pant leg you could see vague scrape marks where the teeth had skimmed over the skin but had not broken the skin.

Point being....I have no hesitation at all ..none at all to lay the boots to any Thai dog or otherwise that makes any aggressive move at all on me or certainly my child or any child if and when I am there to do so.

Many people are afraid of dogs, especially if they are larger and I know well that a large dog can do you damage ..but I do not hesitate to confront them and put the boots to the dog...hard... or pick up any available weapon at all....and sure enough they ALL run away as they are not expecting you to stand your ground.

Would they ALL run away....I do not know for sure ....but the numerous times I have been confronted by one dog or even a pack of them, all I have ever done is pick up a rock or stick or anything to be used as a weapon and they all begin to bolt........so maybe I am lucky.......but I am not going to stand by while a dog begins to tear apart a child while the animal rights people do not even enter into the equation.

Cheers

do you not think it is a sad situation that requires you to hand out advice like this?

The real worry is when more vicious breeds of dog get into the soi pool. Although there is a fashion for those silly handbag size dogs, there is also one for the larger variety. Around us we have a st Bernard (madness in this climate) several Huskies, and of course the odd fighting type dog of unknown breed that look like cross's of Pitbull or Stafordshire bull terriers. Soi dogs are for the moment smallish and tend to back down, this might not always be the case.

This guy goes on a bit but these sticks are a good idea, I got one from outside tesco for 100 baht. If I walk at night I take it and had to flick it out at dog packs a couple of times, scares the shit out of them, for now!

Interesting that this post was posted today as just 2 days ago while entering the Makro store in our area, while my wife's sister in law had her 6 year old child in tow and while entering the store, there was a dog near the door entrance and being of medium size and being a mongrel of course and for some reason after the 6 year old child passed by the dog, the dog quickly got in behind the boy and started to go for the back of his leg.

The kid was mindful of the dog and reacted by pulling his leg forward but the dog still managed to snap at the kids leg while it looked to me like the child did not get bitten.

I was lagging behind about 8 to 10 feet and really was not paying attention until the last second or 2 while I also saw the security guard at the door make movements to scare off the dog, which I appreciated, as usually Thai people will do nothing.

But the dog veered off towards me in general and the timing was near perfect and that dog received a surprise kick to the neck, but not as hard as I had intended because of my positioning and the timing when I started to begin to kick the dog in the head, but connected with the dogs neck instead and not as hard as I had wanted to...but enough to have the dog yelp out loudly and take off with its tail between its leg while it more or less bolted towards where the cars would be coming by to stop in front of the store to drop people off or load up their groceries

I was sort of disappointed the dog did not get hit by any of the cars moving about in front to the store.

The guard more or less just smirked at me and while I held up both hands in the air with that : What? .....sort of gesture.

Then I said to the guard in Thai: 'Is that your dog while he was shaking his head saying: "My Chai"

While I said to the guard: The dog is dangerous, do not let the dog hang a round here in front of the store trying to bite people.

That was all.... but if the guard already knows the dog should not be there then hearing him say: "I know, I know already".... just makes you wonder about the mentality of Thais and just fortifies that they seldom ever think ahead about the ramifications of the situation.

When we all passed the entrance area the wife was all perplexed as to what was going on as she was just ahead carrying our 2 year son in her arms and I was thinking it could have been our 2 year old son the dog made a move on had we decided to have him walking instead of carrying him into the store and what could have possibly happened.

The 6 year old was now telling his mother the dog bit him while I thought the dog did not quite connect but when he lifted up the back of his pant leg you could see vague scrape marks where the teeth had skimmed over the skin but had not broken the skin.

Point being....I have no hesitation at all ..none at all to lay the boots to any Thai dog or otherwise that makes any aggressive move at all on me or certainly my child or any child if and when I am there to do so.

Many people are afraid of dogs, especially if they are larger and I know well that a large dog can do you damage ..but I do not hesitate to confront them and put the boots to the dog...hard... or pick up any available weapon at all....and sure enough they ALL run away as they are not expecting you to stand your ground.

Would they ALL run away....I do not know for sure ....but the numerous times I have been confronted by one dog or even a pack of them, all I have ever done is pick up a rock or stick or anything to be used as a weapon and they all begin to bolt........so maybe I am lucky.......but I am not going to stand by while a dog begins to tear apart a child while the animal rights people do not even enter into the equation.

Cheers

do you not think it is a sad situation that requires you to hand out advice like this?

what is your point...what are you implying exactly

Cheers

which part of the question don't you understand?

I am the most vigilant parent there is so unless you have small children please do not comment.

My daughter did NOT PROVOKE THIS ATTACK.

ACCEPT THIS IS A PROBLEM.

Mark, many people have never had children or have forgotten what it's like when they're young. Eyes in the back of your head etc. Doesn't matter how vigilant you are, these things sometimes happen.

The problems of stray dogs seems pronounced in Thailand. Couple of my elderly neighbors have been bitten whilst waling or cycling for exercise in our Moobaan, After dark you need a stick or something just in case. We have good security but still they wander in.

That dog is a biter and your daughter won't be the last victim and probably not the first. It needs dealing with. Hope she recovers quickly.

Must have seen at least 40 on a short local ride today, one even bit out security guard two days ago. Yet idiots still put collars on them to stop the dogs being taken away, of course they take no responsibility other than the odd bowl of left over rice. Shit everywhere, barking, biting and pissing, they need to be done away with. Thais seem oblivious to the dangers from dog shit for youngsters, they will only believe if a Thai tells them, or when a kid goes blind. I regularly sweep up the shit off our park, kilos of it a week, I think Thais think I am a bit nuts but kids roll around all over the place so I think it's worth the effort.

Off topic,

Just to point out the dog pooh & blindness story is complete rubbish.

How many blind kids do you know that cite dog pooh for the cause?

Yet if one proven case were to happen, it would be in the news all over the world.

PS

I would have killed the dog, owner or no.

PPS

Best wishes to little girl and family, hope the scars are zero or minimal.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Cheers

which part of the question don't you understand?

It is not your question that I am not understanding rather the way that you have asked the question......while seemingly implying something that you do not like about what I have written.

If that is not the case........ then yes it is a sad situation and my heart felt condolences to the family and their child as I have been bitten by a dog while on holidays here in Thailand back in 1981 when the dog got in behind me and nipped me on the back of the leg...and then I was about to put the boots to the dog but a Thai person ( the House maid ) intervened and pulled off the dog before it could go for me any further.

Had the sad situation posted by the OP never happened I would still be telling people about how I put my boots to that dog at the Makro store, that needed to have the boots put to its head after it aggressively tried to attack a child....because it seems to be somewhat of a problem here in Thailand...to a degree.

And I am not at all hesitant to tell you or anyone else that if your dog or anyone elses dog goes for a child then I will be the first one to gladly intervene and kick the "shit" out of that dog.

Why?...because for some reason...while I imagine others will understand also ....I believe a child's life is more important than a dogs life...as that is just the bitter truth of the matter and the reality when it comes down to what is more important........the child or the dog??.

Cheers and have yourself a good evening and do not be upset or think I am venting at you...maybe your dog...but not you.

Edited by gemguy
  • Like 2

Must have seen at least 40 on a short local ride today, one even bit out security guard two days ago. Yet idiots still put collars on them to stop the dogs being taken away, of course they take no responsibility other than the odd bowl of left over rice. Shit everywhere, barking, biting and pissing, they need to be done away with. Thais seem oblivious to the dangers from dog shit for youngsters, they will only believe if a Thai tells them, or when a kid goes blind. I regularly sweep up the shit off our park, kilos of it a week, I think Thais think I am a bit nuts but kids roll around all over the place so I think it's worth the effort.

Off topic,

Yet if one proven case were to happen, it would be in the news all over the world.

PS

I would have killed the dog, owner or no.

PPS

Best wishes to little girl and family, hope the scars are zero or minimal.

Toxocariasis - a roundworm that causes blindness - the most common source is via contamination with dog poo.

Toxocariasis.........

Oxford Journal......

“......the seroprevalence of Toxocara infection has been estimated to be 4%–31% in developed countries and may increase to 86% in tropical regions,”

Children are most at risk as they often play on ground contaminated by dog faeces.

These and other parasites are not designed to live in humans, can be thrown out or get “stuck” in the wrong place in a human - they can cause no symptoms at all right up to blindness.

In the media...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2242751/Girl-nearly-goes-blind-inadvertently-eating-parasite-dog-mess-travelled-stomach-EYEBALL.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-11012044

http://news.sky.com/story/981680/pet-owners-warned-parasites-can-cause-blindness

Edited by wilcopops

This guy goes on a bit but these sticks are a good idea, I got one from outside tesco for 100 baht. If I walk at night I take it and had to flick it out at dog packs a couple of times, scares the shit out of them, for now!

Extendable batons are a good self defense tool, and that's what they are. Whether against human or dog.

However, like all self defense tools they are a weapon. Someone asked the TV lawyer if these could be carried. The police could confiscate the baton and fine you if they so wished. Just bear that in mind about where, when and how you carry it. If the guy in the video is out and about wandering the Soi's he might find himself stopped and searched by the BiB who would probably take an interest in what he was carrying.

A walking stick or stout umbrella would also do the trick.

There is a huge difference between humans and dogs. Its a strawman argument. No problem with responsible dog owners that is not the problem

yeah humans should know better.. not sticking up for the dog,,but was it teased or provoked?

That makes no differance. How the hell do you expect a 4 year old to know ? Best thing is start up a Koh Chang Fried Dog business,as long as they last,that is ok..

I would be against a KFC style bussiness,as you would have to set up a breeding program,But there again it would last a few months I am sure.

Off topic,

Here's one

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/3149334/Mothers-fight-against-dog-fouling-after-daughters-loss-of-sight.html

I'm sure with a little research you'd find many more.

• Like 1

There is a huge difference between humans and dogs. Its a strawman argument. No problem with responsible dog owners that is not the problem

yeah humans should know better.. not sticking up for the dog,,but was it teased or provoked?

That makes no differance. How the hell do you expect a 4 year old to know ? Best thing is start up a Koh Chang Fried Dog business,as long as they last,that is ok..

I would be against a KFC style bussiness,as you would have to set up a breeding program,But there again it would last a few months I am sure.

Just to add,it would make a break from the pussy sandwich diet,that most seem to be on.

Toxocariasis - a roundworm that causes blindness - the most common source is via contamination with dog poo.

How many children do you know that have gone blind from these worms?

I'm guessing none!

you really need to learn how to put forward and argument. You don't seem to realise how facile that post is.

As it happens there was a serious rise in the number of cases in a place where I lived - although I know of no-one who went blind there were many children found to be carrying the worm - which is only one of a range of diseases, parasites and viruses we can get from dogs - if you detect the disease it can be treated but this needs to be in time - detection is not necessarily carried out sufficiently quickly - in the village I was in some children, and adults, were presenting quite severe symptoms which raised the alarm.

in fact the rise in the disease and its appearance in adults as well as children was partly attributed a habit of people placing their plates on the floor for the dogs to finish the scraps. Unfortunately waking the plates after wasn't sufficient to remove the worm eggs/larvae, whatever and the infections started. Many people are infected and never know.....like dengue the disease can be symptomless or severe....and is certainly not to be treated as "rubbish".

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

A pet is not a street or beach dog. A pet is one that is cared for properly and kept on private property except when taken out for supervised exercise. Those kind of pets don't need desexing.

Ke esters, please go back a few more steps. This problem is perpetuated by dumped dogs and cats and the lack of desexing of pets. Clean it up and it will rebuild itself as a problem in due course.....you can bank on that.

Again, a multi facet approach needs to be adopted to control the problem. Denouncing people for assisting suffering animals isn't the answer.

As I said before these dogs are not pets. These dogs are stray, runaway, feral dogs not pets. While I agree that some action is needed in training people not to dump unwanted animals are we to suffer the existing huge population of these menacing animals for the next 10, 20, 50 years as they continue to breed. Let them all starve. Perhaps then the authorities will step in and do something. Feeding them is a major part of the problem. The more food they get the more they breed and the more young children such as the one in the OP will get hurt.

Ke esters,

Imagine I remove all the soi dogs today, every one of them....not a single one left.

Tommorrow at 0001hrs the first Thai pet gets dumped or litter from a Thai pet gets dumped. By 2359 the next day there probably already a few hundred dogs roaming the streets, after a few short years we will be back to where we started at. I REALISE THIS IS A SIMPLISTIC MODEL.

As I said, a muti facet way of handling the problem is needed to deal with the issue. Simply trying to starve out the soi dogs is not the answer and wouldn't work. They will feed off their own dead, if they have to and keep breeding, heck they will even eat their own vulnerable. Bit like humans.

A campaign to eradicate street dogs and strays is needed along with nuking of pets and a government body that deals with the problem. Anything short of this will fail.

There is the problem with the mindset of the people and Buddhist issues that probably mean the first steps will new be taken. Sad but true. So really, the main opponents to the problem have two choices....live with it or remove oneself from it....unless of course you think you and a few other pitch fork members can make it happen.

Me thinks not but I wish you well. Please understand, I understand your point about it not being a pet related problem, but if you pedal back a few dozen steps, you will find that dumped pets and offspring of pets is a major feeder for the soi dog and cat problems and this isn't trying to deny that they 'the soi animals' also breed.

Some years ago, the Samui authorities got serious and begun a dog cull by laying baits and issuing plenty of pre warnings of when and where by loudspeaker trucks for dog owners to ensure their dogs were tethered at home those days. Then they sent teams with tranquilizer darts so the stray dogs could be captured. This stopped after the teams were beaten up by do gooder farang tourists (mostly German). Every resort experiences Farang guests bringing beach dogs back to their bungalows even allowing the mutts to sleep in the rooms so DONT BLAME THE THAIS !

"This stopped after the teams were beaten up by do gooder farang tourists (mostly German)." - sorry this is not true - just gossip.

​One incident is not a portrayal of the whole situation and anyone with the slightest knowledge of Thailand will be aware of the problems of putting down one dog, let alone a cull.

If you want a more complete picture, Google the attempted cull in Bangkok a few years back.

There is even an unfortunate tenet of sone Buddhism and Animism that suggests to some people that killing a dog may be killing one of your ancestors.......apart from the idea that ALL life is sacred...right down to mosquitoes.....

This is a load of bullsxxt, Thais dont care about anyone but themselves,let alone animals....

You can judge a nation,buy the way it treats their animals, I think this is a quote by the great Gandi

• Like 1

Talking about dogs. What about all the Thais that let their house dogs bark without any end? Training a dog to be quiet is not part of the curriculum is it?

One has to be really braindead to be able to ignore this 24/7. The dog problem is just another thing that will never change without the Thais growing up and facing reality.

Is it laziness, lack of caring, lack of responsibility or pure stupidity?

I hope your daughters wounds will heal properly mate and that her scars will fade in time.

• Like 2

Ke esters,

"Imagine I remove all the soi dogs today, every one of them....not a single one left.

Tommorrow at 0001hrs the first Thai pet gets dumped or litter from a Thai pet gets dumped. By 2359 the next day there probably already a few hundred dogs roaming the streets, after a few short years we will be back to where we started at. I REALISE THIS IS A SIMPLISTIC MODEL."

this is not "simplistic' it is downright unrealistic....you're explaining a process that doesn't happen with a situation that can't happen.

Firstly you can't do that, but you seem to be saying that dumping is the primary source - the dog population owes little or nothing to dumping of animals - it has been around of decades if not longer and is self perpetuating.Dumping is not the source of dogs. DOMESTIC dogs are of course a problem: what happens is they get to breed with Soi dogs - ...if it is a feral bitch she will slink off and have the litter in the wild.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

there seems to be some confusion - restricting food supplies is NOT the same as "starving" the dogs.

All dogs will at some point "go to doggy heaven" - admittedly for the average Soi Dog, this is not a pretty process, usually involving a lot of puss pain and suffering - (the easy way out is under the wheels of a car.)

What happens if you restrict the food supply is that the number of dogs that can survive in an area is directly proportional to the amount of food available.

If there is less for certain natural behaviours cut in.

Weaker dogs are forced out of the area, and of course will have less chance to breed as a result, older dogs will die off quicker BUT........... Primarily the bitches don't come on heat as they instinctively know that there is not enough food around to raise a litter. (In fact if they DO have a litter it is quite possible the pups wil be eaten) This leads to an ever ageing dog population and BINGO! Bob's your uncle, less and less dogs.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

there seems to be some confusion - restricting food supplies is NOT the same as "starving" the dogs.

All dogs will at some point "go to doggy heaven" - admittedly for the average Soi Dog, this is not a pretty process, usually involving a lot of puss pain and suffering - (the easy way out is under the wheels of a car.)

What happens if you restrict the food supply is that the number of dogs that can survive in an area is directly proportional to the amount of food available.

If there is less for certain natural behaviours cut in.

Weaker dogs are forced out of the area, and of course will have less chance to breed as a result, older dogs will die off quicker BUT........... Primarily the bitches don't come on heat as they instinctively know that there is not enough food around to raise a litter. (In fact if they DO have a litter it is quite possible the pups wil be eaten) This leads to an ever ageing dog population and BINGO! Bob's your uncle, less and less dogs.

Would not feeding but leaving dogs to scrounge what they can from bins comply with 'restricting'? And could this be seen as 'not cruel'?

Interested in your opinion. Thanks.

this is not "simplistic' it is downright unrealistic.

Firstly you can't do that, but you seem to be saying that dumping is the primary source - the dog population owes little or nothing to dumping of animals - it has been around of decades if not longer and is self perpetuating.Dumping is not the source of dogs. DOMESTIC dogs are of course a problem: what happens is they get to breed with Soi dogs - ...if it is a feral bitch she will slink off and have the litter in the wild.

No. I'm not saying that dumping is the primary source. I was simply stating that starving the street dogs or being cruel will make no difference.

Dumping of unwanted pets and offspring of pets is a problem in Thailand. I understand that some of these problems are because soi dogs get to the family pet and visa versa.

I also accept what you say about this. Not he solution to the problem is solved with animal control, through registration and desexing as well as taking control of what's happening in the street.

Starving dogs in the street and bashing their heads in with clubs might make some of the grubby foreigners on this forum feel big but it won't solve the problem and their kidding themselves that it will.

I am the most vigilant parent there is so unless you have small children please do not comment.

My daughter did NOT PROVOKE THIS ATTACK.

ACCEPT THIS IS A PROBLEM.

Mark, many people have never had children or have forgotten what it's like when they're young. Eyes in the back of your head etc. Doesn't matter how vigilant you are, these things sometimes happen.

The problems of stray dogs seems pronounced in Thailand. Couple of my elderly neighbors have been bitten whilst waling or cycling for exercise in our Moobaan, After dark you need a stick or something just in case. We have good security but still they wander in.

That dog is a biter and your daughter won't be the last victim and probably not the first. It needs dealing with. Hope she recovers quickly.

The other thing that everyone has to be concerned about is the possibility of contracting Rabies...sorry to say ...but it is something that will also have to be consider concerning the child's recovery and ..hopefully not...the possibility that the dog has Rabies.

Too many dogs fighting and biting and passing on any infections they have ...so...be aware and be vigilant.

Cheers