Dog Attacks 4 Year Old at Koh Chang White Sand Beach

MarkOZ

Koh Chang is long over due a cull of the scummy dogs that roam around the island. It is a huge problem, which could be dealt with swiftly and cheaply.

The island authorities are aware of this problem, but have done nothing about it.

I am sorry to hear that, which must have been a terrifying experience for your daughter, as well as the family. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

it is not a cull that is needed...dogs should be neutered by there owners easy and cheap ..

I take it you live on Koh Chang, or are you just making an assumption? A cull of the strays is needed full stop. Otherwise the dog problem will continue. Neutering will be useful after a cull.

been here 17+ years...never had a problem with the dogs...had loads with retarded drunk drivers Thai and westerners..sadly a child has been attacked..but how many people are injured daily by the drunk drivers,,should they be culled?

YES to be blunt!

• Like 2

Let's see how the soi dog lovers defend this mutts right to exist. I hope the little girl recovers from her traumatic experience without physical scarring.

Not too hard. OP States we were having breakfast , so how exactly did parents allow for child to wonder off on the beach with street dogs ?

Yes it is terrible and speedy recovery to a little girl, but hate to be the bashing spoiler, parents are 100 % responsible and are to blame

Wow, how stupid can one person be? A child should be safely allowed to go about its business without fear of attack by some stinking pointless vermin. What a vile attitude to blame the parents for this, engage brain before mouth

He doesn't have a brain.

• Like 2

This was posted for

Clawed Warrior

• 90x90xphoto-thumb-31474.jpg,q_r=14053297
Hang on a minute, i am on your side.

See my first post.

Hope she gets well soon

There needs to be a dog cull, simple

I spilled my coffee when I saw this. With a name like clawed warrior,gits no wonder the OP is after you.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

you cant blame soi dogs after the way they are treated by many thais who beat the crap out of soi dogs and basically make some dogs violent to attack kids on a beach

if thailand had alot better rights for animals you wouldnt see so many dogs looking to fight back against humans

animals have just as much right to live on this planet as humans do

They do.

Until they bite a 4 year old kid in the face.

If you think it is right to allow stray dogs to pack up (this is normally where the problems start as opposed to individual animals) then IMO you have your priorities all wrong.

I hope that you never have any of your family members put in the position of the OP's child.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this I lived on an Island in Central America and once a year they put in the local paper to keep your dog inside your yard or house they then would pick up all the street dogs and distort them . The tourist heard about it and it was a big deal even boycotting the Island. Go fig

Any person that feeds or in any other way assists to survive a street or beach dog is partially responsible for this attack and/or previous attacks and future attacks on innocent members of the public.

Hang em high.

Let's not worry about the people that created the problem by dumping dogs and not desexing their pets.

The problem needs to be managed busy the people and cruelty to animals is not the answer.

• Like 1

Any person that feeds or in any other way assists to survive a street or beach dog is partially responsible for this attack and/or previous attacks and future attacks on innocent members of the public.

Hang em high.

Let's not worry about the people that created the problem by dumping dogs and not desexing their pets.

The problem needs to be managed busy the people and cruelty to animals is not the answer.

A pet is not a street or beach dog. A pet is one that is cared for properly and kept on private property except when taken out for supervised exercise. Those kind of pets don't need desexing.

Hang em high.

A pet is not a street or beach dog. A pet is one that is cared for properly and kept on private property except when taken out for supervised exercise. Those kind of pets don't need desexing.

Ke esters, please go back a few more steps. This problem is perpetuated by dumped dogs and cats and the lack of desexing of pets. Clean it up and it will rebuild itself as a problem in due course.....you can bank on that.

Again, a multi facet approach needs to be adopted to control the problem. Denouncing people for assisting suffering animals isn't the answer.

Koh Chang is long over due a cull of the scummy dogs that roam around the island. It is a huge problem, which could be dealt with swiftly and cheaply.

The island authorities are aware of this problem, but have done nothing about it.

I am sorry to hear that, which must have been a terrifying experience for your daughter, as well as the family. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

it is not a cull that is needed...dogs should be neutered by there owners easy and cheap ..

I take it you live on Koh Chang, or are you just making an assumption? A cull of the strays is needed full stop. Otherwise the dog problem will continue. Neutering will be useful after a cull.

The strays on Koh Chang used to be culled every year, by the army. There were not many strays around when I first started visiting there years ago, but by the time I moved there in 2009, they were everywhere.

Why?

Because a foreigner came in and started campaigning against culling, while setting up shop and performing neuters and spays, at a price, on top of the "charitable" donations she received from well meaning foreigners. No, she's not a vet.

But Thais are reluctant to spay or neuter their mutts, and the street dogs have again increased enormously. Tourists get in serious motorbike accidents every year, and now the OPs little girl is savaged.

Hopefully, in the meantime, the army will come back in and deal with the problem. It would be nice, however, if they did not use strychnine this time. It's a wretched death.

OP, you might want to consider getting your little one a series of rabies shots.

EDIT: I hate spellcheckers.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Like 1

Ke esters, please go back a few more steps. This problem is perpetuated by dumped dogs and cats and the lack of desexing of pets. Clean it up and it will rebuild itself as a problem in due course.....you can bank on that.

Again, a multi facet approach needs to be adopted to control the problem. Denouncing people for assisting suffering animals isn't the answer.As I said before these dogs are not pets. These dogs are stray, runaway, feral dogs not pets. While I agree that some action is needed in training people not to dump unwanted animals are we to suffer the existing huge population of these menacing animals for the next 10, 20, 50 years as they continue to breed. Let them all starve. Perhaps then the authorities will step in and do something. Feeding them is a major part of the problem. The more food they get the more they breed and the more young children such as the one in the OP will get hurt.

We eradicate mosquitoes, why not eradicate street and beach dogs?

Ke esters,

I will try to be more simplistic.

Imagine I remove all the soi dogs today, every one of them....not a single one left.

Tommorrow at 0001hrs the first Thai pet gets dumped or litter from a Thai pet gets dumped. By 2359 the next day there probably already a few hundred dogs roaming the streets, after a few short years we will be back to where we started at. I REALISE THIS IS A SIMPLISTIC MODEL.

As I said, a muti facet way of handling the problem is needed to deal with the issue. Simply trying to starve out the soi dogs is not the answer and wouldn't work. They will feed off their own dead, if they have to and keep breeding, heck they will even eat their own vulnerable. Bit like humans.

Cruelty is never the way.

A campaign to eradicate street dogs and strays is needed along with nuking of pets and a government body that deals with the problem. Anything short of this will fail.

There is the problem with the mindset of the people and Buddhist issues that probably mean the first steps will new be taken. Sad but true. So really, the main opponents to the problem have two choices....live with it or remove oneself from it....unless of course you think you and a few other pitch fork members can make it happen.

Me thinks not but I wish you well. Please understand, I understand your point about it not being a pet related problem, but if you pedal back a few dozen steps, you will find that dumped pets and offspring of pets is a major feeder for the soi dog and cat problems and this isn't trying to deny that they 'the soi animals' also breed.

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

Would be relatively easy to deal with the dog problem on Kho Chang, and other places if not for Thainess. We tried in our village to get the buggers rounded up, about 20 of them, but guess what people actually complained that they should be left, and they have been and breeding. Dog problem will carry on until Thais change their attitudes and that will be a long time. Of course when kid gets bitten that's the time to suggest a round up again, until they see the problem they cannot see why anything should be done to actually prevent it.

Will reiterate and state that the re-introduction of the 'dog collector' vans that used to round up these strays and ship them to Vietnam would go a long way to solving the the soi dog problem. If the people involved were properly licenced and the transportation properly regulated so the dogs were not treated cruelly as they undoubtedly were in the past then I don't see how anyone could object.

Why not butcher the animals in Thailand and export the meat if you are worried how the dogs are treated in Vietnam. New Zealand does it with it's lamb destined for overseas.

However I suppose this is all just wishful thinking, in a Country that cannot even organise the correct price for a lottery ticket you really can't expect things to be well organised.

Incidentally Australia doesn't muck about with wild dogs

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-02/dingo-destroyed-after-lunging-at-11yo-girl-on-fraser-island/5997666

• Like 2

Keesters,

Your problem with me seems to be only the word, "Pets".

As I said, if people don't take care with their pets, the pets have offspring, often these offspring are dumped at temples. These dumped offspring quickly multiply and become a problem.

To fix the end problem you need a solution to the start of the process.

Nuking = desexing.

If Thai pets arnt desexed they will breed and reproduce.

Again, I acknowledge soi animals also reproduce, but both problems need to be addresses simultaneously. Getting hooked up on a single word proves you are having difficulties with the basics. They are dogs and cats. Let's not over complicate it.

Maybe you are new to Thailand and therefore this is all very overwhelming for you, let me give you a tip, it's been this way for a very very long time. ;)

In keesters world, soi dogs merely descended on the earth in special space ships from another planet with an intent to eat little children.

Running around screaming with ones hands in the air is the way to solve the problem, apparently.

This is a human induced problem. Happens in many countries around the world and will be difficult to solve and even more difficult to solve humanely.

Dancing around on TVF getting upset about people feeding soi dogs won't change one iota of anything in Thailand. I can guarantee that.

Keesters,

As I said, if people don't take care with their pets, the pets have offspring, often these offspring are dumped at temples. These dumped offspring quickly multiply and become a problem.

Nuking = desexing.

Again, I acknowledge soi animals also reproduce, but both problems need to be addresses simultaneously. Getting hooked up on a single word proves you are having difficulties with the basics. They are dogs and cats. Let's not over complicate it.

Maybe you are new to Thailand and therefore this is all very overwhelming for you, let me give you a tip, it's been this way for a very very long time. wink.png

But they are no longer PETS once they have been released into public land. Their offspring are also not pets.

Desexing pets should have has no effect on the population of the strays because a pet is kept on private land not public.

Please stop calling street and beach dogs (which is what this thread is about) pets. They aren't.

I would gamble I've been in Thailand longer than you, 30 years and I've had a dogs as a pet all that time. Never has my PET been let loose unsupervised on public land. Never have I left my dog's poop in a public place Many times I've had to fend off strays, while walking with my pet, that would like to have a fight. It is almost impossible to exercise my dog properly due to the large number of strays. Wherever I go there are dogs on the loose. Yes it has been like this for a very long time just as until recently Thailand had no drink and drive laws. But does that make it acceptable? Of course not. Just as Thailand enacted and to some degree enforced drinking driving laws so should it do so with its stray dog problem. The do-gooders who go around feeding these strays are doing a disservice to the human population. Hell they don't even go back and pick up the poop. Dirty bastards.

• Like 1

In keesters world, soi dogs merely descended on the earth in special space ships from another planet with an intent to eat little children.

Running around screaming with ones hands in the air is the way to solve the problem, apparently.

This is a human induced problem. Happens in many countries around the world and will be difficult to solve and even more difficult to solve humanely.

Dancing around on TVF getting upset about people feeding soi dogs won't change one iota of anything in Thailand. I can guarantee that.

I know very well where street and beach dogs come from thank you. Your remark is very offensive. Even more offensive is you keep referring to these dogs as pets. They cease to be pets once they are allowed freedom to roam public land. Their offspring are not pets.

Human induced it may be and human eradicated it can be to. Many countries have solved the problem, Thailand could too.

Feeding the soi dogs is just part of the problem because it helps them survive and breed. You are maybe on of those that do this. Do you ever pick up the poop, do you ever take responsibility for when one of these dogs attack a human. I'd guess NO to both. Dirty bastard.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

I know very well where street and beach dogs come from thank you. Your remark is very offensive. Even more offensive is you keep referring to these dogs as pets. They cease to be pets once they are allowed freedom to roam public land. Their offspring are not pets.

Human induced it may be and human eradicated it can be to. Many countries have solved the problem, Thailand could too.

Feeding the soi dogs is just part of the problem because it helps them survive and breed. You are maybe on of those that do this. Do you ever pick up the poop, do you ever take responsibility for when one of these dogs attack a human. I'd guess NO to both. Dirty bastard.

do we really have to go down to this level???

isn't sad enough what happened to the lil girl?

Keesters,

Nuking = desexing.

Maybe you are new to Thailand and therefore this is all very overwhelming for you, let me give you a tip, it's been this way for a very very long

But they are no longer PETS once they have been released into public land. Their offspring are also not pets.

Desexing pets should have has no effect on the population of the strays because a pet is kept on private land not public.

Please stop calling street and beach dogs (which is what this thread is about) pets. They aren't.

I would gamble I've been in Thailand longer than you, 30 years and I've had a dogs as a pet all that time. Never has my PET been let loose unsupervised on public land. Never have I left my dog's poop in a public place Many times I've had to fend off strays, while walking with my pet, that would like to have a fight. It is almost impossible to exercise my dog properly due to the large number of strays. Wherever I go there are dogs on the loose. Yes it has been like this for a very long time just as until recently Thailand had no drink and drive laws. But does that make it acceptable? Of course not. Just as Thailand enacted and to some degree enforced drinking driving laws so should it do so with its stray dog problem. The do-gooders who go around feeding these strays are doing a disservice to the human population. Hell they don't even go back and pick up the poop. Dirty bastards.

Now now keesters, you are attacking me because you are having trouble controlling your temper. I am not the problem. My dog, my pet, which departed this world of old age, never shat in the soi without me picking it up and only use to travel outside either in the back of the pick up or on a lead.....occasionally loose playing ball in a park. I often clean up soi droppings outside my place too.

The problem is that your definition of 'pet' seems to have been breached by me and you are loosing sight of the bigger picture. You also seem to assume that all Thai people with 'Pets' will pay for fencing and so forth and lock their animals away.

Now you claim to be the Thai expert, with all that experience, so your language skills must be really good too This places you in good stead to make a difference. Why don't you address the issue in your local area by motivating the community around in which you live to have the issues dealt with by the local authorities ? Or would you rather just run around with your hands in the air attacking a complete stranger on TVF calling him a dirty b@stard ? 555555

What are you truely trying to achieve with your rant about what constitutes a pet and what doesn't ?

Ohh & BTW, welcome to Thailand, newbie. ;)

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

Keesters,

Nuking = desexing.

Maybe you are new to Thailand and therefore this is all very overwhelming for you, let me give you a tip, it's been this way for a very very long

Now now keesters, you are attacking me because you are having trouble controlling your temper. I am not the problem. My dog, my pet, which departed this world of old age, never shat in the soi without me picking it up and only use to travel outside either in the back of the pick up or on a lead.....occasionally loose playing ball in a park. I often clean up soi droppings outside my place too.

The problem is that your definition of 'pet' seems to have been breached by me and you are loosing sight of the bigger picture. You also seem to assume that all Thai people with 'Pets' will pay for fencing and so forth and lock their animals away.

Now you claim to be the Thai expert, with all that experience, so your language skills must be really good too This places you in good stead to make a difference. Why don't you address the issue in your local area by motivating the community around in which you live to have the issues dealt with by the local authorities ? Or would you rather just run around with your hands in the air attacking a complete stranger on TVF calling him a dirty b@stard ? 555555

What are you truely trying to achieve with your rant about what constitutes a pet and what doesn't ?

Ohh & BTW, welcome to Thailand, newbie. wink.png

You started being offensive and opened the post to personal remarks. Be prepared to get as good as you give.

Glad to here about the way you looked after your pet and saddened to hear of its demise.

Yes you have breached my definition of pet yet you continue to refer to some these stray dogs as such. That is playing the sympathy card. Some time ago a personality balked on about the dogs for meat trade. In that article it was mentioned that many of the dogs were pets. So incorrect and again just playing the sympathy card. There should be no way that a pet dog could be captured for the meat trade if it is taken care of responsibly.

I have never claimed to be the Thai expert but now that you've given me the title, yes, I do speak Thai, yes I have taken this matter up many times with the local authorities, yes I have motivated the people in my moo baan not to allow their dogs out unsupervised and to pick up the poop. So NO I do not just use ThaiVisa. If as you say you do clean up your dogs and any dog that you feed poop then I apologise, conditional upon you doing the same for your offensive, albeit subtle, remarks about me.

What am I trying to achieve by the PET word is for these animals to be called what they are; STRAYS. As mentioned above calling them or even many of them PETS plays a sympathy card and the public is less likely to see the huge population of stray dogs as a serious problem. Referring to them or even some of them as PETS instills unwarranted sympathy in the public to them and makes it far harder to get the public to call for action. I think you know this and that is why you continually use the PET word as it suits you.

You are 30 years too late in welcoming me to Thailand and nobody has been stupid enough to call me a newbie for at least 25 of them.

Keesters,

I am refraining from using the 'quote' function, it's too long.

I use the term cats and dogs and pets when it relates to a cat and dog with an apparent owner.

One must address both the issues with the STRAYS and the PETS. These problems go hand in hand, simple as that. Since you've been here so long, you will realise that many pet owners fail to restrain their animals behind fences, like as in many western countries. A lot of these animals don't stray far from home, but when they do they tend to 'mate' and when the unwanted puppies and kittens are arrived, they are either farmed out to 'half hearted humans' or dumped at the temple. This forms part of the problem, a very large part.

Of course, there are owners of pets like you and me that probably take a lot more due care than that, but I'd say we are far from the majority.

Even blind reddy can see the problem with the strays, far out, how could one not see that, but there's no point trying to starve the solution out. It might work on one of the smaller islands but won't work for Thailand as a whole.

The problem is huge, but it's not just about today's generation of STRAY, it's much bigger than that.

I'm against cruelty to animals. I have gone out of my way to help STRAYS that have been hit by bikes, cars and whatnot in the soi that have just been left to suffer immense pain. It's difficult to find a vet that will even euthenase injured STRAYS, yet alone a mass Thai wide culling of something that's only assessed by many locals as a minor annoyance.

The STRAYS are a problem.

Thai PETS are a problem.

I can't back away from the basic truth of the matter.

I'd bet, the people that keep their pets completely secure around Thailand are the major minority.....major minority. So educate away.

Every couple of weeks a bitching thread (& some of them very valid, like oz mark) about soi dogs is started, with nothing more than several suggestions of cruelty and frustrated rants being aired. Changes nothing.

• Like 1