Teeth Totally Smashed In

monk213

Well I went to a good clinic recommended by a pharmacist I know on Phetkashem near the Shell station. They looked at me for me and said I had infection and possible a broken jaw bone, so I should go to the hospital for an xray and get it looked at by a dentist at a hospital. Sounds like this could be worse than I thought. But she sorted me out with good things for my infection and at a good price, but I guess tomorrow Bangkok Hospital as IMO that is the best, already been to the one on soi 10, twice, and even though I can speak Thai they did not remove the bits of teeth or xray me, basically they didn't give a shit

The Bangkok hospital chain charge like wounded kwai.

I use a dentist in Chalong - she charged 30,000 baht for a five tooth (two missing) crowns and bridge.

A single implant is 60,000baht.

If you have a viable root you may be able to have root canals, crowns and a post and crown.

Do you have personal accident insurance? There should be some with your bike rego/ins.

• Like 1

The Bangkok hospital chain charge like wounded kwai.

I use a dentist in Chalong - she charged 30,000 baht for a five tooth (two missing) crowns and bridge.

A single implant is 60,000baht.

If you have a viable root you may be able to have root canals, crowns and a post and crown.

Do you have personal accident insurance? There should be some with your bike rego/ins.

Well I have an xray booked for tomorrow with Bangkok Hospital to see if my jaw is broken, the fact the dental clinic did not even treat me and suggested to go straight to one is kind of a signal that it is pretty bad.

You got a good price in Chalong, would I travel all the way to Phuket though just for this, probably not seeing as there are hundreds of hospitals in bangkok I could go to which are only 2 hours away. No insurance whatsoever, maybe after this I will invest in some!

What I really want to know is how it happened rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifbiggrin.png

Thanks for the advice and or compassion. Also if you were less lazy and more competent you would have already read how it happened as I have posted that. I was riding on a dark road at night, no lights on the road and with a helmet that has a visa, the kind that makes things dimmer. I missed a corner, slid out and the first thing to make contact with the ground was my teeth/jaw. To say it is painful and a problem is an understatement. I have cried several times since and that has been more times than I have in the past 3 or so years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

https://www.gov.uk/living-in-thailand

Doesn't look like the British Embassy is going to provide much advice, aside from telling you to go see a dentist.

The U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai has a list of suggested health care providers, at least. I couldn't find anything similar on the U.K. Embassy website.

I don't see anything about there being a British Consulate in Hua Hin on the embassy's website.

Edited by NancyL

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

https://www.gov.uk/living-in-thailand

Doesn't look like the British Embassy is going to provide much advice, aside from telling you to go see a dentist.

The U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai has a list of suggested health care providers, at least. I couldn't find anything similar on the U.K. Embassy website.

I don't see anything about there being a British Consulate in Hua Hin on the embassy's website.

Thanks for the info, it is just my mother is intent on me calling them as she thinks they are saviour, and I know they can't really do anything more than I already know what to do. They certainly can't lend out money for surgeries as loans either.

Also for a broken jaw do they need to give you a local or general anesthetic? I have never been under before so it will an experience and to be honest better than injections straight the mouth which I hate.

I have to go to the immigration before the 20th and speak as well hahahaha, wow that is going to be a laugh. Me with one messed up mouth speaking in Thai (which I can), well at least for now unless I have all of my teeth removed

What I really want to know is how it happened rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifbiggrin.png

Thanks for the advice and or compassion. Also if you were less lazy and more competent you would have already read how it happened as I have posted that. I was riding on a dark road at night, no lights on the road and with a helmet that has a visa, the kind that makes things dimmer. I missed a corner, slid out and the first thing to make contact with the ground was my teeth/jaw. To say it is painful and a problem is an understatement. I have cried several times since and that has been more times than I have in the past 3 or so years.

Wow

Thank you for your kindness.

Happy new year to you too.

Wow

It was only some banter, and I guess so is this. But yeah I was in kind of a bad mood as you can expect.

Anyway went to get the xray today and thankfully no broken jaw bone, I went back to HH hospital but this time instructed that I was shown to the dental section and not just carried around and sold drugs. They guessed around 30-35k so kudos to you who guessed 30k. Now I just need to start the process and hope they are competent.

Sounds like a good price. I just paid 22k for replacement crown today at a rather expensive Bangkok dental facility. 12,750 seems to be for the crown and 8+ for work. Admit was in chair for more than an hour first visit today and did require a lot of restoration work to prepare for new crown after removal of leaking old one. Good luck.

Sounds like a good price. I just paid 22k for replacement crown today at a rather expensive Bangkok dental facility. 12,750 seems to be for the crown and 8+ for work. Admit was in chair for more than an hour first visit today and did require a lot of restoration work to prepare for new crown after removal of leaking old one. Good luck.

I hope they are competent, I have no idea what I need doing in dental terminology but I have been told 3 crowns.. But like I mentioned first I need to get the shards removed from my lower lip which I am getting done tomorrow. I am not scared of dentists as such, just oral injections. I have had them before and I just remember they hurt a lot, especially in the upper mouth which is where my teeth are that need work doing. Thanks for the kind words and I hope it goes well also.

two stump & crowns @ 15k each.

Don't get the cheapest for the front cos it'll show.

1 bridge @ 30K (or 15k if they can crown it)

Around 60kbht.

Full face helmet costs a lot less!

Well I got quoted today as saying it wouldn't be anymore than around 30-35k, so whatever you say US dude. You may have experience or whatever but I was told that by the people who will be working on me today.. I have never seen a crown for 15k, I have seen them for 7-8k at clinics but this is a hospital.

I had injections today (upper) and only hurt was the bitter taste of last drops - but quickly washed mouth out. There really is not more than a pin prick for injections these days - remember this tiny hurt is going to be a lot less than your fall - or trying to do without pain killer. Am sure they will know what they are doing - and likely will not have to do much more than smoothing and place caps if you are not in pain now (from teeth - know you are in pain)...

I had injections today (upper) and only hurt was the bitter taste of last drops - but quickly washed mouth out. There really is not more than a pin prick for injections these days - remember this tiny hurt is going to be a lot less than your fall - or trying to do without pain killer. Am sure they will know what they are doing - and likely will not have to do much more than smoothing and place caps if you are not in pain now (from teeth - know you are in pain)...

To be fair the last oral injections I had was probably back when I was around 12 years old. I am in pain now yes but that is mainly from my bottom lip having bits of teeth stuck in it which hurts like hell. The broken ones feel slightly weak but don't really hurt, I can swirl cold water around in my mouth and it doesn't hurt them for example. i wish they had gas, that would be be the best. Anyway I am off to bed as I have an early start, night all wai.gif

Wow

It was only some banter, and I guess so is this. But yeah I was in kind of a bad mood as you can expect.

Anyway went to get the xray today and thankfully no broken jaw bone, I went back to HH hospital but this time instructed that I was shown to the dental section and not just carried around and sold drugs. They guessed around 30-35k so kudos to you who guessed 30k. Now I just need to start the process and hope they are competent.

It was not me

All I did was asking how it happened and I got my head bitten off...

I just had a root canal, and new crown, at my local government hospital, 4 appointments, all about an hour, except the last one, about 30 minute. Total cost ฿7,000, the only disadvantage is the appointments are one month apart. A very competent dentist. Next month she is going to start the work capping two teeth, with an attached artificial tooth between them. Four to five appointments total cost about ฿10,000, I had the same thing done with different teeth in Canada, over 25 years ago and the cost was over ฿30,000.

I just had a root canal, and new crown, at my local government hospital, 4 appointments, all about an hour, except the last one, about 30 minute. Total cost ฿7,000, the only disadvantage is the appointments are one month apart. A very competent dentist. Next month she is going to start the work capping two teeth, with an attached artificial tooth between them. Four to five appointments total cost about ฿10,000, I had the same thing done with different teeth in Canada, over 25 years ago and the cost was over ฿30,000.

Just returned from my place, it is also a government hospital and also the dentist / surgeon is very competent, speaks fluent English even though I was wanting to speak Thai we just laughed and decided to go with English.

Anyway he said that 2 of my 3 teeth are total right offs and will need extracting, the 3rd can be rebuilt but he said there are better results if you extract and then form a 2 pin bridge. he checked my jaw line and tapped on my teeth and sai dthat he could do no nothing for at least a week because I have hit the ground so hard the bone inside my mouth is damaged and needs to heal! All of this was for free as well which was pretty good.

I then asked him how long it would all take an dhow much, he said 3-4 visits over 4-6 months and around 40k, not complaining to be honest, he seemed very booked up on his field of practice.

@Kitsune sorry I was in a bad mood like I said, pinch of salt and all that

• Like 1

Are you sure he intends to extract all three? Or keep the two on side with root canal and pin to hold fixed bridge and just extract center? 40k seems low if they have to place implants on the two sides and then attach bridge to them - but perhaps material price has come down.

Are you sure he intends to extract all three? Or keep the two on side with root canal and pin to hold fixed bridge and just extract center? 40k seems low if they have to place implants on the two sides and then attach bridge to them - but perhaps material price has come down.

I am on painkillers and my daily dose of valium so my memory has evaded somewhat, but I think he meant that he will drill into the root system of the 2 on either side, pin them and then make a bridge. he mention a bridge for sure though, and he said 40-50k. i also guess it depends on the quality of material I want, I just hope seeing as it is a government hospital that they don't fall out in a year or something. Anyway have to wait until next week for my bones within the gums to heel up. I am not too keen on getting more xrays, not really a fan of radiation!

Edited by monk213

It should be fine - expect will do RCT (that is normally several visits) and then install PIN (old tooth not strong enough to support by itself was the meaning that they have to go). Then will make a three crown fixed bridge. This will be very natural feeling and should last a long time if you take care to prevent decay of what remains of you teeth. Dental xray is really very little using todays equipment and really needs to be done for this kind of work. I would be more concerned with valium (had mother hooked on that junk for many years - and one time I was prescribed tiny amount first pill knocked my into never-never land and never took again.

It should be fine - expect will do RCT (that is normally several visits) and then install PIN (old tooth not strong enough to support by itself was the meaning that they have to go). Then will make a three crown fixed bridge. This will be very natural feeling and should last a long time if you take care to prevent decay of what remains of you teeth. Dental xray is really very little using todays equipment and really needs to be done for this kind of work. I would be more concerned with valium (had mother hooked on that junk for many years - and one time I was prescribed tiny amount first pill knocked my into never-never land and never took again.

I am tapering valium as we speak, once you are physically addicted to it you cannot just stop taking it like heroin for example because you can have seizures and all kinds of unpleasant side effects. I was taking up to 400mg a day (40 blues) when I was abusing them a few years ago, now I just use them for day to day things, to be able to actually go out (I have had a long history of anxiety going back many years). But now I feel I have gained the tools to deal with life without this crutch and so I am tapering off of them slowly. They are more dangerous and life destroying than 90% of illegal drugs I would suggest, maybe the worst decision I ever made was to use them as a medicine.

Anyway back to topic, I really appreciate your input, this entire situation has been quite tormenting, painful and to be honest, scary. It may seem fairly trivial to some but when you hit your face that hard and totally smash your teeth in, you get quite a shock to the system. It has made me think a lot more about how I conduct myself that is for sure.

Yeah he said that the 2 on the right were not strong enough and I kind of knew this before I went just by touching them, and when he spoke about the 3rd one he was saying something along the lines of 'we can rebuild it but because of damage below the gumline and bacteria from saliva, you will get better results from a full bridge) - major paraphrase there.

Can I ask your advice, or anybodies for that matter, on what material to choose for the crowns if I want them to last. I don't drink soda and I very rarely eat candy, so my diet is pretty good for my teeth, I guess I will just have to be extra careful with them when I eventually get them and invest in a full face helmet. The inside of my visa was red from where my mouth exploded in it.

Hope for the Valium - mother got off it in her mid 80's so had a few years of being normal before her death - which was good for everyone.

I have always had the most expensive high gold type (in old days that provided better fit but with todays methods and filling materials is probably not required). That is a porcelain covered gold crown. The main concern will be keeping clean along the edge of real teeth so you do not lose more supporting structure. Believe anything from 10 years to a lifetime is considered normal - but not sure the type/expense has a direct relationship.

• Like 1

So I have 3 top row front teeth smashed, 2 in halve and 1 basically gone. Also in my lower lip there are a few fragments embedded within my lip, can anybody give a rough guess at how much this will coat to rectify?

Have you been in the wars?!

About 140,000 baht for three implants. About half that for bridges and a lone implant.

Yeah ok looks like that 3rd one is gone, I am not paying half a million baht for a tooth. I am assuming those 2 will be crowns. Damn this sucks, it would not be so bad if I did not have a bottom lip full of shards, that needs sorting out first because I don't want that getting infected. Thanks guys

500,000 for a tooth better have diamonds encrusted in it.

I paid 65,000 baht for a front tooth as an implant in Thailand, in the west I would be looking at double that!