Thailand ranks world no.2 in road fatalities

Lite Beer

What a terrible achievement.

We have 2 children under 7 years of age and we also have 2 child seats in the car knowing full well that Thailand's roads are a death trap yet after all my years in Thailand I have never seen anyone else use child seats with their children. In fact it amazes me how often I see a child sitting on the lap of they mother in the front seat with no seat belt on and a passenger side airbag.

I asked my wife's sister who does that as well why she allows it. She told me the airbag will protect them if they are in an accident!! Or the other one I get if the mother is wearing the seat belt is she will hold onto her child in the case of an accident so the child will be safe.

That mentality is why Thais have the 2nd most fatalities in the world.

Education. Education. Education. It is the key to democracy and to safer roads.

Totally agree with you, I insist that anyone that travels in my car will wear a seat belt, if they refuse I turn off the engine just don't move, my son never goes anywhere without being strapped into his seat.

The way I try to explain to family/friends is think of your child as an egg, now put that egg in a tin box and shake it, usually get a reaction, not always positive though. You just can't account for stupid.

With statistics one can show just about anything one wants from any angle one wants.

Was just looking at some statistics for 2010 on Wikipedia. Some interesting facts: Thailand comes very far down the list if one counts fatalities/100,000 vehicles, there where 92 fatalities per 100,000 vehicles in 2010, compared to Central African Republic that had 13,473 fatalities per 100,000 vehicles or Sudan that had 9,370 fatalities per 100,000 vehicles and Norway with 4.4 fatalities per 100,000 vehicles.

Can't think what you have to do to get 13,473 killed per 100,000 vehicles(Central African Republic), other than deliberately aiming for pedestrians while driving.

Notably total fatalities in Central African Republic was only 644, Thailand 26,312, Sudan 10,935 and Norway 145.

What does this show us? Just about nothing.

Every year there is these statistics coming out from the Holidays with accident numbers on the road and fatalities. But I have never seen any real analysis of the data. I have to assume there is some govt. agency actually analyzing the data and coming up with some useful information, but that they remain unheard for publicity and political reasons.

For example where are the accidents happening? I see one mention of U-turns for example, there must be more of this data, for example are these U-turns on the backstreets or on the main highways? What vehicles are involved, motorcycles, cars, trucks? The list goes on and I think a real analysis will show that the large part of accidents do not happen on the highways during holidays but in the backstreets by motorcyclists.

On my 3 km drive to work everyday in the countryside there are at least one accident every day sometimes three or more (white lines on the road), mostly involving motorcyclists and from what I can see most could have been avoided by better driving habits. Almost all the accidents happen at intersections while turning and at U-turns. The road I am travelling on is a backstreet, not a highway.

U-turns refers to the habit of putting "gaps" in the middle of multi-lane highways as an alternative to building a proper junction.

You are of course right about the interpretation of stats - the ones in the OP I believe are DEATHS per 100k POPULATION...not vehicles or miles driven etc etc

they attribute in the headline two factors - "Danger-prone road conditions and recklessness of motorists" - this is just a simplistic view for the headline and in no way reflects the "meat" of the report, but it DOES mention "road conditions" which is something that most contributors to this thread completely ignore.

So much needs to be done - such as proper enforcement of the laws and education.

More, it would also help if everyone stopped calling people "drivers".

From what little statistical information is made available, more than 75% of victims are on MOTOR BIKES.

Instead of the talk about banning alcohol and painting a picture of mad car/pick-up truck drivers, it would help to start at the root: MOTOR BIKES.

Edited by RegularReader

I have never understood this statistic. I visited Namibia a couple years ago and have driven all over the country. Never once saw any evidence of dangerous roads or death wish drivers like we have here in Thailand. In fact the driving experience there was quite pleasant, it felt not unlike driving in Australia (but without the aggressive drivers you get in Australia). Some roads could get a bit dusty at times, but they were paved, and by and large they are wide and straight and very little traffic, anywhere. My local friend there says there are a lot of collisions at intersections so you have to watch out. Apart from a flat tire, driving there was totally uneventful. Meanwhile, I can't leave my home in Chiang Mai for two minutes before having to take evasive action due to some nitwit.

The top three remains unchanged from the last set of figures released. That's interesting as you might expect some movement with statistics such as this.

I would guess that Namibia is number one due to its terrain and standard of roads as much as the standard of driving. Long unpaved, desert roads are the norm with holes and rocks that need to be avoided. I only saw one accident in my ten days there: a pickup that had flipped; no other vehicle involved.

Someone also commented on Vietnam but the standard of driving outside HCM seems to have improved enormously with quite low speed limits being adhered to.

I don't mean to drag this off-topic. But considering Thailand's ghastly record of road safety, which regular car is the safest most crash worthy in Thailand? Which car are you most likely to survive in?

We need to take action. May as well make this thread something other than the usual sound bites.

Sherman tank.

Monster 4x4.

again basically no knowledge of the science of road safety. Those who think that mass is the solution are missing out. The primary concern in a collision is impact absorption.

Edited by wilcopops

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't mean to drag this off-topic. But considering Thailand's ghastly record of road safety, which regular car is the safest most crash worthy in Thailand? Which car are you most likely to survive in?

We need to take action. May as well make this thread something other than the usual sound bites.

Sherman tank.
Monster 4x4.

again basically no knowledge of the science of road safety. Those who think that mass is the solution are missing out. The primary concern in a collision is impact absorption.

I think a Sherman tank would do pretty well without collision absorption.

• Like 2

"Analysts said the high number of fatalities not only resulted from motorists’ carelessness alone." Off course not. Government negligence is the main reason.wai2.gif

True that. The lack of traffic safety enforcement here is astonishing. It is remarkable. It is blatantly apparent. When I drive on one of the national highways, I have never seen anyone pulled over for reckless driving, or for speeding. I rarely drive above 120km, in my car. People pass me doing 170 or 180! People pass with the smallest margins of safety. People get within 2 meters of my car, doing those kinds of speeds. Even in the rain. There is little understanding of safety margins here, and most do not get it until they are dead, or seriously injured, or end up killing one of their own family members due to negligence, and ignorance, or killing someone else. Nobody can be in that much of a hurry. Many have no idea where they are going, but they think they have to get there fast. It is up to the police to keep these careless drivers in line, and the police (or lack thereof) on the highway have a responsibility to do their jobs, and keep people safe. They do not do this. So, much of the blame for the fatalities on the Thai roads, falls into the lap of the terribly ineffective police force, and ultimately decades of ineffective governance.

• Like 2

If you are unfortunately going to be in an accident, I believe the best vehicle for surviving it, is in a Mercedes-Benz. IMHO.

It makes a mockery of all the lucky charms they plaster all over their cars.

Yes. Obviously the lucky charms do not work, but perhaps Thai people cannot believe that? whistling.gif

The country will have the opportunity to attain the "coveted status" of No 1 this year or MAYBE the current authorities will really do something to cut down the numbers of their people (and visitors) being slaughtered on the roads. We will see coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sherman tank.

Monster 4x4.

I think a Sherman tank would do pretty well without collision absorption.

It is obvious that you think that - whereas in reality the absorption ability of a Sherman tank is as near as it gets to NIL. You need to read up on what happens in a collision rather than make facetious comments about Sherman tanks.

• Like 1

>>>T-Dog

There have been posts in the past that Thailand has THE most dangerous highways as only deaths at the scene are included in the statistics, and many motorcycle accidents do not make it into the counts. It might already be in the number one position.<<<

I'm sure you are right.

• Like 2

>>>T-Dog

There have been posts in the past that Thailand has THE most dangerous highways as only deaths at the scene are included in the statistics, and many motorcycle accidents do not make it into the counts. It might already be in the number one position.<<<

I'm sure you are right.

this again is down to interpretation and gathering - there is nothing to say that other countries stats are any more or less accurate then Thailand's - there ae certainly other countries that have similar criteria for gathering stats...and Thailand certainly doesn't have the monopoly on incompetent stat gathering.

>>>T-Dog

I'm sure you are right.

this again is down to interpretation and gathering - there is nothing to say that other countries stats are any more or less accurate then Thailand's - there ae certainly other countries that have similar criteria for gathering stats...and Thailand certainly doesn't have the monopoly on incompetent stat gathering.

If you are unfortunately going to be in an accident, I believe the best vehicle for surviving it, is in a Mercedes-Benz. IMHO.

Which model? they make a range, you know.

These are the same figures as released mid 2014. There has been no new release of these statistics - they are released mid year!

Why is the 'Government' advertising such a negative result? Do they want Thailand to fail as a holiday destination (besides the fat it already has)...

Try a tank or bulldozer....

Hmmm... Thailand is number two, but statistically speaking Koh Samui generates the most traffic victims in Thailand! That makes Koh Samui the most dangerous place on Earth when it comes to fatal traffic-accidents! On average two traffic-victims die on Samui per day! Food for thought... But they try to keep that silent because it's not good for the tourism if this is widely known...

It may not apply to all of Thailand but here in Isaan we presently have lots of first time vehicle owners. While many of us from western countries may have had driver's education and years of experience on the roads and highways, many Thais learn to drive a car or pickup truck at age 30, 40, 50 or older. Those of us, say, 55 years or older may have 40 or more years behind the wheel. There are lots of drivers here who are 30, 40 or 50 years old who may only have 5 years or less driving time. Along with the other factors mentioned on this topic it seems to me that simple inexperience also contributes to accident causes.

+1 and to add to that most go straight from a scooter to a large sized turbo pickup with zero driver training or perception of correct driving technique (turning your head when coming to a corner for example) .

It may not apply to all of Thailand but here in Isaan we presently have lots of first time vehicle owners. While many of us from western countries may have had driver's education and years of experience on the roads and highways, many Thais learn to drive a car or pickup truck at age 30, 40, 50 or older. Those of us, say, 55 years or older may have 40 or more years behind the wheel. There are lots of drivers here who are 30, 40 or 50 years old who may only have 5 years or less driving time. Along with the other factors mentioned on this topic it seems to me that simple inexperience also contributes to accident causes.

+1 and to add to that most go straight from a scooter to a large sized turbo pickup with zero driver training or perception of correct driving technique (turning your head when coming to a corner for example) .

Personal observations can of course be misleading....however the other side of the coin is there are a lot of drivers both Thai and foreign who, after driving for years and years, have developed most of the most dangerous driving habits imaginable and then have the audacity to claim to be "good drivers"!!

• Like 1

Coming second to Namibia they ought to be ashamed of themselves..........surely they could have tried harder for No 1 spot.

Since Namibia only had 45 to Thailand's 44, I am sure Thailand is number one; do you really think they managed to count all the road deaths?

Personal observations can of course be misleading....however the other side of the coin is there are a lot of drivers both Thai and foreign who, after driving for years and years, have developed most of the most dangerous driving habits imaginable and then have the audacity to claim to be "good drivers"!!

100 % correct. Generally (and I use that word reservedly) most of us who learned to drive in other countries were taught to have a healthy respect for the vehicle we were operating and for other road users. We were also taught fundamental skills like reversing, reverse parking, three point turns and leaving respectable distances to other vehicles as well as recognising and obeying signage and adjusting our driving to suit road conditions. There are of course many exceptions to the rules and there will always be those who flout laws, but again, I will say "generally" most foreign drivers here have a much more experience behind the wheel and a better understanding of vehicle operation and common sense driving techniques. Not to say there aren't many good native drivers here or that all foreign drivers here are better than Thai ones. I will say experience makes a hell of a lot of difference though IMHO wai.gif

Does Thailand conduct tests on locally manufactured/assembled models for crash resistance, if so, is this an independent organisation and do they publish their findings?

U.K has a fatality rate at 3,5 per 100.000 and with a population at nearly the same(64M) as TH(67M) and they hit 2240 fatalities per year.

TH hit 29480 fatalities per year!!

That is a comparison to think about.

As other already said. You have to change the mindset of government and police. Before that happen.Nothing will change. Only get worse.

Police and government is only here for one reason. To make money to their own pockets.

We can park on our bikes without helmet and police next to you without any action. Because it is after hours!!!!

Bullshit. If any can change this mentality in our lifetime.

What a terrible achievement.

We have 2 children under 7 years of age and we also have 2 child seats in the car knowing full well that Thailand's roads are a death trap yet after all my years in Thailand I have never seen anyone else use child seats with their children. In fact it amazes me how often I see a child sitting on the lap of they mother in the front seat with no seat belt on and a passenger side airbag.

I asked my wife's sister who does that as well why she allows it. She told me the airbag will protect them if they are in an accident!! Or the other one I get if the mother is wearing the seat belt is she will hold onto her child in the case of an accident so the child will be safe.

That mentality is why Thais have the 2nd most fatalities in the world.

Education. Education. Education. It is the key to democracy and to safer roads.

On my second trip here I witnessed the most horrific accident I have ever seen when a pickup crashed into the back of another stationary one waiting to turn right. Counted 7 bodies 2 of which were a mother still clinging to her baby.

This photo that I took shows the utter stupidity and total lack of common sense of the Thais. This is obviously school transport, and the school that is supposed to be responsible for the kids in their care obviously haven't got a clue, and nor does the driver. And the kids themselves are too stupid to realise what would happen if there was a sudden stop or an accident. And yet this photo is not unusual. Everyone who lives in Thailand can see this anywhere, every day. By the way, riding in the back of a pickup is actually illegal, but - well. you know.

post-5931-0-70973500-1420433804_thumb.jp

Edited by Bangkok Barry

As bad as it is here you guys should try driving in Vietnam. The only reason their fatalities are lower is lack of cars and fewer roads to speed on. Wait a few years

Too many cars already and not enough drivers with a license/common sense. My wife had a license, could not drive, but always gave me driving instructions. Of course I only had 50 yrs driving experience LOL. She is now working on her "parking license" she already has a left and right turn license LOL. I also learned that most Thai's with a car older then 3 yrs do not have insurance. hmmmmmm