Critical Reminder - Please Read and Absorb - We All Do This

bowerboy

The LAW in Thailand as in most countries states that if walking on the road you must walk against the Oncoming Traffic. Any person who doesn't do this is an idiot.

Safe practice but not the "LAW".

I am from rural England, lots narrow, winding roads. Walking against traffic is best, but sometimes you need to use your loaf & change sides in sharp bends where a car cannot see you head on. All about common sense.

• Like 1

One of the first things I was taught as a Boy Scout many years ago, was always walk on the side (lane) of the road where you are facing oncoming vehicles. I have followed that teaching all my life. Why would you want a vehicle coming towards your back that you can't see and respond to if necessary? E.g., a mirror on a bus that's heading towards your head.

However, almost everyone I see walking in the street in Thailand do the opposite.

Of course, then there's the crazy Thai drivers who drive on the wrong side of the road.

A technician for one of our suppliers had his hand broken last year when a taxi clipped him. He was taken to the hospital to have it set.. When he got back to Austria, he had to have the hand re-broken and pins put in fot get it right.

Anywhere we walk out in public in Thailand, there are motorbikes and cars coming out of every gate and building entrances and exits. The side walks are hardly what could be described as side-walks at all, hardly room for 2 people to pass each other. I describe walking anywhere in Thailand as running the gauntlet.

Even on the narrow side-walks there have been times when vehicle mirrors have just missed my head, especially the big trucks and buses. Then there are what I call the booby traps. Big cracks, holes and high kerbs just waiting to claim a victim. Going out and about in Thailand is not for the meek, we have to be just as alert the same as driving a vehicle here.

I think that the Thai attitude in general is that the only people who walk are too poor to have a car or motorsai to go around in or on and therefore it doesn't matter if you hit a few... Disgusting I know but life is very cheap here if you're poor & if your not what are you doing walking?? must be a crazy falang... :(

• Like 1

Quote from post #20: "Put speed bumps at the left turn Zebra Crossings."

Why do they paint speed black & white the same colour as the Zebra crossings.

In most other countries I have visited speed bumps or "Sleeping Policemen" as they are known in the UK, are painted black and yellow.

Quote from post #20: "Put speed bumps at the left turn Zebra Crossings."

Why do they paint speed black & white the same colour as the Zebra crossings.

In most other countries I have visited speed bumps or "Sleeping Policemen" as they are known in the UK, are painted black and yellow.

A mate from the UK got wacked by a motorcycle taxi whilst walking along Pattaya Tai a couple of years ago. It was 11.00 am and he was sober, however his insurance company reduced the amount they paid out to him because he was not on the pavement at the time.

Serves me right for wearing sandals I suppose but walking along Soi 5 in Bangkok carrying my shopping from Foodland I inadvertently stepped into some dog cack that oozed through the straps. It was still soft and warm and ruined my week.

I was on my push bike when a pickup truck coming up behind me kept edging me over. I had no place to go except the gutter. When he came alongside me I pounded on his truck door and yelled "Hey Stupid watch where your going" By now he was at a stand still. His answer was so solorry. Seems to be the standard answer here when your in the wrong.

You're lucky he didn't take a tyre lever to you!!

I think that the Thai attitude in general is that the only people who walk are too poor to have a car or motorsai to go around in or on and therefore it doesn't matter if you hit a few... Disgusting I know but life is very cheap here if you're poor & if your not what are you doing walking?? must be a crazy falang... sad.png

Yes,

cars are far more important than people's lives in Thailand.

• Like 1

An Aussie girl on holiday on Samui a few years back had the audacity to step onto a pedestrian crossing. A prick driving a pick up never made any attempt to stop or even slowdown. His side mirror struck the girls arm/shoulder smashing it, She had to be flown home for urgent surgery. The worthless bastard never even slowed down or made any attempt to stop and check on the girl by then sitting on the road in agony.

Edited by sangfroid

After reading all the comments in this thread.

All i can say is .Hey be careful out there, it is not what you do, it is what others do around you.

Lucky you can walk on the footpath.

What about people like me confined to a wheelchair!! A nightmare.

The LAW in Thailand as in most countries states that if walking on the road you must walk against the Oncoming Traffic. Any person who doesn't do this is an idiot.

Safe practice but not the "LAW".

Oh YES it is. I have a copy of the Kings Road Rules which were put out on the 15th of March 2522, his 34th year as King. Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522, (1979) Section 103 (200b) of Title 13, Pedestrians. I carry this at all times in the back of my car so when Police come up with some crazy story about the road rules, I pull it out and put them straight as to the law. It has worked every time.

Sadly I saw a similar thing in London, chap stepped out in to the bus lane. head through window - died instantly..

Always walk contrary to the traffic so you can see what coming on your side of the road.

take care and don't rush around town

Of course; it's logical that when traffic drives on the left you walk on the RIGHT. When traffic drives on the right, you walk on the LEFT.

But for some reason, idiots in countries like Australia still walk on the left when they also drive on the left. They are supposed to walk on the RIGHT. I have a tendency to walk on the right in Australia and I completely confuse the people there, but of course I'm doing it the right way.