Thailand ranked as one of world’s best places to retire in 2015

Lite Beer

To all those who can only say, "If you don't like it, why don't you leave?" You fail to take into account that many of us sold our homes and cashed out to come here, chasing what we thought was the dream of a "golden retirement". When the reality turned out differently, it was too late to just pack up and leave. So unless you're willing to finance the move, quit saying that.

Like everywhere, Thailand has it's pros and cons. The major pro is the cost of living. But these "best places" lists and the TAT paint an inaccurate picture by showing an aging couple joyously romping on a pristine beach, with tropical cocktails in their hands, and smiling natives all around. It just ain't like that if you don't have trunks full of money. And if you do have the money, you can make anywhere into paradise.

But you openly admit to being able to sell up and come out here so why is it so difficult to sell up here and head back to your nation of residence?

I'm 35, work full time in a fairly well paying job out here, IF I started to feel as negative and cynical as many commenters on here I'd be gone by May at the latest.....And I'm also happily married to a Thai woman who would never leave.

If the angst is eating people up so much then there's two options...live the rest of your life miserable as sin or cut loose and leave. Thailand is never going to change to appease the sexpats, expats or immigrants...And why should it? We're guests here nothing more.

Have you ever tried to sell a house in Thailand?

So, if you were unhappy in Thailand, you would quit your high paying job, dump your happily married wife, and just head out? How cavalier.

If I was so unhappy I did nothing but complain complain complain yeah. I was a cynical misery in the UK so quit and worked in Afghanistan (not in any way a fun place as you can imagine) for two years. I did it because I began to dislike the person I had become in the UK.

If I ever felt like I was turning that way out here sure I'd try to change something first (job, area) but if I had to I'd leave. What good would it do staying and making my wife as miserable as I'd be??

• Like 1

What is it with certain people who always attack the people who are critical of Thailand? And the attack is always the same; if you don't like it here, please leave.

I'm sure that the people who have some criticism still like it here but perhaps they are stuck and don't have the means to leave or maybe they have a family with school going kids, maybe they'd like to leave but they know that it will be very hard to settle down back home, etc, etc. I'm sure there is a valid reason why they didn't leave but if they could, they would. Many obstacles there.

I'd like to say in their defence that it's completely normal to have a healthy critical mind and not to feel attacked by the guys who do love it here. Some people somehow have the belief that when you are a 'guest'(paying one btw) you are not allowed to be critical of your host. The guys who do love it here are differently wired. Maybe they are not here as long and don't know that much, maybe they live on a tourist island and never saw the real TH, perhaps they have ostrich syndrom, don't speak Thai, live a good expat lifestyle in the sunshine or maybe they are just jolly old Leo drinkers. Many possibilities here.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that we all came here at one point because we thought it was a better option than staying at home. I guess after living in TH for many years all the things one used to love start to wear off for many of us, it becomes normal, we lost that vision we once had or perhaps we woke up and realised that TH has faults like anywhere else. The sunshine for example, couldn't care less if it was cloudy today. The delicious Thai cuisine; rather have a steak and potatoes. The gorgeous little creatures we used to adore so much; I'm happily married and can't even listen to the bs those gorgeous little creatures talk about anymore, probably couldn't even get it up. Cheap? Yeah, back in 2000. Prices are almost the same as many European countries. I think Portugal is even cheaper than TH these days.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that I'm pretty sure that the guys who complain a lot(I do it sometimes too) are the working guys, probably married with a kid. The guys who still love it are the older guys who have some money behind them or the guys who only 'live' here part of the year and still make money back home. In any case the guys with more cash behind them are having a 'better time' than the guys who work here for a living and therefore have more responsibilities and a schedule.

In the end it all comes down to cash!

If you are 67 years old, retired, plenty of dosh behind you, not married, just floating around, nice condo on the beach, doing as you please all day long you are bound to have a different deception than some guy who is working in a lousy government school in Bangers trying to make ends meet.

If one has plenty of money in his pocket the world is a totally different place, including TH.

Basically I see 2 groups here in TV; the haves and the have nots.

If you have plenty of money Thailand is a wonderful place to retire. Cheaper than most places, great climate, good food, slow pace of life and mostly decent people.

Just make sure before you buy some property that you are not being scammed. Oh yeah, and I hope you can stay alive on the roads where driving is like a computer game, ignore your neighbors constantly barking dogs, ignore the other neighbor who plays Isaan techno loud as h_ell until 3am, or the one who burns his plastic everyday at sunset, don't mind getting ripped off on a daily basis(by the not so decent ones), locals looking at you as if you just got of a spaceship, etc, etc. All in all the pros still outweigh the cons. Imagine retiring back home and staring out of the window all day hoping for summer to arrive soon, and it's only January!

Perhaps the people who do still love it here are just trying to say that one shouldn't stay in a place if you are unhappy there. Try to either find a happy medium or find a new place but if you are wired to only see life's faults then it will be the same there too after a while. Sadly enough paradise doesn't exist.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. coffee1.gif

A lot of sense in this post! I have been retired here for about 7 years, and certainly the novelty of some things wear off after a while. However, when I look at the alternative of returning "home", and weigh up the pros and cons, the decision is easily made! I do not have "plenty of money", and the thought of returning to bills for Council Tax, Water (Rates), Electric, Gas, Television Licence, House and Contents Insurance, Landline Telephone/Internet, Car Tax, MOT, Insurance, (Or bills for taxis) etc etc fills me with dread. (especially Electric and Gas during the winter months.) Also the smoking ban coupled with greedy breweries have led to many traditional pubs and clubs closing down, so after paying all the above bills, if you have "owt left ower", the chances are that it won't be enough for a night out for a couple of drinks and fish 'n chips on the way home! So for me it is no contest - like a lot of my compatriates I have my moans and groans, but just ask any friends who come here on holiday what it's like "back home", and I'm sure you can guess the answer in 99% of the cases!

• Like 1

This is my first post here, I'm slowly learning the fact that retirement is pretty good, even on a limited income, I have my health, my mind, and a little money… Hello to everyone here!… After reading the messages above though, how about more positives for Thailand? (and a few have appeared since I started writing this) Next month I'm moving from the Canada/UK/US sphere to Bangkok initially, and then on to whichever part of LOS I see as the best fit for me, too late for me to change my mind. I've been to Thailand many times as a tourist, and I know there's a difference between travelling through and living in a place, that's why I'm staying for six months to start with. Having lived in many parts of the world for short periods, I've seen indiscriminate violence, corruption, deceit, grinding poverty, illness, war.. to put it in a nutshell, "all of the deadly sins plus a few" and they're everywhere, including Thailand, but with due care I've had nothing but positive experiences with the Thai people, and their beautiful country. I believe that I can "take the best, and leave the rest" with Thai culture (for the most part), and am going to give it my best try.

• Like 2

This is my first post here, I'm slowly learning the fact that retirement is pretty good, even on a limited income, I have my health, my mind, and a little money… Hello to everyone here!… After reading the messages above though, how about more positives for Thailand? (and a few have appeared since I started writing this) Next month I'm moving from the Canada/UK/US sphere to Bangkok initially, and then on to whichever part of LOS I see as the best fit for me, too late for me to change my mind. I've been to Thailand many times as a tourist, and I know there's a difference between travelling through and living in a place, that's why I'm staying for six months to start with. Having lived in many parts of the world for short periods, I've seen indiscriminate violence, corruption, deceit, grinding poverty, illness, war.. to put it in a nutshell, "all of the deadly sins plus a few" and they're everywhere, including Thailand, but with due care I've had nothing but positive experiences with the Thai people, and their beautiful country. I believe that I can "take the best, and leave the rest" with Thai culture (for the most part), and am going to give it my best try.

Great that you have a positive attitude.

Not knocking it.

But realistically, you really have very little idea what your life is REALLY going to be like here ... but you said you know that already, and you're right.

My perspective is that I do not recommend that people retire to Thailand. People shouldn't need a recommendation. The ones that it suits to live here long term will find that out themselves without being hyped about it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

A lot of sense in this post! I have been retired here for about 7 years, and certainly the novelty of some things wear off after a while. However, when I look at the alternative of returning "home", and weigh up the pros and cons, the decision is easily made! I do not have "plenty of money", and the thought of returning to bills for Council Tax, Water (Rates), Electric, Gas, Television Licence, House and Contents Insurance, Landline Telephone/Internet, Car Tax, MOT, Insurance, (Or bills for taxis) etc etc fills me with dread. (especially Electric and Gas during the winter months.)

So you don't have electricity or gas or water or pay TV or internet or insurance or a car or take taxis in Thailand?

You must live some life, please tell?

Thailand easy to purchase a nice retirement cottage no hassle retirement visas for life is easy in Thailand for the elderly and if you land in a wheelchair still easy access to all amenities, and most Thais speak English, I think Malta would be a better bet to retire to be honest.

they just might get 1st place when foreigners are able to own land !!!!!!!!!

Lets hope that never happens as boomers in the UK have destroyed the UK property market for the young due to the land price boom of the last 15 years, yet you want to do this to Thailand.

No wonder the young don't like your generation and quite rightly see you as the most self entitled generation in history.

The complete top 10 list, sorted by the rank, are Ecuador, Panama, Mexico, Malaysia, Costa Rica, Spain, Malta, Colombia, Portugal, and Thailand.

So who here would want to live in any of those South American countries??? The risk of kidnapping is so high in most of those is enough to keep me well away let alone retire.

The complete top 10 list, sorted by the rank, are Ecuador, Panama, Mexico, Malaysia, Costa Rica, Spain, Malta, Colombia, Portugal, and Thailand.

So who here would want to live in any of those South American countries??? The risk of kidnapping is so high in most of those is enough to keep me well away let alone retire.

I am quite interested in Cuenca Ecuador but haven't even visited that country yet. I have been following the news about that destination for years and in that case I would rate the risk of kidnapping of retired expats as VERY LOW.

"Thailand received full score on entertainment and amenity," ---

Thailand gets next to no international shows, has no major sporting events (Takraw doesn't count), hardly any non-thai musicians who aren't a decade past their peak come to play here, has no worthy musuems or libraries or art galleries, fewer recreational venues than other countries..... yet it still gets full score?

I guess if your definition of "entertainment" is limited to shopping, drinkiing in bars and hiring prostitutes.

Sure there is worse places to live, but seriously maybe some "expats" could enlighten me what constitutes entertainment for old folk in Thailand? Sitting in traffic? Evening Aerobics in the Big C parking lot?

I advise you to get out of the house more often, and by the way, visiting libraries and museums has little to do with entertainment, soapies are more like it!

"Malaysia continues to swing towards sharia law"

​As a Muslim country, Malaysia follows sharia law. Sharia law is simply law based on religion. Conservative Christians, similar to you, believe that the Old Testament of the Holy Bible is still valid today. Reading through it, you see that God commands Christians to kill non-Chrisitans, people who work on the Sabbath, unruly children, and disobedient wives. As an added bonus, God allows men to sell their daughters into slavery. How can you possibly accept all of this, and then claim that Islam is "cruel"? All religious-based extremism finds its roots in the evil of conservatism.

"Malaysia continues to swing towards sharia law"

​As a Muslim country, Malaysia follows sharia law. Sharia law is simply law based on religion. Conservative Christians, similar to you, believe that the Old Testament of the Holy Bible is still valid today. Reading through it, you see that God commands Christians to kill non-Chrisitans, people who work on the Sabbath, unruly children, and disobedient wives. As an added bonus, God allows men to sell their daughters into slavery. How can you possibly accept all of this, and then claim that Islam is "cruel"? All religious-based extremism finds its roots in the evil of conservatism.

Pardon me, but what has this Muslims v Christians in Malaysia argument got to do with retiring in Thailand?

A lot of sense in this post! I have been retired here for about 7 years, and certainly the novelty of some things wear off after a while. However, when I look at the alternative of returning "home", and weigh up the pros and cons, the decision is easily made! I do not have "plenty of money", and the thought of returning to bills for Council Tax, Water (Rates), Electric, Gas, Television Licence, House and Contents Insurance, Landline Telephone/Internet, Car Tax, MOT, Insurance, (Or bills for taxis) etc etc fills me with dread. (especially Electric and Gas during the winter months.)

So you don't have electricity or gas or water or pay TV or internet or insurance or a car or take taxis in Thailand?

You must live some life, please tell?

TT - I rather suspect that you are just being deliberately obtuse in your questioning simply for the sake of making an argument and appearing smart...

I would guess that most people with a modicum of common sense would realise that sambum is not inferring that he has no bills to pay in Thailand, but rather the cost of Utility bills is between 3 - 5 times as much in the UK. Similarly a taxi from BKK to Korat recently cost me 1500Bht (I was happy to give the guy 2000) - similar length taxi journey here in UK costs more like equiv 12,500Bht.. I find insurances and internet cost to be comparable as are luxury items or 'western food shopping'. Overall though it's a no brainer that Thailand has the opportunity to provide you with with a vastly lower cost of living that any EU country.

• Like 2

Costa Rica is probably at the top of my list. The country is stable. No military.

Education and healthcare fantastic. Woman.... beautiful.

Do some research. Preferably, live research. VERY BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.

I lived in Thailand for seven years. I am married to a Thai. Currently in Australia, - but I have my eye on moving to Costa Rica ... based a on about six months of living there (before Thailand).

I am done with Thailand. We miss many things about Thailand, - but it seems to have gone down hill.

COSTA RICA. Check it out!

Interesting blogs on Costa Rica...up to 60% who move there leave in the first year...blogs do not seem to say why? crime is not mentioned but as the country lies between the biggest producers of drugs and the biggest buyers of drugs me thinks there may be a lot not said in these blogs to sell the place. Good luck !!

OMG So many knockers in Thailand yet you choose to live there. Almost every item on Thaivisa gets so many knockers.

There are 196 countries in the whole world. Coming 10th is not a bad score at all.

Over the years I have ben to many places worldwide and nowhere else have I been so readily accepted by the majority of people.

Thailand deserves the nickname "The Land of Smiles" for just everywhere you do smiling Thais are around.

The closest I came to that in Asia was Cagayan D'Oro in the Philippines but nowhere else in my travels

If you do not like the hospitality and the people you have chosen to live amongst then for god's sake leave!!!

I also fail to understand why people bitch and bitch and continue to stay. Every county has certain things to recommend it, and drawbacks as well. Thailand has great food, good looking women, a pretty good climate, and a relatively low cost of living. If these are not the things you are looking for then it probably is best to find another place, rather than suffer here. There are many choices all over the world.

I've known that since I first returned here in 1985 hoe wonderful a place to retire it was Now if The USA government would only allow its Senior Citizens to be able to use their Medicare in Thailand after they hit 65 , at least the Veteran population , for the reasoning of , if they can send you to a Foreign land to die in a dumb-fracking WAR , you should be able to live and receive your Health benefits in any Country that a Veteran finds affordable to live his Senior years in ! As long as they are in good diplomatic relations with the USA and , they can set up Hospitals and Doctors that they deem acceptable , w/o getting too deep into RED TAPE issues or BS to put it truly !

post-35854-0-25554200-1420483725_thumb.j

post-35854-0-19085800-1420484828_thumb.j

post-35854-0-10388800-1420484858_thumb.j

post-35854-0-17390300-1420484873_thumb.j

post-35854-0-91728900-1420484901_thumb.j

Interesting blogs on Costa Rica...up to 60% who move there leave in the first year...blogs do not seem to say why? crime is not mentioned but as the country lies between the biggest producers of drugs and the biggest buyers of drugs me thinks there may be a lot not said in these blogs to sell the place. Good luck !!

I started checking out CR in the late 1990s. My info dates from that time, haven't kept up with the changes.

I think the biggest thing that worked against those looking to buy a condo or real estate was they got scammed by shady realtors, assessors, bankers, lawyers, etc.

The tune usually goes something this: all is set up and looks great, gringo makes a sizable down payment, all should be settled in a few weeks.

A few weeks later. Oops! We hit a snag. Shouldn't be a problem, we need another few weeks. Then another few weeks. Gringo is getting worried.

After about a month "hey, a breakthrough! We can sew this whole thing up in a few days, but we need the remaining funds to complete the sale. Get them to us ASAP!" Gringo feels relieved, sends the cash. A few days later oops! We hit a snag. Get the picture? What usually happens is after a few years of this gringo realizes he's been taken.

And now the impressive part. One day I'm talking to my car mechanic and I mention Costa Rica (I either just got back or was planning a trip). He tells me his father was going to retire there, tried to buy some property and got cheated; that was three years and he just gave up on it (this conversation was in 1998 or so). A few days later I mentioned CR to a co-worker, and heard a similar story. I started dropping the name Costa Rica in casual conversations. Store clerk "how ya doin' today?" "Not bad, been reading up on taking a vacation in Costa Rica, ever been there?" By my own sloppy calculations, about 1 in 5 people had a story similar to the one above, usually a friend or relative.

As the great sage said, never give a sucker an even break. A lot of these gringos didn't really understand what they were letting themselves in for, and were pretty naive. Anyone who has ever bought property in the US knows about title search, property inspections etc, especially if they're taking out a mortgage (my guess is it's the same in most modern countries). I don't think many bothered with this. I would guess most of them didn't put much effort into researching CR's laws regarding foreigners owning land, tax implications, etc. And when I had conversations with gringos who were planning, or hadn't realized they'd been rooked yet, the word just (as in "just do it!") was used a lot, as in "just make your down payment and let the realtor take care of it." The ticos have learned it is more effective to rob someone with pieces of paper than with knives or guns.

Other kinds of crime? You betcha! In areas that attract tourists it was quite common for someone to come over and 'clean your house' when you were out. Left some laundry out on the clothesline? What laundry? And so on...

There's only one city in the country, San Jose, and walking around after dark is not recommended.

Not that the country is without charm. You will meet a lot of decent people. There is some beautiful geography, from coasts to volcanic mountains. The country does not have a freeway system, nearly all roads are 2-lane blacktop, and the pace of things is relatively slow. I consider these as positives.

anecdote: on one trip I was having breakfast at my hotel (it was more of an inn). Got to talking with this American guy, a doctor, who was in the process of buying a condo up the road, you couldn't ignore the constant window-rattling procession of trucks coming and going from the construction site. "Only $100,000! Place like that would cost $250,000 back home." I had been sniffing around about prices, 10 or 20 acres with a humble but live-able house could be had for less than $40k at the time. The more he spoke the more he convinced me how clueless he was. "You don't need to be able to speak Spanish here." I told him, nicely, that was utter bs. I finished breakfast, went up to my room to freshen up, then headed out a few minutes later. I was coming down the stairs and there was some commotion at the doctor's table. I hung back. More employees came to the table, more commotion. Turned out the doctor wanted more butter, but no one understood him.

I don't know about drugs there, but I saw a few of the tobacco kiosks in SJ also sold crack pipes.

Something else that may account for why people don't last a year there is the rainy season. It can rain continuously for days on end, literally. On one trip I cut myself shaving and for days it wouldn't scab, started to worry me. Dried up during the flight home.

• Like 1

Of course Thailand is a great place to live in and retire to. It is a wonderful country with infinite potential, but spoils its chances on the world stage by blatant errors which any first year psychology student would have no trouble in identifying and exposing !

Tourist numbers are certainly down, and the accurate figures are not being truthfully exposed for obvious reasons. The Visa situation is complicated and hardly user friendly. The level of spoken English is markedly down compared with a couple of decades ago. Security has declined, and the attitude of the Police leaves a considerable amount to be desired. It has to be accepted that 'farangs' are second class citizens or lower, and Thais are never wrong or are able to lose face by admitting so! Possibly Martial Law, although selective, has cleaned up the general image of LOS in some respects, but that and the fiasco over the murders in Koh Tao, have done a lot to dent the image of Thailand throughout the world, but this seems to be ignored by the upper echelons, possibly at their peril.

I could go and on, but I am sure this will evoke a lot of controversial responses, so let's take it from there, for now anyway !

• Like 1

Who pays you for your two pennies of quotes? A Thai loyalist!

Chiang Rai? You serious?

You have been to to these other countries right? Have you lived there?

I doubt it.

Whilst I am in agreement about Mexico and Equador, I have to say that Costa Rica wins hands down compared to Thailand. No comparison.

I've been to Ecuador, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia.

No way do they surpass Chiang Rai, Thailand.

Unless you like "Coca-cola" a lot, 555

The Quecha people in Ecuador are extremely poor and cold and resentful.

Panama is for right-wing idiots who are too stupid to use another currency than American Dollars.

Costa Rica is boring, unless you consider a country packed with dumb Americans and Canadians "exciting".

Columbia is OK, but so much of the money there directly or indirectly comes from their #1 export: Coke. And the glue/gasoline/coke paste sniffers are disgusting (any big city).

Mexico is in the midst of a giant war: drug cartels vs the government. Farangs might be OK, but if you are Mexican and you have any money at all, you are at risk of being extorted or kidnapped.

The food in Columbia and Panama sucks. After a month or two, you will get tired of "gallo pinto", the rice and beans stir fried in lard street food of Costa Rica.

Costa Rica is probably at the top of my list. The country is stable. No military.

Education and healthcare fantastic. Woman.... beautiful.

Do some research. Preferably, live research. VERY BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.

I lived in Thailand for seven years. I am married to a Thai. Currently in Australia, - but I have my eye on moving to Costa Rica ... based a on about six months of living there (before Thailand).

I am done with Thailand. We miss many things about Thailand, - but it seems to have gone down hill.

COSTA RICA. Check it out!

I have lived and worked in Costa Rica for about 13 years until 2003 when I moved to Colombia. I have to admit that Costa Rica is a nice country with plenty of white beaches and a pleasent climate as far as the capítal San Jose is concerned. It is easy for an expat to get a resident permission and to live there the time he likes to. However, the local population seems to me somehow rootless, money is dominating their values. If they look for a friendship with expats it is only to improve their own status. An expat from the USA who lived in Costa Rica for about 10 years told me that, despite trying constantly, he never managed to have a real TICO friend. When it comes to the beautiful TICO girls please be prudent. Too many expats have lost their properties to their spouses or managed to leave the country before getting a legal notification that they cannot leave the country (impediment of departure). 2 ex-presidents have been in jail for bribery and the unions are sacking the public institutions. Before you really decide to move on to CR you may read the local "Tico Times" http://www.ticotimes.net/ to get a better feeling for the country.

I started checking out CR in the late 1990s. My info dates from that time, haven't kept up with the changes.

I think the biggest thing that worked against those looking to buy a condo or real estate was they got scammed by shady realtors, assessors, bankers, lawyers, etc.

The tune usually goes something this: all is set up and looks great, gringo makes a sizable down payment, all should be settled in a few weeks.

A few weeks later. Oops! We hit a snag. Shouldn't be a problem, we need another few weeks. Then another few weeks. Gringo is getting worried.

After about a month "hey, a breakthrough! We can sew this whole thing up in a few days, but we need the remaining funds to complete the sale. Get them to us ASAP!" Gringo feels relieved, sends the cash. A few days later oops! We hit a snag. Get the picture? What usually happens is after a few years of this gringo realizes he's been taken.

And now the impressive part. One day I'm talking to my car mechanic and I mention Costa Rica (I either just got back or was planning a trip). He tells me his father was going to retire there, tried to buy some property and got cheated; that was three years and he just gave up on it (this conversation was in 1998 or so). A few days later I mentioned CR to a co-worker, and heard a similar story. I started dropping the name Costa Rica in casual conversations. Store clerk "how ya doin' today?" "Not bad, been reading up on taking a vacation in Costa Rica, ever been there?" By my own sloppy calculations, about 1 in 5 people had a story similar to the one above, usually a friend or relative.

As the great sage said, never give a sucker an even break. A lot of these gringos didn't really understand what they were letting themselves in for, and were pretty naive. Anyone who has ever bought property in the US knows about title search, property inspections etc, especially if they're taking out a mortgage (my guess is it's the same in most modern countries). I don't think many bothered with this. I would guess most of them didn't put much effort into researching CR's laws regarding foreigners owning land, tax implications, etc. And when I had conversations with gringos who were planning, or hadn't realized they'd been rooked yet, the word just (as in "just do it!") was used a lot, as in "just make your down payment and let the realtor take care of it." The ticos have learned it is more effective to rob someone with pieces of paper than with knives or guns.

Other kinds of crime? You betcha! In areas that attract tourists it was quite common for someone to come over and 'clean your house' when you were out. Left some laundry out on the clothesline? What laundry? And so on...

There's only one city in the country, San Jose, and walking around after dark is not recommended.

Not that the country is without charm. You will meet a lot of decent people. There is some beautiful geography, from coasts to volcanic mountains. The country does not have a freeway system, nearly all roads are 2-lane blacktop, and the pace of things is relatively slow. I consider these as positives.

anecdote: on one trip I was having breakfast at my hotel (it was more of an inn). Got to talking with this American guy, a doctor, who was in the process of buying a condo up the road, you couldn't ignore the constant window-rattling procession of trucks coming and going from the construction site. "Only $100,000! Place like that would cost $250,000 back home." I had been sniffing around about prices, 10 or 20 acres with a humble but live-able house could be had for less than $40k at the time. The more he spoke the more he convinced me how clueless he was. "You don't need to be able to speak Spanish here." I told him, nicely, that was utter bs. I finished breakfast, went up to my room to freshen up, then headed out a few minutes later. I was coming down the stairs and there was some commotion at the doctor's table. I hung back. More employees came to the table, more commotion. Turned out the doctor wanted more butter, but no one understood him.

I don't know about drugs there, but I saw a few of the tobacco kiosks in SJ also sold crack pipes.

Something else that may account for why people don't last a year there is the rainy season. It can rain continuously for days on end, literally. On one trip I cut myself shaving and for days it wouldn't scab, started to worry me. Dried up during the flight home.

I fully agree on your comments about CR

Was at one time! not sure now.

I can agree with some of the points about retirement, but I guess I do not understand about the low cost medical. Maybe someone can explain; possible the survey included only the ultra rich Farangs with millions of baht to get by on. On a personal note, having to pay more than $500 a month for health insurance is not a bargain by any standard, but that is my only option at age 67. That is for hospitalization only. I am charged about 4 times Thai prices for meds when I use any doctor or hospital and my wife just says sorry about that GI, LOL. You no Thai, you pay mak mak baht you sick. Other than that I have no objection to getting the shaft from every tuktuk driver and sidewalk vendor in the area. I love Thailand......most of the time

Was at one time! not sure now.

I can agree with some of the points about retirement, but I guess I do not understand about the low cost medical. Maybe someone can explain; possible the survey included only the ultra rich Farangs with millions of baht to get by on. On a personal note, having to pay more than $500 a month for health insurance is not a bargain by any standard, but that is my only option at age 67. That is for hospitalization only. I am charged about 4 times Thai prices for meds when I use any doctor or hospital and my wife just says sorry about that GI, LOL. You no Thai, you pay mak mak baht you sick. Other than that I have no objection to getting the shaft from every tuktuk driver and sidewalk vendor in the area. I love Thailand......most of the time

$500 a month??? Are you a 60 a day smoker and wrestle King cobras on the weekend??