Can I start this kind of business in Thailand?

I practice a form of alternative physiotherapy in Canada, and am interested to move to Thailand and set up my practice there. I'm not interested to have someone hire me, but rather would like to set up my own practice. But I don't know how I would do that. Does anyone know if it's possible? Obviously I'm not looking to start a big company and invest money, but is it possible some other way?

You need to be licensed to practice in Thailand. Your Canadian qualification will most likely not be accepted, but possibly contribute to some extent in obtaining a local licence.

You need to be able to read and write Thai to obtain relevant qualifications I assume.

Some info here in Thai: http://www.thaipt.org/

Alternatively make contact here: http://www.wcpt.org/node/25472

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Absolutely you could do it. You need to consult with some of the better established lawyer firms (not naming any for fear of being scolded for advertising) and get the lowdown from them - you won't get much other than negatives on this forum sadly! but provided you did all the Thai business setup, found a Thai business partner and employ 4 staff (i.e. pay social fund) etc,etc,etc; your costs probably for operating (excluding premises & salaries) would run to between 200-350k THB for first 12 months. Including full company set up, work permit, visa, social fund and so forth. I would recommend coming to Thailand first for 12 months however and making a full and complete evaluation that what you would be providing is A) Unique enough and B) There would be sufficient demand to sustain a profitable business.

• Like 1

Sounds like "alternative physiotherapy" has faced some headwinds back on North American turf. I expect any sort of medical licensing here would be difficult to impossible. And, as others have said, anywhere you might expect to attract some farang "patients" there will probably already be a number of massage parlors with far more attractive practitioners on stand-by. Can't see many Thais flocking to your operation.

The Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) was surprised and dismayed to read articles in two of North America's most prestigious newspapers which question the use of certain commonly used physiotherapy treatments for musculoskeletal injuries. The articles, titled "Some physical therapy may be a stretch" and "Treat me, but no tricks please" suggest that ice, heat, ultrasound and other modalities are "voodoo" treatments. CPA wants Canadians to know that there is scientific evidence for the use of these modalities as part of a comprehensive treatment plan which would also include education, exercise, and manual therapy as prescribed by physiotherapists.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100109/Physiotherapy-not-alternative-medicine-or-voodoo-says-CPA.aspx

• Like 1

Yes you can. Just let the Thais give the therapies. And you could use your 'foreigner status' to your advantage while building your brand. Foreign (Western) means quality here.

This is how I would go about it.

1.Establish a company with a Thai you could trust. This would take care of the work permit issue. Look into the detail regarding work permit quota vs capital invested. Note that you don't need to shell out 100% of your declared capital at get go. Start small. Forgive me. I couldn't write out all the details here as it would take forever.

2.Recruitment: Consider Health Land's (a large branch of traditional thai massage center) business/revenue model. HL does not hire its staff. In order for anyone to work there, the person will have to pay HL to take a course on how to give "HL's therapeutic massages" before passing a test to get certification. Then the "certified" masseuse could work in HL's facility and get a cut (plus tip) from each customer they tend to. They don't get monthly salary. So simply speaking, all HL does is it trains and facilitates. And get paid. You could do the same but minus the 20 million Baht facilites.

3. Shift target and focus on approachable niche. Perhaps office workers with office syndromes who need a quick "recharge". Nearly all of my colleagues have neck/back ache. Keep it simple. Imagine a capsule or a cool looking pod in office buildings (does not cost much to build, does not take up much space therefore cheap rent and mobile theredore highly versatile) where office workers could pop in for a rejuvinating no frill session without having to go through time consuming rituals like parking, changing into robes, etc. We dont have that here yet. And you could always do "surprise visits" where you could do what you love and give clients first hand experience of your therapy. ;)

Then if you'd like, you could eventually open a flagship center with full-on equipments where people could join the "club" to recharge over nice cups of your own therapeutic tea. And here is where you could start merchandising! There's so much you could do. I wish you the best of luck here in Thailand. : )

• Like 1

Do a search here on work permits and then find the list of prohibited occupations here in Thailand, I am sure that you will find that "physiotherapy" alternative or not, is most likely reserved for Thais

It would be very hard for any Farang to start a business in Thailand, if it was successful, you would start to get lots of competition.

Absolutely you could do it. You need to consult with some of the better established lawyer firms (not naming any for fear of being scolded for advertising) and get the lowdown from them - you won't get much other than negatives on this forum sadly! but provided you did all the Thai business setup, found a Thai business partner and employ 4 staff (i.e. pay social fund) etc,etc,etc; your costs probably for operating (excluding premises & salaries) would run to between 200-350k THB for first 12 months. Including full company set up, work permit, visa, social fund and so forth. I would recommend coming to Thailand first for 12 months however and making a full and complete evaluation that what you would be providing is A) Unique enough and cool.png There would be sufficient demand to sustain a profitable business.

You might think twice before you speak? I'm not taking sides and you are right you will get on this topic lots of negative but what you just listed is a extensive NEGATIVE! if I was thinking about opening a business you just answer why not.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. A couple things to add: I do have the plan to train Thai people to do the work, I already have two who are interested to study with me. I teach workshops across Canada and there is a great demand for this style of work, specifically connective tissue manipulation. I'm not concerned about competition from Thai massage, the two methods are completely different, with different goals and different outcomes.

But from your replies I understand the legalities now, so thanks a bunch, now I can figure out if/how I want to proceed.