What is a reasonable income for living in Thailand?

Bill Miller

This is a subject which has been "discussed" between myself and my Thai best friend. Her idea is that a proper "boyfriend" takes care of all of his girlfriend's financial needs including her family, of course. I would not mind carrying the bulk of the burden, but I do not see why one's partner cannot contribute at least a part time income to the deal. Is this a usual attitude? We are talking someone who has managed to support herself and a daughter for twenty odd years with no help from the father of the child.
The crux of the matter is that I have an income of somewhat over one million tb. Yeah, that is not exactly Hiso, but it seems it should be plenty to support a couple and help one aging parent as well.
Am I way off base here? I would like any comments regarding experiences with both of these elements, whether it is usual for a Thai woman to expect the man in a relationship to carry the whole nut, and what is considered a comfortable income on average, with full cognizance that a village in Chiang Mai will have a different standard from Metro Bangkok.

If she is smart enough to get you to support her parents and any others then good for her

It is not your responsibility to pay for her family ... cannot wait to her what you will be asked to pay for sin sid 555

My GF has a job, she sends money every month to to her mother, she pays the mortgage for her mothers home

really difficult question to answer as it depends where you live,your life style,ect,do you want to travel around,ect,and as village farang mentioned start up costs,personally i could live on that a year,and actually probably live on less,depends on how you want to live ,as for the girlfriend,well that is a common idea here when applied to a farang boyfriend husband,as opposed to a Thai plus Thai relationship,as they think all farang are rich,remeber when you part and she say's "take care",this means take care of me not look after yourself.

The answer to this is simple would you do it in your own country???? then why should you do it in Thailand ..You have come to Live in a country not surrender your identity & adopt another... If you wanted to do such a thing try the Jesus Army in Uk they like to take everything financially to share with other namely the Leader!!!! Or one of the many churches that like donations from your Salary. Measure twice cut one is my advise think hard before you decide..

• Like 2

...watch your step buddy.....

...many have lost a lot more than you...

...put the onus on you....civilized Mr. Nice Guy......

...nice guys do finish last.....

...you are being set up......

...friendship...never mind love...is contingent on your willingness to dish out....

...that is the experience I and many others have had......

• Like 1

It saddens me to keep hearing stories like these.

There are wonderful Thai ladies out there!

I don't know you or her properly, but I can say that wouldn't be good enough for me.

I make fairly good money and here's a typical situation that happens in our family that may help you to see how different things can be.

This weekend my mother-in-laws old box TV died. We gave her a lift to Tesco to buy a new one. She planned to buy another old style box TV. Somewhat selfishly I offered her our flatscreen for free (because I wanted a better one). There was zero chance that she was going to accept the TV for free but couldn't afford it, even at it's apparent second hand value. Her family rallied together and scrounged up 5k for it which I was forced to accept.

There are plenty of stories of Thai women and their associated families taking farangs for a ride.

The complete opposite also exists. I hope you can also find it.

• Like 1

" Her idea is that a proper "boyfriend" takes care of all of his girlfriend's financial needs including her family, of course."[

What a load of rubbish ..... mate , if you believe that then you are surely gonna get taken for a ride. coffee1.gif

I think your post is a load of rubbish. Most blokes come here and don't work. Meaning they have retired whatever age they are. If they have a gf she then does not work so they can travel etc. Or you have her work for minimal money. So what we do is ask one important question. WHAT IS THE MONTHLY COMMITMENT to her and family. Call this her salary. This will include and family and buffalo. On top of that you will pay for EVERYTHING ..rent, travel booze eating out etc etc.

One mill won't go close. You can't afford it

• Like 2

I make from min 50K to 100K a month depending on business. I pay the rent of 10K a month

GF earns 30K a month, but she saves 10K and send another 5K to her parents so she is left with 15K spending money.

On the months I make only 50K, we struggle a bit, as her 15K usually only lasts her 3 weeks and I give her 5K so after rent I only have 35K.

Ii also pay child support of 10K a month, which then give me 25K a month.

So I basically live off 25K a month (on a bad) with all living expenses paid.

If I didnt drink, I could easily live off that, but I am out about 4 nights a week so it can get a bit thin.

But I probably average about 70 to 80K a month and I can live very comfortably with that and even have a trip to Hua hin or Pattaya for a weekend.

• Like 1