Damn mosquitoes

keebone

OK thanks for the link, problem I'm not sure at all if they are working, or witch one works if any, Home Pro have many models too but I would prefer hear from TV users than from a seller.smile.png

They love scented soaps etc. try to buy non scents stuff. If you get bitten, what ever you do, do not scratch. But on the balm the Thais use and leave it alone and it will be fine soon after. Most of the mosquito killers advertised are only mosquito catcher, Get a blue light Master trap by Black Hole. It works like the tennis racket zapper . It has a Blue light to attract them, and a fan to draw them into the mesh to be electrocuted. You can have the pleasure of hearing the crack as they get fried. I live in a leaky wooden house and rarely get bitten. The fan can be turned off at night if you sleep with it on in the bedroom.

Toany, Have you ever used this outside? I see it is sold as an indoor mozzie trap. I tend to get bitten when sitting in the garden watching the sun go down. If you have tested this outdoors and it attracts them and fries them there too then I will be investing in one for 800 baht. Thanks

Edited by alien365

It is not a repellent, it is a killer. It is designed for indoor use only. There are so many bugs around outside at night. Expect to be bitten if you are sitting outside at dusk. Sorry, I thought it was a serious discussion and not a troll

Anyone tried one of these?

A very similar product is available at Homepro. It's not cheap (15000 THB or more) but would be well worth it if it works.

Honestly, I can't imagine a light-based system costing $500! These should be not more than B3,000 for a super-duper, fancy one. Most you still need to add insecticide, though there is no contact with humans.

I suspect the expensive variety are those that use bottled gas, can cover a wide area and be used outdoors as well.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Little buggers used to bother me all the time. Now i close the screens at 5pm and (on a friends advice), i shower with Lemon scented soap. I may have the occasional, persistent one now ( which i play tennis with and I always win), but they hardly bother me at all, these days

It is not a repellent, it is a killer. It is designed for indoor use only. There are so many bugs around outside at night. Expect to be bitten if you are sitting outside at dusk. Sorry, I thought it was a serious discussion and not a troll

Thanks, I edited repellent to killer straight away. For info I didn't start the thread, it was just my own query since the outdoor ones are more expensive and on the mosquito magnet website it says usage in small bedrooms, kitchens and etc. If there are no gasses emitted then I would hope that the room size/space shouldn't matter that much and If I put one of these next to the table outside I would still hope that the light would attract the mozzies close to the table and the fan draw them in.

Thanks for suggestions. I'm over on the darkside of Pattaya. House is my Mother and Father in laws so if they don't want spray that's entirely their perogative. I'm over for 2 - 3 months a year so not about to buy a house for such a visit.

Thought I'd get away for a couple of days, not because of the mozzies but the thought of a brief respite was appealing. Come to Chantaburi, had a walk round town, back to hotel and into garden to sit and have a cold drink and within 5 mins got bit about 5 times, that's after applying mozzy cream today. Must be something about my blood, it's like somtam to Thai mozzies.

It seems to be more mosquitos around my house now than 6 months ago, it's my garden plants that keeps them alive. Everytime I open the door , 5 or 6 of them follows me in and then the fun starts. I try to zip them with the racket but they are easy to miss. Before I leave the house I use bug spray. Not sure what else to do. Maybe get rid of the plants.

Mozzies will go to the warmer part of the room, so leave a fan on near your bed. Mozzies avoid fresh sweat but are attracted to sweat that is turning acrid (shower before going to bed). Search and destroy stagnant water near the house, old tyres will retain water well into the dry season. We rarely get mozzies inside here, when we do, it is either the wife or me that gets bitten, not both.

Anyone tried one of these?

A very similar product is available at Homepro. It's not cheap (15000 THB or more) but would be well worth it if it works.

where did you get 15,000 bhat from?

http://www.amazon.com/Dynatrap-Insect-Trap-Acre-Original/dp/B000H68U9K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420562605&sr=8-2&keywords=dynatrap

surely you got that wrong? maybe 1500?

I would be interested to know if anyone has had much success with these things, a mate of mine said the cheap frog looking device works best but only in darkness

http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/directtoshop/black-hole-junior-mosquito-mosquito-trap-p220594

Edited by ryanhull

I have tried it 6 months ago, exactly 100% same recipe, I was so convinced it would have worked I told my wife'' before''

Shame on me not a single one in the bottle...Why ? I do not know.sad.png

I think you need to get the balance just right..

I've done it and catched loads of the little fekkers, and other mutli-winged beasties.

i was not able to isolate entry point at my old place. went through each screen and window with a comb. used to burn the coils indoors like incense but got tired of breathing that regularly.

finally had a tennis racket positioned in several areas of the house. i would also carry one with me as i walked around the house, watched tv etc. spraying is likely to just be gassing yourself since the population is unlimited.

each evening would go through house and kill kill kilroy. had a net over the bed i retired under and that with fans kept them away until daylight. nasty creatures. one of the few beings i show no mercy towards when it comes to killing.

im talking about hundreds getting in nightly, not 5 or 6.

ever been to cambodia or vietnam. no mosquitos!

Edited by fey

Just apply citronella spray or lotion, it'll keep them away, they hate the smell, or what the Thais do is, they take the plant, which is here called Tá Krai - which is lemongrass from which in turn citronella is made -and boil it, then leave the pot where it is most needed, let's say in your bedroom.

First thing thought you should do at least every 7 days, is get rid of all standing water in the house, including the bathroom. That means also the water you use to bathe. This will assure the mosquito larvae will not mature, as there cycle is around 7 days.

Edited by Impossible

I can do away with all repellents I never get any....reason when I built my house I made it airtight, even Jing Joks cant get in.

When you open the front door the ceilings get pulled down, I never open windows, air con on if hot, extractor fan in bathroom will open the door if left ajar as it tries to suck air outta the room.

Sounds very healthy - screw you fresh air!!!

Maybe try a home made mossie trap. Those blue light gadgets are great for flies that seek light however, mossies only accidently get caught.

They seek carbon dioxide.

The Dynatray expensive machine looks to produce Co2 as well as a fan to draw them in and blue light for the other critters so it should be good.

Here's a DIY job that needs refilled about every two weeks;

What you will need:

- 1 plastic 2 litre Coca-cola bottle

- Knife and scissors

- Duct tape

• A pot for boiling

- 1/2 cup of brown sugar the nearer to raw the better

- 1/2 cup of water

-11 grams of active dry yeast (not sure where to get that - I live out in the styks west of Bangkok.)

In Spain we have some tiny black flies we call flying teeth!

There is a fly trap there that has a very slowly revolving roller that has traces of dry, sugared water on it.

The flies land and feed and fail to notice that the rotation takes them inside the trap.

Then they can't find the way out.

A friend of mine had one and it was great, full of buzzing flies.

No good for mossies though.

I can do away with all repellents I never get any....reason when I built my house I made it airtight, even Jing Joks cant get in.

When you open the front door the ceilings get pulled down, I never open windows, air con on if hot, extractor fan in bathroom will open the door if left ajar as it tries to suck air outta the room.

Sounds very healthy - screw you fresh air!!!

living in a bubble would work as well. like my neighbor...

sits inside with sir con all day and drinks red wine. comes out once in awhile and talks about how great thailand is.

needs to have his laundry delivered also, and dried. wont do it by hand..

They love scented soaps etc. try to buy non scents stuff. If you get bitten, what ever you do, do not scratch. But on the balm the Thais use and leave it alone and it will be fine soon after. Most of the mosquito killers advertised are only mosquito catcher, Get a blue light Master trap by Black Hole. It works like the tennis racket zapper . It has a Blue light to attract them, and a fan to draw them into the mesh to be electrocuted. You can have the pleasure of hearing the crack as they get fried. I live in a leaky wooden house and rarely get bitten. The fan can be turned off at night if you sleep with it on in the bedroom.

After reading this thread I got one of these from Homepro. Got home plugged it in, nice blue light .... 10 minutes later there's a bang and the lights go out... now no nice blue light. Off back to Homepro for a replacement tomorrow!

I rarely spray in the bedroom, but I use spray when in the bathroom and see one. Have several "bats" around and use them when they are seen.

I also leave spider webs on the ceilings as they catch some too.

Obviously, have screens on the windows.

I have the Black Hole zappers, but they don't seem to work very well.