california usa driving not legal to drive motor bike in thailand

quadperfect

yesterday I was stopped at a check point in Phuket on my motorbike .i had my helmet and my California driving license. I was under the impression I was legally driving.

the farang officer told me for car only. not bike. he then took my driving license and told me to cue up and pay the fine as there were about 30 others just like me from all countrys told they have in valid driving licenses. everyone was angry and confused as no one told them at the bike rental shop that a thai license or specially endorsed license was needed for bike rentals.

This is bad enough to have a valid driving license from a first world country denied in a third world country.

But then the officer while i was in the line to pay the fine gave my driving license to another motor biker and so now he lost my license and just said sorry kid.

I am 51 he was about 70 is my guess.

I wanted to punch the guy because he was a complete jerk about it all. he was telling people to stop complaining or he would charge them 1000 baht not the 500.

I was standing there and he was saying sorry kid it happens.

So now I am with out my driving license and on a 1 year trip. I cant drive in any country I visit w out first returning to America to obtain a new license. I am here just 3 weeks now and plan 4 months here then autralia and other countrys I will need my drving license to rent cars or bikes for travel.

I went to police station filed a complaint and lost report.

The officer there was very polite and apologetic.also farang and he called the officer on the phone about my license. the farang officer said he had no idea where it was.

The officer originally told me that he gave it to the wrong guy and that he has something of his so he will get it back for me and to just wait.I waited 1 hour then he told me sorry kid. The story was he had given the wrong guy my license and he was holding his license. then the guy was to be at atm machine to get the money for the fine . what a complete lie why would he give the guy his license back to go to atm machine com on man .

any one have any ideas what I can do now?

This has always been the case here in Thailand. If you don't have the bike license endorsement then your drivers license is not valid to ride bike here. Biggest problem is if you have accident then insurance is also not valid as you are on road illegally. I have a Washington State drivers license but no bike endorsement so not legal to ride bike in Thailand. However I also have a Thai bike license. The Thai bike license is not valid to ride bike in Washington State even tho I have both Thai drivers and bike license.

• Like 1

This has always been the case here in Thailand. If you don't have the bike license endorsement then your drivers license is not valid to ride bike here. Biggest problem is if you have accident then insurance is also not valid as you are on road illegally. I have a Washington State drivers license but no bike endorsement so not legal to ride bike in Thailand. However I also have a Thai bike license. The Thai bike license is not valid to ride bike in Washington State even tho I have both Thai drivers and bike license.

You are right if there is no motorbike part on the license it still is not legal. Lot of expats here forget that even if you have a motorbike license from your home country and you are here longer as 3 months you will have to have a Thai one. They are too lazy to get it right and complain when they get caught (not the case here as the guy is a tourist)

If you have a valid car license you can ride a scooter using that car license if the engine capacity of the scooter is less than 115cc. So, if your riding a Fino or Scoopy or Wave 110 you are right.

There is a lot of confusion about this issue.

Foreigners are not employed as police in Thailand.

They have no right to take any documents from you, or issue any fines.

Don't be fooled by fake police, if they aren't Thai, tell them to bog off.

Agreed. If one of these volunteer guys tries to push you around, tell him to get a real cop or just get out of your face.

• Like 2

The thai cop probably did Ya A favor in losing your license.If I was in charge in Thailand I would say no foreigner

Can operate A motorcycle in Thailand unless they live in Thailand.

I see so many farang motorcycle accidents at no fault of the farang it's unbelievable.Like I said the cop probably

Did Ya A favor.I know this isn't helping you.You'll have to take the Tuk Tuk,songthew,taxi,or walk

• Like 1

you might be correct but everyday I see at least 6 working with 20 or more thais at the state police barrack in pattaya. I think the thais will back these guys up 100%

The thai cop probably did Ya A favor in losing your license.If I was in charge in Thailand I would say no foreigner

I see so many farang motorcycle accidents at no fault of the farang it's unbelievable.Like I said the cop probably

Did Ya A favor.I know this isn't helping you.You'll have to take the Tuk Tuk,songthew,taxi,or walk

Why blame farang?!

Please blame the motorbike rental shops that are renting any bike to anyone without asking a license, without any questions asked!

They are the faulty part here. Not farang.

And i dont even talk with a farang cop, never give them any shit, dont even look at their face.

Just tell them go away and bring a Thai police.

Edited by ll2

Forget it. Just drive as you wish. You won't get pulled over often. When you do, poke around in your pockets and then get the lost license act going. You'll pay a little fine and off you go. Your license can be replaced when you return home.

• Like 2

What's a "Ya"?

• Like 2

Do the states in the USA not issue an international licence valid for 12 months for both cars and motorbikes?

Did you not do any research on driving in Thailand before you came over?

1. States do not issue IDLs.

2. Nor you.

Why blame farang?!

Please blame the motorbike rental shops that are renting any bike to anyone without asking a license, without any questions asked!

They are the faulty part here. Not farang.

And i dont even talk with a farang cop, never give them any shit, dont even look at their face.

Just tell them go away and bring a Thai police.

Pfft.

Rental & sales shops have no legal obligation to assure the renter/buyer has a DL or is competent in any way.

If the shop was willing, my dog could rent a bike if he came wagging up with the baht in his mouth.

If I had a dog.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

you might be correct but everyday I see at least 6 working with 20 or more thais at the state police barrack in pattaya. I think the thais will back these guys up 100%

Then let the Thai do it!

Most of the foreigner wannabes can't even communicate with the Thai police.

Waste as much of everyone's time as you possibly can, the more time they spend with you, the less money they can collect from others.

^

Considering his valid US license was given away to someone else and now he has a very real problem with no solution, and the 'police' basically said to F-off, maybe he does have a valid point.

There's a difference between 'smug superiority' and being righteously annoyed at incompetence.

• Like 2

If the policeman handed your licence to the wrong guy then he must still have that guys licence and details, surely they can get in touch with him to swap licences, he would have probably put your licence back in his wallet without checking it

• Like 1

Do the states in the USA not issue an international licence valid for 12 months for both cars and motorbikes?

Did you not do any research on driving in Thailand before you came over?

1. States do not issue IDLs.

2. Nor you.

Actually yes I did a lot of research before and during my time in Thailand.

The research below I have just done online in less than 5 minutes. Easy on Google. Try it yourself one day.

The reason I asked if states in the USA issue an international licence is because I am from the UK where we CAN get an international driving licence. Even Thailand issues them.

Texas has something similar here. http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&ti=37&ch=15&rl=91

There is a bit on IDP here http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-drive.html

Follow these links to learn more about getting an IDP:

You can also contact both organizations off-line if you wish:

AAA (American Automobile Association)

1000 AAA Drive

Heathrow, FL 32745-5063

American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

1151 E. Hillsdale Blvd

Foster City, CA94404

Tel: 800-622-7070

FAX:650-294-7040

International Driving Permit (IDP) Scams

You can obtain a valid IDP only from an automobile association authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue IDPs. Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949) authorizes the U.S. Department of State to empower certain organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. drivers licenses.

The Department has designated the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance as theonly authorized distributors of IDPs.

Edited by billd766

Like the OP said. States do not issue IDL only the federal government (State Dept) which authorizes AAA and NAC. These organizations have offices in the different States but are not regulated by the individual state. Washington State for example recognizes IDL for car from Thailand but does not accept IDL for motorbike.

unfortunately my drivers license is still out there or on the side of the road more likely.

the coper still telling me he is looking for it.

what a mess.

california law requires me to be in person to apply for re issue of my driving license.

california allows a maximum 250 cc bike to be driven under the standard driving license for cars so i was thinking i was ok here .

Cops dont care if i make a wave they will just throw me in jail or deport me or whatever they want so i am just another tourist getting shafted by the system. Or so thats the way it feels

In my country it would a lot different situation.i would have rights.

its costing me 2000 dollars to go back to california thanks phuket farang police man who would not give me my license as i demanded 3 times before he so easily gave it away to another person who i think is just as bad and just as much to blame. He did a runner

something needs to be done about the lack of policing on bike rental companys. Simple force all motor bike rental companys to verify license is allowed to drive bike

This will shut down a huge tourist economic flow and the laws will change and will stop all the tourist traps set up just for us guys who are tourists in phuket from unwilingly supporting the police funds of phuket w fines clearly targeting farang

unfortunately my drivers license is still out there or on the side of the road more likely.

the coper still telling me he is looking for it.

what a mess.

california law requires me to be in person to apply for re issue of my driving license.

california allows a maximum 250 cc bike to be driven under the standard driving license for cars so i was thinking i was ok here .

Cops dont care if i make a wave they will just throw me in jail or deport me or whatever they want so i am just another tourist getting shafted by the system. Or so thats the way it feels

In my country it would a lot different situation.i would have rights.

its costing me 2000 dollars to go back to california thanks phuket farang police man who would not give me my license as i demanded 3 times before he so easily gave it away to another person who i think is just as bad and just as much to blame. He did a runner

something needs to be done about the lack of policing on bike rental companys. Simple force all motor bike rental companys to verify license is allowed to drive bike

This will shut down a huge tourist economic flow and the laws will change and will stop all the tourist traps set up just for us guys who are tourists in phuket from unwilingly supporting the police funds of phuket w fines clearly targeting farang

I understand where you are coming from. In the States first thing the rental agency's want to see is your driving license. No license or proper endorsement, no rental. Same in most countries. Should be the same here. But this is Thailand, different mindset. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Seedy

you are a probobly the guy who ran off with my driving license arent you.

lets say you are the one for sake of youre complete lack of understanding the situation that i am currently in.

I am about as pissed off at youre ignorance as w the copers

• Like 2