Re-positioning pantry corner to different end of condo living room

Hi

I'm interested to buy in a new condo. However, the unit with the size I like has a terrible layout, with the pantry located just before the balcony area, where one would normally find the sofa/TV area. If I could move the pantry back into the room near the main entrance, I would consider buying the unit.

But I wonder what is involved to re-position the pantry, a distance of about 6m and along the same side of the living room wall. The 2 water inlet pipes (hot & cold) and 1 drainage pipe will be affected, and I would want them to remain concealed. If it can be done at all, I guess the contractor would need to bore a horizontal opening along the wall, to run the water pipes horizontally from the existing position to the new location, and then replaster the wall. As for the drainage hole, he would need to bore a trench from the new pantry and run it to the existing drainage hole. The drainage pipe will then run along this trench, which again need to be covered/concreted up so I can lay my flooring as per normal.

I'm not even sure it can be done, and whether it is even advisable to do it. I wouldn't want problems like eg, water pressure affected, drainage blockage etc.

Btw, I'm assuming the condo will allow me to do such things whistling.gif

You should have no problems with the water supply pipes, channel the wall and bury them.

The drain may be more of an issue as channelling the floor slab may not be possible / allowed due to structural constraints and the wall may not be thick enough to bury it.

You could run all the pipes on the surface with a nice decorative box over them as a simple solution.

Best to talk to the condo engineer (if it's a new construction) or your contractor (if it's not).

Don't forget to provide power outlets for your microwave, kettle, etc.

Any renovation / adjustments will require the permission (in writing) of the condo management before you start any work.

The drain may be more of an issue as channelling the floor slab may not be possible / allowed due to structural constraints and the wall may not be thick enough to bury it.

You could run all the pipes on the surface with a nice decorative box over them as a simple solution.

Yes, I've thought about running the drainage pipe along the floor and then boxing it up. But then I wouldn't be able to place my furniture (eg sofa) right up against the wall. I think the drainage pipe is about 2inch in diameter, so we able talking a gap of perhaps 4" wide, including the box up. Not aesthetically pleasing but doable I guess.

Alternatively, as the unit is not yet completed, I could talk to the developer about changing the floor plans, which seems the easiest way. But I like to have options in place in case they don't agree. rolleyes.gif

Since its still under construction a floor plan adjustment would be easiest.

The contractor can just core through the slab and run the pipes in the ceiling void of the unit below (as is standard practice).

Cost should be small if he agrees.

A 2nd wall layer using gypsum can be installed on an existing brickwall to conceal services. Easy for future maintainence as well.

Yes, I could do that too. Perhaps if they cut it close, a depth of less than 3" is sufficient for both water and drainage pipes, then I don't need any messy hacking of the wall. What is the usual thickness of the gypsum board? Losing 3" width of floorspace along the living room is probably ok with me but not more.

Edited by giibaht

Perhaps ask the developer if they can do it for extra fee if condo is not built yet? If not, then it will be hard to get it done later on if you plan on digging through any of the walls, most won't approve for new condos if you plan on touching any of the walls. Drainage seems to be the biggest problem, I don't recommend messing with it, increasing the horizontal distance is not that good in case something goes wrong later on, it will be costly to fix. I believe most drainage pipes are located within a meter or two to the main drainage pipes (correct me if I'm wrong).