Sending a debit card from the UK

torrow

Depending on how quickly you need it there are a couple of options.

1 - DHL Letter, this will cost about 30-40 pounds but it will arrive in about 3-4 days. Only documents are allowed. Staples office supply stores often accept DHL packages.

2 - Royal mail international signed for, it can take up to 10 working days to arrive.

When mailing a credit or debit card I get a small hardback notebook like one of those free diary companies give away each year and tape the card to one of the inside pages.

Then I tape the diary closed, add in some other paperwork for 'padding' and send it as a letter containing documents of 0 value.

Edited by ukrules

keep in mind it is a debit card. it has no value without the pin number. if your worried about loosing it ,have no money in the account the card is used on. just wrap the card in writing paper and post it like a letter. I have done this a few times and no problems. do not send the pin number until you have the card. if the card goes missing just apply for a new one

• Like 2

It works like this:

First the customer if living in Thailand must have an offshore UK savings account. Then the customer makes an application either online or by phone for a debit card pertaining to their savings account.

The UK bank first sends the debit card with a membership number to an address in Thailand that the customer has registered with their UK bank.

A few days later the UK bank sends a pin number to the same Thailand address. Once received the customer has to peel off an adhesive cover exposing the membership and pin numbers. Once the card, membership and pin number is received, the customer then has to phone their UK bank, going through their security clearance procedures to activate the card and numbers. The customer than has the choice of going into their online account or phoning their bank change the pin number. Easy peesy.

If for some reasons the customer is trying to hoodwink their UK bank and the bank believes that the customer has an address in the UK, then it becomes the risk of customers having the card sent over to Thailand, as they are totally uncovered if the card or numbers go astray or it is used by criminals to gain access into a customers account.

I dunno about sending one from the UK, but I simply registered my address in Thailand with my NZ bank, I've then simply had my credit/debit cards arrive in the mail, exactly the same way as what they did in NZ.

Neither my debit or credit cards are active until I activate them via my online banking or over the phone with my bank's call center, but I know each bank is different, and so it might be more risky if your bank doesn't have a secure way of activating your card (e.g. I had a Diners card sent to me in NZ about 10 years ago, and it was stolen out of my mailbox, because there weren't any safeguards in place by Diners, someone racked up the equivalent of 200,000 THB worth of debt, which of course was their problem not mine).

I be honest I do not understand why the OP is asking the question?

Usually the banks give this information as standard, and will advise of the process for those who are unsure. As our SlyAnimal says; each bank may have a slightly different procedure, but nevertheless I would have thought the bank would have been the first line of inquiry if the OP has been truthful with his UK bank and intends obtaining the said debit card via his bank`s official procedure.

Usually the banks give this information as standard, and will advise of the process for those who are unsure. As our SlyAnimal says; each bank may have a slightly different procedure, but nevertheless I would have thought the bank would have been the first line of inquiry if the OP has been truthful with his UK bank and intends obtaining the said debit card via his bank`s official procedure.

Perhaps he is in the UK and wants to send it to someone in Thailand?

He might wonder how others have sent one, what's the best way.

Op, tell the UK bank money will be coming out mainly in Thailand.

If you use a Thai address most (all?) UK banks won't post a card to you. (I believe this is a rule from Visa and MasterCard based upon which country you live in.) You have to go to a bank branch in the UK in person to pick it up, which is hardly convenient. No surprise that most British expats prefer to continue to use a UK address for their account.

Banks such as Nationwide prefer that you open an account with Nationwide International - but Nationwide International doesn't offer debit cards, so is useless for day to day banking. Indeed, I can't think of any offshore bank that offers a debit card without requiring a high minimum balance and/or imposes a monthly fee.

I've sent debit cards to the girlfriend loads of times by normal mail.and they always get through. I usually have other presents in the package, so the card is probably less obvious, but I've never lost anything that I have sent there.