England.

redrus

What are Israel doing in the Euro championships anyway :o Are they not in the middle east somewhere? They should be in the ASEAN cup if Iran , Iraq etc are playing in that :D I suppose the away games would be interesting!

It's a good question, but as you know they are about as welcome in Middle East football as an outbreak of herpes in a brothel.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see one or two of the Russian lads have come out & said they'll try & expose our "weak link" Robinson! Is he the only one then ? :o

I would say the biggest weak link is McClown, and certainly soeone like Hiddink will be canny enough to realise the weaknesses in tactics and certain players. England should still win, but this is going to be a tough one.

England should still win

I think so too

but this is going to be a tough one.

Your'e darn right it is. I'll have been on the beer from about 8ish. It'll be tough to stay awake :o

Lucky man Mr b , I have to go to bed at about 9-10 o'clock and wake up to watch the game because when the final whistle goes I have to get a shower and then go straight to work :D:D .

No rest for the wicked eh :D .

As a fickle football fan Ive got to say that this was an impressive perfomance in which a genius manager got his selections right.

Well forced on him a bit, and only until the next defeat. Boo. :o

Quite a good performance today, the only let down was Ashley Cole when is he going to pass a ball forward all he ever does is backwards and sideways.

bet you're glad you didn't have to play Scotland tonight?!

Dunno. An undoubtedly spirited performance by Scotland with a stunning goal over a largely unexciting but competent England. I think that I'd go with England.

As long as Barry keeps out Fat Frank then we'll be ok. But Barry over Hargreaves. Anyone ?

Bye, Bye Becks. BTW (at last).

Edited by Happy Hammer

I think that I'd go with England.

That'll be why England are 3 points off the top in one of the easiest groups.

Everybody knows that the others raise their game against us...they see our scalp as bigger than an other teams !

Never mind somebody once said "everyone has 15 minutes of fame" enjoy whilst it's there

I think that I'd go with England.

That'll be why England are 3 points off the top in one of the easiest groups.

That's entirely missing the point.

McClaren has stumbled on a winning team by default where he had to field players that he wouldn't have done previously. Plus, the coming into form of Owen, his partneship with Heskey and the Gerrard - Barry partnership.

We're not talking the same abysmal England here as they were before. But a very decent looking side. Who , if they manage the plastic pitch in Russia, should qualify with relative ease.

Edited by Happy Hammer

Sorry HH, i can't agree with that. His pin point crossing and accuracy from dead ball situations is always a benefit to have IMHO

McClaren has stumbled on a winning team by default where he had to field players that he wouldn't have done previously.

But i concur 100% with that :o

Sorry HH, i can't agree with that. His pin point crossing and accuracy from dead ball situations is always a benefit to have IMHO

I agree about his crossing of the ball. But I really think that he's shot his bolt by playing in Amerca and now even Rooney may have difficulty in getting a starting place in an efficient winning side.

Blimey, who'd have though that Heskey could possibly get Rooney sidelined. :o

But what is good, that we can now begin to talk about a team - rather than just a group of individually talented prima donnas.

I agree about his crossing of the ball. But I really think that he's shot his bolt by playing in Amerca and now even Rooney may have difficulty in getting a starting place in an efficient winning side.

But what is good, that we can now begin to talk about a team - rather than just a group of individually talented prima donnas.

You've hit the nail on the head there HH, talented prima donas. Mclaren isn't the first & wont be the last manager to stumble on a winning formation & a team playing a decent way. Let's just hope he doesn't mess around with the team he has when the rest are available...let them sulk on the bench for a while and let them reflect on previous crap performances

You've hit the nail on the head there HH, talented prima donas. Mclaren isn't the first & wont be the last manager to stumble on a winning formation & a team playing a decent way. Let's just hope he doesn't mess around with the team he has when the rest are available...let them sulk on the bench for a while and let them reflect on previous crap performances

Absolutely. Last night (and saturday) they where functioning as a team and working hard for each other. About bl00dy time too :D

very impressed with englands performance, richards looks well settled at right back think gary nev will find it hard to displace him.

thought gerrard had a average game his shooting was not up to his usuall standard.

see how england perform in russia.

very impressed with englands performance, richards looks well settled at right back think gary nev will find it hard to displace him.

thought gerrard had a average game his shooting was not up to his usuall standard.

see how england perform in russia.

Pretty much agree on that. Richards is starting to look like he is going to be pretty mucha a guaranteed starter. At least Neville is looking like he will be back playing for United soo, so thats good news for us guys.

Good to see that Owen is back on the score sheet as well, which is only good for England.

Two good home results, which is great, but ones that we should win. I agree, let's see how we do in Russia, as that is going to be played ona n artificial; pitch if I am not mistaken. Going to enjoy this, maybe England might even do well in the 20:20 cricket.

Surprised by the margin of England's victory. Didn't see that coming at all.

Even still, glad that we are back to the EPL this weekend. Always enjoy watching Sunderland stuffing ... mmmmmm ... getting stuffed at home ... by someone like Reading. Quality weekends. Forget all this international nonsense.

• 4 weeks later...

From skysports:-

Mac backs Owen and Robbo

A relaxed Steve McClaren declared himself to be impressed by Michael Owen's form in training, while continuing to back his beleaguered goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

The England coach was talking at a press conference, live on Sky Sports News, and appeared confident ahead of Saturday's Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia.

Owen has made remarkable progress from a double bout of surgery and having played and scored for Newcastle at the weekend, just eight days after going under the knife, he is now firmly in McClaren's thoughts.

McClaren went on to categorically reject the suggestion that a club-versus-country row is simmering with Newcastle.

"He was very sharp. All the players did (look sharp) considering they had played (at the weekend) but I was very impressed with him," he told Sky Sports News.

"People talk of a conflict between Newcastle, Michael and ourselves. Nothing further from the truth. We liaise with the medical people at the club, Big Sam and with the player. No risk will be taken on the player but Michael is a very big player for us. And if Michael is fit then Michael will play.

"He's with England now, we'll liaise with Newcastle, but he's with England.

"We'll asses him and if he's fit, then he'll play. Ultimately we don't take risks with players. It is the players' welfare we have at heart. But he's important for England - anyone put in my position would want a fit Michael Owen playing."

Tottenham goalkeeper Robinson has endured a miserable slump in form in the past month but McClaren insists he harbours no doubts over his No.1.

"He has never let us down and Paul Robinson is in."

From skysports:-

Mac backs Owen and Robbo

A relaxed Steve McClaren declared himself to be impressed by Michael Owen's form in training, while continuing to back his beleaguered goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

The England coach was talking at a press conference, live on Sky Sports News, and appeared confident ahead of Saturday's Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia.

Owen has made remarkable progress from a double bout of surgery and having played and scored for Newcastle at the weekend, just eight days after going under the knife, he is now firmly in McClaren's thoughts.

McClaren went on to categorically reject the suggestion that a club-versus-country row is simmering with Newcastle.

"He was very sharp. All the players did (look sharp) considering they had played (at the weekend) but I was very impressed with him," he told Sky Sports News.

"People talk of a conflict between Newcastle, Michael and ourselves. Nothing further from the truth. We liaise with the medical people at the club, Big Sam and with the player. No risk will be taken on the player but Michael is a very big player for us. And if Michael is fit then Michael will play.

"He's with England now, we'll liaise with Newcastle, but he's with England.

"We'll asses him and if he's fit, then he'll play. Ultimately we don't take risks with players. It is the players' welfare we have at heart. But he's important for England - anyone put in my position would want a fit Michael Owen playing."

Tottenham goalkeeper Robinson has endured a miserable slump in form in the past month but McClaren insists he harbours no doubts over his No.1.

"He has never let us down and Paul Robinson is in."

I suppose It would be better for Robinson to have a solid game & for Owen to have a run out against Estonia rather than go in v Russia & on a dodgy plastic surface