redrus

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From skysports. Expected changes for tonight:-

Carson to replace Robbo

Wright-Phillips to get the nod over Beckham

England boss Steve McClaren is reportedly set to drop Paul Robinson and David Beckham for Wednesday's make-or-break Euro 2008 qualifier with Croatia with Scott Carson and Shaun Wright-Phillips starting.

McClaren is believed to have plumped for the inexperienced Carson to start in goal ahead of error-prone Robinson.

Carson only made his debut in last Friday's friendly win over Austria and he impressed in Vienna.

McClaren is now ready to take a gamble on the Aston Villa loanee for the game which will decide England's Euro 2008 fate with the former Middlesbrough boss revealing he had made his mind up on the goalkeeping dilemma a while ago.

"I made my mind up about the goalkeeping situation well before the players joined up on Sunday evening," said McClaren.

"I have made plenty of big decisions in the past and this is a big game when more big decisions will be made.

"It does not matter what age you are. You can be a big-game player at 18 or 33.

"Experience can be invaluable but so can the innocence of youth. There is risk in everything."

Chelsea winger Wright-Phillips is also expected to start on the right side of midfield ahead of Beckham who will drop to the bench.

McClaren is set to employ a five-man midfield with Peter Crouch playing in a lone striker role and McClaren believes Wright-Phillips' pace could prove vital.

"The last three games Shaun Wright-Phillips has played at Wembley have been very good," noted McClaren.

"He has scored a couple of goals and created chances. We have spoken about having pace on both flanks and Shaun has given us that."

I think he has done what he needed to do, by dropping Beckham and Robinson. Clearly Beckham is not match fit, and maybe he can just come on near the end if he is required. As regards Robinson, I feel sorry for him, but his confidence is down, and in a game like this, you really need your form goalkeeper. Carson is that player.

Not sure about the tactics that he's set out, but I would be concerned if England go looking just to get a point. That tactic is always risky in such a game, and if they go behind will they be able to change the way they play? Recent history would suggest that the answear is a clear cut no. Anyway, hope they get through, and in the morning the FA see sense and boot McClown out.

Edited by mrtoad

Not sure about the tactics that he'ss set out, but I would be concerned if England go looking just to get a point. Thta tactic is always risky in such a game, and if they go behind will they be able to change the way they play. Recent history would suggest that the answear is a claer cut no.

I agree, that is NEVER a good strategy.

Anywya, hope they get through, and in the morning the FA see sense and boot McClown out.

Me too :o

Is the game on terrestrial Thai TV tonight?

With it being at home I don't think they have the rights to it. It's on Starsports in Asia & I would wager it's also on Supersport.

Cheers, I'll probably set the alarm and check anyway, just to annoy the missus.

The game is on terrestrial Thai Tv waveydavey :o .

England v Croatia 3:00 am channel 7 ( thai tv ) Star Sports ( ubc ).

I think he has done what he needed to do, by dropping Beckham and Robinson. Clearly Beckham is not match fit, and maybe he can just come on near the end if he is required. As regards Robinson, I feel sorry for him, but his confidence is down, and in a game like this, you really need your form goalkeeper. Carson is that player.

There are many that would argue that Rob Green is the form goalie. But if you were to say that Carson is the form player in the squad, then that'd be less contentious and non could disagree. :D

But overall, I was pleasantly suprised that he's dropped Beckham and Robisnson

Not sure about the tactics that he's set out, but I would be concerned if England go looking just to get a point. That tactic is always risky in such a game, and if they go behind will they be able to change the way they play? Recent history would suggest that the answear is a clear cut no. Anyway, hope they get through, and in the morning the FA see sense and boot McClown out.

I can't see them going for the draw. I think that we'll probably win by a couple of goals. Just look at my position in the Prediction League to see how spot-on I usually am about results. :o

I also hope that McClaren can prove his detractors wrong. Not least because there's no one who wants the job, that I have any burning passion to see replace him.

I can't see them going for the draw. I think that we'll probably win by a couple of goals. Just look at my position in the Prediction League to see how spot-on I usually am about results. :o

HH, you and me both. :D

HH, you and me both. :D

:D:D

however, i hope you are right, as that would put us top of the league and presumably a more favourable position in the pot for the draw. :D

Is the game on terrestrial Thai TV tonight?

With it being at home I don't think they have the rights to it. It's on Starsports in Asia & I would wager it's also on Supersport.

Cheers, I'll probably set the alarm and check anyway, just to annoy the missus.

The game is on terrestrial Thai Tv waveydavey :o .

England v Croatia 3:00 am channel 7 ( thai tv ) Star Sports ( ubc ).

B#gg*r - guess which channel nobody in our village can pick up......

Thanks anyway and try to enjoy the game although that may be difficult.

I posted this in the City thread as well but it's more related to tonight's game really. It's so difficult to know where to post when you have so many international players playing for the club. :o

From the City web site:-

Sven predicts two City winners at Wembley

Sven-Goran Eriksson thinks that both City players set to feature in Wednesday's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier at Wembley will be happy at the end of the night.

Micah Richards and Vedran Corluka are certain to play when England take on Croatia needing just a point to ensure they go through to the finals in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

Croatia qualified on Saturday despite losing 2-0 to Macedonia, and England's prospects improved dramatically when Israel beat Russia 2-1 in Tel Aviv.

Sven is delighted that two young Blues are set to feature in such a high-profile match, and he says:

"Micah Richards we know all about anyway, what more can we say about him? He's fantastic, just 19 and he has a great future in football ahead of him.

"Corluka's come into the Premier League for the first time and from the very first day he played for us he has showed what a good footballer he is. He's a modern player, not an old-fashioned defender who just wants to knock up out of defence.

"He wants to play football, he certainly can do that and he's done so well for us this season."

England's situation is familiar to the Blues boss, as the national side only needed a draw against Greece to qualify for the 2002 World Cup but had to wait until David Beckham's last-minute free kick to secure their progress.

Wanting both players to end up going to next summer's tournament, the Manager smilingly concludes:

"It will be good to them both tomorrow night, but I think Corluka will lose! It won't matter for him because Croatia have qualified, but I hope that both Micah & Vedran do well."

The most expensive game in the world :D :

The British economy would lose as much as £1bn if England fail to reach Euro 2008. (The Daily Telegraph)

Yeah, thats all that tax revenue lost in bonus payouts.

Nah, that's just my bar bill :o

Yeah, I reckon that will be the bulk of it. All that Bud!! :D

The British economy would lose as much as £1bn if England fail to reach Euro 2008. (The Daily Telegraph)

Yeah, I reckon that will be the bulk of it. All that Bud!! :D

Is that Buddington's. Half Budweiser, half Boddington's :bah:

Kilkenny is that expensive now then Mr b :D:D .

Could be the Salt and Vinegar Crisps and pickled aggs that put the prices up. :o

Pickled eggs :D That's what Suvverners eat, ain't it :D

Now Pork Scratchings, that's different fodder altogether :D

Well, in my neck of thew woods it's Pasties, but then everything is North from me.

Pork Scratchings, Mrstoad loves them, couldn't stop eating them when she was in England.

Could be the Salt and Vinegar Crisps and pickled aggs that put the prices up. :o

Pickled eggs :D That's what Suvverners eat, ain't it :D

Well, in my neck of thew woods it's Pasties, but then everything is North from me.

Pork Scratchings, Mrstoad loves them, couldn't stop eating them when she was in England.

Pork Scratchings with Nam Prik Ong.

Wish I was back in Mae Hong Son to watch the game tonight.

Cheers

Could be the Salt and Vinegar Crisps and pickled aggs that put the prices up. :D

Pickled eggs :D That's what Suvverners eat, ain't it ;)

Enjoy your jing jing salt and vinegar crisps Mr b , I miss them more than I miss Match of the Day :bah: .

C'mon Enagland :bah::o:o:D:D

Could be the Salt and Vinegar Crisps and pickled aggs that put the prices up. :D

Pickled eggs :D That's what Suvverners eat, ain't it

Enjoy your jing jing salt and vinegar crisps Mr b , I miss them more than I miss Match of the Day :o .

C'mon Enagland :bah:;):o:D:D

You guys will have to give me a shopping list, for when i come back in March :bah:

Pig lips, quality....! :D

I like the one's that are crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. A part of any good calorie controlled diet :D