Now might be the time to get into gold

I could not agree more...don't forget silver which is a great value in today's market...

Paper money...is necessary for living...but the true value is in the "perceived" value of the paper money...

Gold and Silver have been around for thousands of years...are still a good value...and will not disappear like the wind when economies and countries fail...

• Like 2

Gold - no earnings, no dividends, no interest. Only the greater fool theory to generate a profit - I buy today and hope that a greater fool will buy it from me tomorrow.

I'll pass.

hmmm, maybe.. but nice to have in the portfolio when the earning, dividend-paying, interest-bearing investments go boobs-up a la 2008...

"Gold has always been a sound investment."

Especially when the value declines 35% in a couple years. How can I get on that gravy train?

You need to get on the internet and acquaint yourself with Gold and Silver investing...

Here are a few sites:

www.Kitco.com

www.caseyresearch.com/gsd

http://kingworldnews.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

http://goldseek.com/

There are numerous other...to numerous to list here

Good Luck!

Gold - no earnings, no dividends, no interest. Only the greater fool theory to generate a profit - I buy today and hope that a greater fool will buy it from me tomorrow.

I'll pass.

To a point that is true for any investment.

And with real estate you need to find a greater fool who is prepared to put himself into greater debt.......

• Like 1

"Gold has always been a sound investment."

Especially when the value declines 35% in a couple years. How can I get on that gravy train?

It went down in the early 80's, took more than 20 years to recover. I'd rather buy virgins and hope their value went up over 20 years.

• Like 2

What i really like with gold in Thailand is the ease of buying and selling...

Go to the tong shop, flash the money and walk away with jewelery or ingots of the size and shape you like.

The cost of making the jewelery is also very small compared to the ridiculous amount of money you get charged in Europe.

In France, you now must show ID to buy your Napoleons, Sovereigns or 20 dollars. The day you want to sell, there is a 10% tax whether you made a profit or not...

And if you dont live close to a big city, you might have to travel to buy or sell.

Here gold shops everywhere, buy or sell today, easy!

• Like 1

Gold has always been a sound investment. Buy it when its cheap and sell it when the price goes up, better than any interest you will get from a bank.

One thing makes "buy low & sell high harder" than it sounds is that gold's peaks tend to be very short and its "buying opportunities" lengthy. I don't think that I've ever met a goldbug who sold at $1900.

• Like 1

What i really like with gold in Thailand is the ease of buying and selling...

Go to the tong shop, flash the money and walk away with jewelery or ingots of the size and shape you like.

The cost of making the jewelery is also very small compared to the ridiculous amount of money you get charged in Europe.

In France, you now must show ID to buy your Napoleons, Sovereigns or 20 dollars. The day you want to sell, there is a 10% tax whether you made a profit or not...

And if you dont live close to a big city, you might have to travel to buy or sell.

Here gold shops everywhere, buy or sell today, easy!

I’m surprised to hear that. Kitco’s prices (in the US) today for gold bars are about $1246/oz when buying and $1225/oz when selling. How does the buy/sell spread at Thai gold shops compare to that?

I'll pass.

hmmm, maybe.. but nice to have in the portfolio when the earning, dividend-paying, interest-bearing investments go boobs-up a la 2008...

Gold got hammered in 2008 also. It came back well after that, and if you had been holding gold from 2001 until now that investment would have outperformed stocks, but 2008 was painful for goldbugs unless you had the cash and the balls to buy more after it dropped from $1000 to $700/oz.

I remember when the UK went off the gold standard and we were told that investing in gold was a thing of the past. Tell that to the Asians, they know better. Picture yourself trying to get across the Cambodian border fleeing (and this is just a 'for instance') Farang persecution and with all ATMs hacked by N. Korea. A little gold and a AK47 will get you by anywhere in the world. 10 % of your capital invested in gold if you can afford it seems very sensible to me. A year ago my credit card disappeared into an ATM, my wife pawned her gold and we got by fine until a new one arrived.

If you are looking for traditional stocks with dividends, but seeking to establish exposure to gold prices, the stocks of companies engaged in the extraction of the precious metal may be a opportunity. Gold miner stocks tend to exhibit a strong correlation to spot gold prices, and often trade as a leveraged play on the underlying commodity.

There are a number of publicly-traded gold exploration and mining companies headquartered and traded around the world. Some of the best-known companies include:

• Barrick Gold (ABX)
  • Goldcorp (GG)
  • Newmont Mining (NEM)
  • Eldorado Gold (EGO)
  • Gold Fields Limited (GFI)
  • Like 1

I remember when the UK went off the gold standard and we were told that investing in gold was a thing of the past. Tell that to the Asians, they know better. Picture yourself trying to get across the Cambodian border fleeing (and this is just a 'for instance') Farang persecution and with all ATMs hacked by N. Korea. A little gold and a AK47 will get you by anywhere in the world. 10 % of your capital invested in gold if you can afford it seems very sensible to me. A year ago my credit card disappeared into an ATM, my wife pawned her gold and we got by fine until a new one arrived.

If people in the UK thought that the end of Bretton woods marked the end of gold investing, that's rather the opposite of what was going on in the States. Before then there were restrictions on individuals in the US buying gold bullion.

But why only 10%? That sound more like an amount that a non-believer would buy as a hedge than what a goldbug would buy.

If you are looking for traditional stocks with dividends, but seeking to establish exposure to gold prices, the stocks of companies engaged in the extraction of the precious metal may be a opportunity. Gold miner stocks tend to exhibit a strong correlation to spot gold prices, and often trade as a leveraged play on the underlying commodity.

There are a number of publicly-traded gold exploration and mining companies headquartered and traded around the world. Some of the best-known companies include:

• Barrick Gold (ABX)
  • Goldcorp (GG)
  • Newmont Mining (NEM)
  • Eldorado Gold (EGO)
  • Gold Fields Limited (GFI)

Volatile investments though, and while over most periods of time they have moved in the same direction as gold, over the past 10 years miner's stocks have lost 17% while gold has risen 166%.

I see Peter Schiff has some converts on this page, poor deluded fools. Who in hell tries to catch a falling knife, wait for it to hit the floor and pick it up!

$1,600 looked nice, so did $1,400. $1,200 looks like a bargain, a grand will look like a steal.

Edited by JeremyBowskill
  • Like 1

Gold has always been a sound investment. Buy it when its cheap and sell it when the price goes up, better than any interest you will get from a bank.

I bought gold in 2010. Around the price it is now. 18,500-ish.

I sold it about 18 months later when it was about 24-25,000 ish.

It then started to drop, quite quickly getting back to the 18-19,000 it's been since.

My selling wasn't any great insight, I needed that money for something else so sold and got lucky as it fell and never recovered.

If you are going to buy gold then make sure you buy the real physical object. There is a lot of paper gold going around. People think they are buying gold and it is stored in a vault somewhere but the truth is they only have it on paper. If the world economy goes tits up and everyone tries to withdraw their gold at the same time then you may find that there is not enough to go around. A bit like when there is a run on a bank and people try to take their money out of a bank only to realise the bank don't have enough money to cover everyone.

• Like 2

If you're buying baht right now with dollars, the dollar strength makes the baht comparatively cheap and is also one of the reasons gold is cheaper both in terms of dollars and baht.

If/when the dollar trend reverses, you MIGHT have some gold that is convertible back at a higher baht price at the same time the baht has become more expensive in dollar terms.

I'm buying some gold now on price dips for that reason and also because it's almost as liquid as cash, but less convenient to "spend" than money dispensed from an ATM. Of course any meaningful gain will be in the long term. Still waiting for all the government printing presses to cause some real inflation.

Also have been buying January 2016 call options on some of the energy sector stocks, drilling companies and miners. Oil may not hit $100 plus very soon, but some sort of reversion to mean in the commodities is inevitable. Commodity prices are cyclical and anyone thinking "this time it's different" needs to look at some historical charts.

Baron Rothschild, an 18th century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."
  • Like 1

If one is willing to deal with the sheer bulk of it, silver seems like a better play for the long term, to me. First of all, the historic ratios are way, way down, to about 74/1. Even if they edge back closer

to the historic ratios, there is alot of money to be made. I hear from friends in the mining business, that the actual cost of mining silver, processing it, minting it, and getting it to market is close to $21

per ounce. Anyone have confirmation on that? Not only are silver rounds gorgeous, they are easy to trade (not quite as easy in thailand, though possible) worldwide, and are far more liquid than gold in the

event of the metals market spiking, or the world economy taking a real hit, as some of us anticipate will happen, at some point in the future. But, this is simply my opinion.

The OP article is written by an executive at a company called EyeCarePro which is dedicated to helping Optometric Practices achieve growth by attracting new patients and building engaging relationships with existing patients. Guess he's also a financial advisor and a goldbug...EyeCarePro's website even has a bunch of goldfish on its home page.