Thousands show up at wat for chance to get free iPhone

Lite Beer

What a way to get people to come and worship Buddha! Is this religious? Is this instilling religion or even practicing religion?

Sure! The leaders managed to get thousands of to come to their temple. But at what cost? The temple should be closed for sacrilege and their leaders disrobed for this farce.

Or maybe this new tactic is a sign of the times. Come practice pur religion and you will get a prize. What a joke. Now I see why my wife doesn't want to be a Buddhist except as a show for family. It is no longer a religion and instead is a lottery drawing.

Yes totally disgusting - you would never see any of the Christians or Jews doing anything this sacrilegious, like giving money or gifts to their followers...no way... the Christians and Jews TAKE THE MONEY FROM THE CONGREGATION, BUY GOLD AND KEEP IT THEMSELVES....!!!

Those who complain that this is not the right way for a religion to act, should think about the outright theft and corruption practiced by the thieving bastards that run the horrendous child-fiddling religions of the world, and who imposed life-destroying taxes on their "flock"...rightly named as a bunch of brainless sheep who think they are helping the church, when in fact it is simply BUYING THEIR GODS...

Yes, but this story isn't about that, is it?

• Like 1

Internet Research: Buddha

It is neither a religion in the sense in which that word is commonly understood, for it is not "a system of faith and worship owing any allegiance to a supernatural being."

Buddhism does not demand blind faith from its adherents. Here mere belief is dethroned and is substituted by confidence based on knowledge, which, in Pali, is known as saddha. The confidence placed by a follower on the Buddha is like that of a sick person in a noted physician, or a student in his teacher.

• Like 1

Temple hands out I-phones 6 in charity draw

10-1-2558-11-41-43-wpcf_728x413.jpg

PHITSANULOK: -- Huge crowds from many parts of the country gathered at Wat Ratchaburana temple in Phitsanulok province Friday hoping to receive I-phones which would be given away in a charity draw.

The temple earlier announced to give away five I-phone 6 smart phones among coins and banknotes amounting to 300,000 baht in a charity draw Friday.

But the influx of up to 10,000 people has forced the temple to call in police to form queue for draws for fear that it could cause stampede

There was a great amount of commotion at the temple in early hours of the day after soldiers and police had to be called in to control the more than 10,000 people who arrived there with high hope of winning the I-phones.

While most other temples typically distribute coins and other small gifts through throwing by monks to the crowd to collect on ground, the abbot at the Wat Ratchaburana temple assigned soldiers, and police to give away coins and banknotes in the form of 1 Baht, 5 Baht and 10 Baht coins as well as 20, 50, 100 and 1,000 Baht banknotes in sealed envelopes.

Furthermore, five I-Phone 6 mobile phones were also given away in a charity draw as the coins and banknotes are wrapped in small envelops and some will contain the mobile phone tickets.

The event was part of an annual religious Buddhist ceremony where nine temples in the province are visited by the Buddhist faithfuls to make merit and pay tributes.

In the past the coins were normally thrown in the throng of faithful from four different points at the Ratchaburana temple.

But due to the huge crowd this traditional practice had to be abandoned fearing stempede that could result in injuries.

Soldiers and police were seen handing out the coins to people who have been asked to queue at two entrances to the temple

Later in the day three lucky people presented their lucky tickets to claim the I-phone 6 mobile phones and after documents were checked they were given their prizes.

There was some uproar as some people in the crowd who came as far away as Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai who received only 5 and 10 Baht coins felt it was sour grapes.

All came with high hope of the luxury smart phones.

One lucky woman who asked to remain anonymous said:

“I am so happy! Yes I will be using the phone myself! I am so happy.”

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/temple-hands-phones-6-charity-draw

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-10

What a way to get people to come and worship Buddha! Is this religious? Is this instilling religion or even practicing religion?

Sure! The leaders managed to get thousands of to come to their temple. But at what cost? The temple should be closed for sacrilege and their leaders disrobed for this farce.

Or maybe this new tactic is a sign of the times. Come practice pur religion and you will get a prize. What a joke. Now I see why my wife doesn't want to be a Buddhist except as a show for family. It is no longer a religion and instead is a lottery drawing.

+1...I agree with you. Crazy for religious leaders to be acting this way.

Ha! All the pious ranting by western chauvinists who haven't been to a church service in years. Think of how many western congregations of any denomination are subsidized by Bingo Nights, raffles, auctions and "Las Vegas nights."

Churches hire professional "Fund Raisers" who come up with whatever sleazy schemes are fashionable to fleece the congregations.

Hypocritical blockheads..

Have you ever considered, that some of us don't need an "invisible friend" to get through life??

It is actually possible to survive without belonging to any congregation.................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

How can people be familiar with this country and people if they don't even understand the basics Buddhism. They don't pray or worship to Buddha or a a God. There are no rules to be part of the club and not specific behavior that makes you a Buddhist. Many don't even consider Buddhism a religion which is probably the right way to see it if your only knowledge is of religions that believe in a God, blind faith or that each believe and practice similar behavior.

• Like 1

Ha! All the pious ranting by western chauvinists who haven't been to a church service in years. Think of how many western congregations of any denomination are subsidized by Bingo Nights, raffles, auctions and "Las Vegas nights."

Churches hire professional "Fund Raisers" who come up with whatever sleazy schemes are fashionable to fleece the congregations.

Have you ever considered, that some of us don't need an "invisible friend" to get through life??

It is actually possible to survive without belonging to any congregation.................coffee1.gif

8588a78d-f814-4160-acdf-1c46d633ab66_zps

Baptist churches use gun giveaways to help people find Jesus

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/kentucky-church-gives-out-guns-find-jesus

Non-attachment, and all of that stuff. coffee1.gif

Also, thank God no one (by "no one" I mean foreigners) was doing Yoga at that temple, because it was reserved for iPhone give aways. It may have caused a commotion.

• Like 1

God favored those three people who got the phones, which means he hated everyone else there.

So is this what happens in St Peter's Square, all those people show up waiting for the pope to give away a cell phone? I guess no one is interested in a plenary indulgence anymore.

"and also to ordain Weerayut Photassa, a temple-affairs manager at Wat Ratchaburana."

who is clearly doing a superb PR job. As long as the temple income from the various superstitious rituals exceeds the cost of a few iPhones they give away, it is a win win....

Next step will be a premium rate phone-in for a chance to achieve enlightenment.....

Who was it said that religion is the opium of the people?

Edited by bangon04

Yes totally disgusting - you would never see any of the Christians or Jews doing anything this sacrilegious, like giving money or gifts to their followers...no way... the Christians and Jews TAKE THE MONEY FROM THE CONGREGATION, BUY GOLD AND KEEP IT THEMSELVES....!!!

Those who complain that this is not the right way for a religion to act, should think about the outright theft and corruption practiced by the thieving bastards that run the horrendous child-fiddling religions of the world, and who imposed life-destroying taxes on their "flock"...rightly named as a bunch of brainless sheep who think they are helping the church, when in fact it is simply BUYING THEIR GODS...

you have a good point. but name one religion that hasn't had the same type of scandals. (atheists are also guilty.) so it's not fair to pick on judaism and christianity specifically... and this article is about thai buddhism.

"and also to ordain Weerayut Photassa, a temple-affairs manager at Wat Ratchaburana."

who is clearly doing a superb PR job. As long as the temple income from the various superstitious rituals exceeds the cost of a few iPhones they give away, it is a win win....

Next step will be a premium rate phone-in for a chance to achieve enlightenment.....

Who was it said that religion is the opium of the people?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_people

"Have you ever considered, that some of us don't need an "invisible friend" to get through life??"

Given the overwhelming popularity of Internet "social media," everything from Facebook to Tinder to Grindr, I'd say that "some of us" have even more invisible friends in our lives ... which may also explain why so many farang males come to Thailand and seem totally confused when meeting women who actually have a pulse.