Massive traffic jam

MZurf

Just came back from Central. Both Beach Rd and 2nd Rd are packed with cars (looks like a good portion of the cars in Bangkok are here for Children's day). It was bad enough on a motorbike so should be avoided at all cost if driving a car. 3rd road is not too bad at the moment though.

I'd like to see some kind of free park & ride system for the bangkok brigade.

If not free then a token 5 baht for adults

Maybe by the 36 & then coached in & dropped off at the North part of Beach Rd.

Coaches then collect people leaving just before the turn at Central/Klang.

A market could be set-up at the park/ride site & rents from that could pay for the coaches.

How many coached on rotation? 10? Pick a number?

Only runs on public holidays & weekends (Sat/Sun)

In town shopping centres/malls with massive onsite parking serve no one properly.

Out of town supermarkets where people really load up their cars & pick-ups make sense.

Could there be some kind of Pattaya resident parking permit?

For my next trick I shall turn some plumbum into pure aurum

• Like 2

Would require a brain. You could also propose a traffic plan/traffic concept whistling.gif

I am waiting for the day of total gridlock when cars will be left on the streets and people have to be evacuated walking wink.png

Complete madness.

• Like 1

Yes it was total madness down town today.

My wife wanted to take the truck as black clouds were looming around but I said; no way my dear.

Thankfully we took the scooter but still not easy and it was slow going.

I have sort of hoped that the "tourist Thais" stayed away because the new year holidays ended on the 5th Jan but yet they are back already, hopefully better next weekend.

it will be impossible to enforce some kind of entering fee for non residents, they can't even manage to enforce general traffic rules here in Thailand, so keep on dreaming.

• Like 1

Would require a brain. You could also propose a traffic plan/traffic concept whistling.gif

I am waiting for the day of total gridlock when cars will be left on the streets and people have to be evacuated walking wink.png

Complete madness.

what is the concept, if you have a big fire at Central ?

There is only one way, stop all the cars from bkk, don`t let them enter the sukumvit,

they should be directed to leave the highway, to a big parking area, where shuttle-busses are bringing the drivers into town.

Edited by DisainaM
  • Like 1

And exactly where do you people propose that they build this mega parking lot for the out of town visitors ?

They don't even have enough sense to build the main bus station into Pattaya off of Sukumvit, they make all the busses turn into Nua and then do a right turn against traffic

All you can hope for is that eventually the Bangkokonians realize that coming to Pattaya is not worth the time or effort

• Like 1

And exactly where do you people propose that they build this mega parking lot for the out of town visitors ?

They don't even have enough sense to build the main bus station into Pattaya off of Sukumvit, they make all the busses turn into Nua and then do a right turn against traffic

All you can hope for is that eventually the Bangkokonians realize that coming to Pattaya is not worth the time or effort

What a beautiful dream!

I seem to recall about ten years ago they did run an experiment with shuttle buses. Not for specific holiday periods and not forcing people to use them, but as an alternative to song taeows or driving yourself. All that accomplished was to add empty buses to the traffic congestion.

Not a resounding success. You can lead a tourist to transport, but you can't make him climb on board.

Pattaya City has introduced a new air-conditioned bus service with scheduled stops along designated routes. This bus service is esigned to help tourists get around the resort city, the Pattaya beach bus service consists of three lines - Green, Red and Yellow. These cover the main streets of Pattaya, Naklua and Jomtien respectively

Each line has been assigned a different colour to make it easier for passengers to identify the routes. Bus stops are also colour coded and numbered so passengers know where to board and disembark.

Future plans include the addition of facilities for wheelchairs to assist handicapped persons, and the introduction of open-deck tourist buses for sightseeing in 2006.

http://www.mypattaya.com/117beachbus.asp

beachbus.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I think the Thais as all other nationalities traveling by car prefer to be able to drive straight to their booked hotels and use the car to get around in.

As others already mentioned, we can only hope they get feed up with the traffic jams and stay away.

More and more cars congest the roads every year like the rest of the world, a car or motor bike is the ultimative feel of freedom for many, started in the US/EU about 100 years ago.

Perhaps in maybe 30 years from now we will have polluting free cars that you don't even have to drive yourself, you just tell the car where you want to go and it will drive you safely there and you can enjoy the sights and relax.

Don't worry......as soon as construction on the Sukhumvit tunnel starts, problems will be solved..........won't they?

BTW........they are constructing something on the Pattaya Klaang - Sukhumvit T-junction..........anyone any idea what's going on? Preparations for the tunnel-building-activities? coffee1.gif

I live by the lake and make 1 trip - sometimes 2 - a week into Pattaya. One in the car for the weekly shopping and maybe another, well planned one on the bike, to whiz round to pay bills etc. I try to be in and out before 11am.

I know it's stating the obvious but my local radio refers to Pattaya as 'fun city". To me, it's nightmare city. Double parkers on Klang are my most hated culprits. Such lazy 'so.s"

I'm with those who anticipate total gridlock one day. rolleyes.gif

I think many of these people own homes or condos here. My building' s parking lot fills on weekends year round. I know back home the well off people who head to the lake country on the weekend would never consider park and rides when dining out there. Could not see it happening in the Hamptons either.

I just dont see ANY sign of forward planning in Pattaya - whatever they get paid for at City Hall, it's not to look for ways to address the city's worsening traffic problems. As a pedestrian most of the time, what really gets to me are the antics of many motorbike riders when they find themselves in gridlocked traffic - it really is every man, woman and child for themselves on Pattaya roads.