‘Mafia island’: From paradise to bloodshed

Lite Beer

K Samui is a mafia controlled island - who in turn are under the wing of Suratthani's mafia. They have a totally different mind-set to the K Tao animals though. Sure there's been a couple of murders over the decades but mostly it's a safe place where the mafia understand that apart from coconuts, tourism is it's biggest income stream and they do try to protect that income stream, as opposed to murdering it. Most tourists, if not all, don't even know there's a mafia there.

Being a Newbie I am planning to start exploring Thailand at weekends.... I'll be travelling alone.... are all of the islands as dodgy as Koh Tao appears to be??

Although this may have some truth to it for people of independent means, many travelers are just about to start, or have just finished, university. I can't imagine many parents paying for their darlings to visit this place. There are also a myriad of other pressures parents might bring to bear to dissuade their children.

I don't consider myself typical, but I have never, nor never will, set foot on Phuket for reason of all the terrible stories I keep hearing.

This won't slow down tourism there.

How many check for sinister news stories when booking a ticket?

K Samui is a mafia controlled island - who in turn are under the wing of Suratthani's mafia. They have a totally different mind-set to the K Tao animals though. Sure there's been a couple of murders over the decades but mostly it's a safe place where the mafia understand that apart from coconuts, tourism is it's biggest income stream and they do try to protect that income stream, as opposed to murdering it. Most tourists, if not all, don't even know there's a mafia there.

Being a Newbie I am planning to start exploring Thailand at weekends.... I'll be travelling alone.... are all of the islands as dodgy as Koh Tao appears to be??

No not if you stick to the less known ones and there's plenty of them.Ones that are sparsely populated do not attract mafia types and low life there's simply not enough money to be made.Same goes for towns along the ocean front.

• Like 1

To get stats then its worked out by capita, perhaps you did'nt know that well you do now, its like comparing deaths in Phuket to Koh Tao, unless you take into account resident numbers then its not a reliable indication

Wrong again, statistics on tourist deaths are calculated on the number of tourists that actual visit that particular place, not on the number of residents.

But hey, why let get facts in the way of a good conspiracy.

hit the mafia where it hurts the most, (in the pocket) avoid the place and give it back to the fishermen

Not sure if you are serious... but here goes. Commercial fishing, as with the taxi industry is mafia run. Commercial fisherman are renowned to be smacked up, methed upped balls of evil waiting to explode.... they are a very very dangerous group to deal with. They are also are highly responsible for much of the ecological damage in all the seas surrounding Thailand. So, we could probably come up with a marginally better solution if we think about it for more than say, 3 nano-seconds, (which is the mandatory thinking time required by Thai law for such things.)

• Like 1

Koh tao is a beautyful place with 1 mio visitor coming every year with in total 12 fatality in 2014 incl accident and homocuid and suicide

So do the math that nothing

On the phollipones on 2014 more than 300 tourist lost their live just in manila not the 7000 islands with ransome kidnapping incl

Koh Tao population of around 1,600 Thai's and according to you 12 fatalities, now do the Maths rather than comparing such a tiny island and population with the Philippines population of 98 million

He is using the tourist population as part of the population. Allow me to quote Benjamin Disraeli: there are Lies, Damned lies and Statistics.

First agree if your population figures are going to be based on (1) resident only, (2) Total local and tourist population (who will never be there all at the same time sleeping 20 to a bed.) or (3) the average total population of the Island over whole year including tourists, averaged over all seasons.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Kevin, i've been here 5 years now, and othere member's much longer than me.

To answer your question, do some home work before going to ANY of the island's

especially ALONE!

I can't and wont say all the island's are as bad as Koh Tao,

but, be very aware that you will be on a island, and only one way out.

Thing's happen here to us non thai's on a daily basis.

And be aware the police most likely will be in on what thing's that could

happen to you.

Travel safely, and informed.

The ones in Surat Thani province are. Of course Phukett is another dodgy place as well.

Many places around the world will have death people on their holiday

Things happen everywhere cologne moskwa new york rio tokyo bangkok jakarta

Most of the cities you mention have populations of 10 to 30 Million and you compare it to a small tropical Island - get a life.

hit the mafia where it hurts the most, (in the pocket) avoid the place and give it back to the fishermen

The problem is that tourists will just start going to one of the other islands and the mafia will follow. To be honest, the mafia are not the problem, it's the scum that work the rackets who are just village idiots that think because they're on the payroll they are members of the main gang. Truth is the heads are well educated, and wealthy and wouldn't even spare a gob of spit to put one of those idiots out if they were on fire. If I advise friends coming to Thailand I always tell them to avoid the main tourist areas, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khonkaen are all okay. If you go to almost any of the islands, or Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin and wind up either in prison, seriously assaulted or dead don't say you weren't warned.

I've seen farangs really pushing their luck with Thais, farangs think that their size intimidates people and they use it. However, these skinny Thai's are a hundred times stronger than they appear, they are raised killing animals, they aren't at all squeamish about slotting animals or people. They know that if they kill you they'll have to organize a whip round to pay off the Police. Also, a lot of farang don't know that fighting is not a criminal offense in Los, it's a civil offense and usually requires a small payment of 500 baht at the Police station. So the extremely frequent 'kicking a farang's head in' doesn't make it into crime statistics, because it isn't actually a crime.

Def curious and interested, why is Cmai NOT mafia run as its crawling with gullible tourist, esp the

adventurous, but clueless, chinese girls, many of whom ive helped out in the past......ive spent time

all over LOS and wondered about this...having been to all the destinations you have mentioned.

As far as the fighting ive been tricked and jumped and all of the above, many close calls indeed,

but certainly dont pick fights but will stand up for myself as im aware no one has my back....so

im curious if im in a fight does the 500 bt fine apply to me if im defending myself, or do i already

know the answer..thai 4 thai=im not thai...i have been eyeing up a nice baton--100 bt--security

Lastly how are you privy to this info?..are you the farang--or the thai?...or maybe married into it?

Hi Kevin, I've not been to all the islands so I don't know but I would think not. I lived on Samui for quite a few years and one of the 5 families (mafias) I kind of know very well personally. There is a lot goes on there but Thai to Thai and will never impact you. Any grief with tourists is normally with other tourists but that's pretty much like anywhere else. Great place though. Phuket I've lived there for 5 or 6 years, I never had any problems at all although you do read a lot about stuff. I would not personally go back to K Tao, not for any reason other than I don't want anybody there profiting one baht out of me! Koh Lanta is a fantastic place and very quiet as far as all that mafia stuff goes! Just go and enjoy yourself and stay away from ladyboys (nothing implied) as they're the most evil fekkers' on Phuket anyway!

Lastly, are the locals so in fear that they wouldnt call out one of thier own?

If i lived there, had a family/kids and ran a business and this news is all over..

What ever happened to a anonymous call?...post it online...send it to the news?

In this gossipy country everything is known..1000 eyes on me everyday here....

I letter can be mailed--pics---email--sms---i just dont get it....why not move--or is it

that i already know..the hive mentality--thai for thai---one long bloodline--just farangs--meh

So if the locals know..let them enjoy the karma effect--which i hope exists

Som nam naa.....

coffee1.gif Mafia-shmafia....what has any of this have to do with organized crime? Bullwhistling.gif

Try to do your homework and use your brain!!

Why do you think law-enforcement needed to produce two scapegoats?

Who do you think, they are protecting?

What do you think the drug-selling franchise is worth yearly?

Where do you think, the money is going?

You will find that most of the problems anywhere start in bars with excess drinking and arguments, don't get particularly pally with anyone and don't get besotted with a young lady.

Don't drink or certainly not to the stage of drunkenness, if you do drink be careful what you drink (drinks have been known to be spiked), don't get into arguments and fights, be polite and smile then you should be OK.

However saying that you should also do your home work on where you want to go and learn a few basic words and phrases in Thai, for you can never rely on English being spoken, particularly outside of tourist centers.

Try places that are outside the tourist traps, Issan is a great place to explore with friendly people as are the National Parks particularly the smaller one that don't see many people.

Enjoy, Thailand is a great country.

• Like 1

I gotta agree, its the same in Phuket, u dont hear about the bashings murders and suspect suicides at all in the media, its just on here that u hear about it....the problem is, it happens everyday!

This won't slow down tourism there.

How many check for sinister news stories when booking a ticket?

You're kidding, right?

Nope.

The only reason I know is from being a member here. How did you find out?

Stories like this don't even make the news in most countries.

Plenty of murders happen in Thailand, it's not these things that stop tourists. You stop and think to keep your wits about you perhaps, but still holiday there.

Let's see how tourist numbers drop from this particular case.

To get stats then its worked out by capita, perhaps you did'nt know that well you do now, its like comparing deaths in Phuket to Koh Tao, unless you take into account resident numbers then its not a reliable indication

Wrong again, statistics on tourist deaths are calculated on the number of tourists that actual visit that particular place, not on the number of residents.

Its a conspiracy theory right? yep anything you disagree with appears to be a conspiracy but carry on

They should be called the mafia islands. This is old news. The Full Moon Party goons continue to support the local mafia. But hey in the end do you think anyone really cares as long as they can PARTY ! Samui is covered in mafia both foreign and Thai. My advice is just avoid the place or any other tourist trap i have for years. Guess what ? No problems. Life is good.

My Son's have just returned from Koh Tao with friends and said it was a beautiful Island and the people lovely. They loved it I was a bit worried after what happened to the young British couple.They had nothing but friendliness from the local. It is very sad if this is true about Mafia the press it is getting is going to chase people away sadly.

You are a brave man to let your sons travel to that island. Don't you know that everybody is murdered on that island? No natural deaths for the past decade I guess, no suicides, no accidents, only murders.

At least that is what I read here on Thaivisa coffee1.gif

OMG! This guy has some common sense. Thailand would,nt be Thailand if you were not drunk 24/7. The majority of problems are caused by the foreigners themselves . Not taking responsibility for your own stupid actions.

You will find that most of the problems anywhere start in bars with excess drinking and arguments, don't get particularly pally with anyone and don't get besotted with a young lady.

Don't drink or certainly not to the stage of drunkenness, if you do drink be careful what you drink (drinks have been known to be spiked), don't get into arguments and fights, be polite and smile then you should be OK.

However saying that you should also do your home work on where you want to go and learn a few basic words and phrases in Thai, for you can never rely on English being spoken, particularly outside of tourist centers.

Try places that are outside the tourist traps, Issan is a great place to explore with friendly people as are the National Parks particularly the smaller one that don't see many people.

Enjoy, Thailand is a great country.

• Like 1

Before you start to ridicule other posters, please get your own facts straight!!

Koh Tao doesn't have 1 million visitors a year as claimed by you, but 100.000 !!

So please do your numbers again, and report back here!! (A little red in the face hopefully)

Koh tao is a beautyful place with 1 mio visitor coming every year with in total 12 fatality in 2014 incl accident and homocuid and suicide

So do the math that nothing

On the phollipones on 2014 more than 300 tourist lost their live just in manila not the 7000 islands with ransome kidnapping incl

Koh Tao population of around 1,600 Thai's and according to you 12 fatalities, now do the Maths rather than comparing such a tiny island and population with the Philippines population of 98 million

You really specialize in twisting someones words to make your boat float, don't you.

Let me spell it out for you.

Khoh Tao has 1.000.000 visitors a year, not 1600.

12 people died.

Manila has 300 tourist deaths a year, not the whole of Philippines.

300/12 x 1.000.000 = 25.000.000

Do 25.000.000 People visit Manila alone each year?

Nonsense! There is no way that 3000 people per day visit koh tao! You are dreaming or employed by TAT. Koh Tao does not have the resources, there are not enough rooms for 1 million visitors per year. Samui barely gets that

Before you start to ridicule other posters, please get your own facts straight!!

Koh Tao doesn't have 1 million visitors a year as claimed by you, but 100.000 !!

So please do your numbers again, and report back here!! (A little red in the face hopefully)

100.000 visitors a year on Koh Tao cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I am always interested to read the comments here especially about what is going on in KhonTao, and probably other places. Diverse opinions are a good and healthy thing. It's called freedom of speech.

I have only been here 9 months but I was warned before I came ( by Thai friends in the UK)... 'There are families that own the police' , .....'stay away from the islands and if you go never be out late at night' I thought it was exaggeration but there appears to be an element of truth in what they said.

But the reality is that Thailands image as the paradise land is gone now. People here can comment... who checks safety when you book a holiday , but they don't need to check...it's been all over the papers.

For what, is after all a very beautiful place to live, to regain some semblance of trust from the people they so heavily rely in for income, tourists, then they must address the real problems.

And while the powers that be are spending so much time pursuing Yingluck, who is now not a threat to them, they should be after the ones that are the threat. Pursue them and pursue them hard, and any found to be taking bribes, offering bribes, assisting them, or providing alibis then it's prison. No soft sentences, no cushy paid in advance detention, in with the criminals, because that's what they are. Criminals.

I think the authorities believe that the average Thai doesn't understand about DNA processing, time frames etc...and maybe some don't, but there are a lot here that do, Thais and foreigners. DNA checked and returned in 24 hours to satisfy someone who is obviously pulling strings? It doesn't and cannot happen. They are making themselves look 1) stupid and 2) corrupt.

Do they not see this. Surely they can't be that stupid?

Or is it that they think they are untouchable?

Has anyone in authority here got the balls to sort it out and act or is it so entrenched it goes too far up the money chain.

• Like 1