‘Mafia island’: From paradise to bloodshed

Lite Beer

What's all the fuss? We all know that this will be covered up just like the last murders. There is no rule of law against the rich and powerful.

I still don't think this was a murder.

I disagree, murderers would have made him write the suicide note, a very short one I may add. The Swiss dive master that went snorkelling and washed up with shoes on is another question mark that needs investigating he was an experienced diver.

• Like 1

What's all the fuss? We all know that this will be covered up just like the last murders. There is no rule of law against the rich and powerful.

Rich and powerful are what you give them...deprive them of this through active and/or passive resistance...people for too long have let these scumbags rule according to law..THEIR laws that they have created to protect their lying, thieving ways..wake-up and end it. IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

• Like 1

This is good material for TAT.

"Visit Koh Tao......The Mafia is waiting to greet you"

Selective memory again Costas??

Your darling General rewarded the local police-force for their excellent job, so I presume, there is no mafia left?

Or is the General to busy playing with his puppet, so crime fighting have to wait....................coffee1.gif

Selective memory...

The local police force were unfortunately 'rewarded' based on the information provided initially, before this (justified) controversy developed.

• Like 1

My Son's have just returned from Koh Tao with friends and said it was a beautiful Island and the people lovely. They loved it I was a bit worried after what happened to the young British couple.They had nothing but friendliness from the local. It is very sad if this is true about Mafia the press it is getting is going to chase people away sadly.

1. I don't believe you, are you having business in Koh Tao?

2. If your story is true - just get informed - check the internet

Its just never going to go away all.

Do the authorities still think that anyone, here or abroad following events, believes these two Burmese boys are guilty?

Do the authorities really still think that all these suspicious deaths will all be forgotten about in the era of social media?

I doubt Koh Tao will ever recover to anything near approaching the tourist revenues of the past. Its reputation appears, from what i keep reading, to be shattered for good. Such a shame because its such a beautiful island.

Dream on. We humans are very fickle really. No one who wants to go there will be put off. People never think things will happen to them.

I know several Brits who've been there for a holiday since the double murders. Horrified yes, but not enough to change their plans.

The French guys suicide looks iffy - tied hands is a tad difficult like that and a note written in English? And what happened to Sam Austin from Bristol - reported to have died their and then complete media silence.

People should think carefully before they go there - but many won't or simply will go anyway.

The cash will keep rolling in and greasing the wheels.

• Like 1

My Son's have just returned from Koh Tao with friends and said it was a beautiful Island and the people lovely. They loved it I was a bit worried after what happened to the young British couple.They had nothing but friendliness from the local. It is very sad if this is true about Mafia the press it is getting is going to chase people away sadly.

They should not have gone there.......their visit, simply endorses the criminal activity on this island..........obviously they have no concience...shame on them!!

Then why are you here? Endorsing a country where corruption is rife in all levels of society?

And presumably you won't be going to China, India, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, and anywhere on the African continent or South America then?

To get stats then its worked out by capita, perhaps you did'nt know that well you do now, its like comparing deaths in Phuket to Koh Tao, unless you take into account resident numbers then its not a reliable indication

Wrong again, statistics on tourist deaths are calculated on the number of tourists that actual visit that particular place, not on the number of residents.

But hey, why let get facts in the way of a good conspiracy.

Before you start to ridicule other posters, please get your own facts straight!!

Koh Tao doesn't have 1 million visitors a year as claimed by you, but 100.000 !!

So please do your numbers again, and report back here!! (A little red in the face hopefully)

They're not even his numbers! I love watching people argue their, or someone else's, point with made up figures!

He's arguing with FrankJos' numbers, which are dubious at best. Koh Tao had 141,000 visitors in 2006 (there would have to have been a 609% increase since those numbers to be over 1m now); the "2014 more than 300 tourist lost their live just in manila" appears completely made up.

100.000 visitors a year on Koh Tao cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Care to show any figures that refute this? And, while you're at it, how about sourcing FrankJos' 300 visitor deaths figure? You know, seeing as though you're using it in your argument...

Edited by jamesbrock

There are a lot of places in Europe run by the mafia.

Talk to the wrong girl in Bulgaria and you'll be beaten to within an inch of your life. Get in a taxi and they'll take to into the wilderness before stealing your hotel key and ramsacking the place before you get back. The police will steal expensive watches straight from your wrist.

In Cyprus you'll get stood up at gun point while at a cash machine. They'll change you £100 for 1 drink in a bar and march to to the cash machine to pay out. The taxis will take you to a strange place where you'll be beaten and robbed.

Thailand isn't so bad, Samui is fine and I've also never had any problems on Koh Tao. I heard KP was the most dangerous place in Thailand years ago, but walked about at night freely there even on deserted beaches. I've feel asleep outside more times than in my bed on Phi Phi and I didn't see any problems in Phuket.

The truth is, if you're a d1ck and you frequent all the wrong places you'll probably run into trouble eventually. I did numerous times in Edinburgh and it's just the way it goes. There is a dark side to every country (or area) and it can easily be avoided.

Let's say this French guy did not commit suicide - do you really think a few drunk Thai guys were walking past his room one night and decide to hang him from a rope? I didn't think so.

I still don't think this was a murder.

I disagree, murderers would have made him write the suicide note, a very short one I may add. The Swiss dive master that went snorkelling and washed up with shoes on is another question mark that needs investigating he was an experienced diver.

I still think this was a suicide and that drowning was an accident. Any death there now is being deemed a murder simply by association with what went before.

It's like if a double murder happened in any town, anywhere in any country, every other death is now suspected to be murder. It's getting ridiculous. Although that said, the other British chap who died earlier in the year, that's suspicious.

That real justice in the double murder is being perverted is a whole different matter.

• Like 1

No matter what you do, how much you scream, at the end of the day...it wont be heard at koh Tao.

havent you realize that by now????

So according to you, we should just sit back, enjoy our beer and pretend it never happened?

Without social media the 2 scapegoats would be dead by now!!

Enjoy your ignorant life!!

• Like 1

When this story came to light, they mentioned that his hands were tied behind his back. Nobody commits suicide with hands tied behind the back.

It is clear, even to a five year old that it was not suicide. Just another sl@t, who mistakenly thinks that he's big and bad, but in reality he's not even big enough to take responsibility for his actions. In this case, murdering a tourist.

Koh Tao is no more dangerous than any other tourist crap hole in Thailand. No common sense, drunk, just plain stupid or a dick or bitch sooner or later you will have a problem. It is only a matter of time. Foreigners here both tourist and expat are their own worst enemies . They tend to attract trouble like flies on crap. After all these years avoiding the tourist crap holes like Koh Tao, the FMP ,Samui, Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Chang, Hua Hin, Khao San Road, Chiang Mai or anywhere listed in the lovely Lonely Planet and i have not had a single problem ever.

To get stats then its worked out by capita, perhaps you did'nt know that well you do now, its like comparing deaths in Phuket to Koh Tao, unless you take into account resident numbers then its not a reliable indication

Wrong again, statistics on tourist deaths are calculated on the number of tourists that actual visit that particular place, not on the number of residents.

Before you start to ridicule other posters, please get your own facts straight!!

Koh Tao doesn't have 1 million visitors a year as claimed by you, but 100.000 !!

So please do your numbers again, and report back here!! (A little red in the face hopefully)

Before you wet yourself you must be very confident of the I million tourists per year in Koh Tao can you give a reference? I notice the 2013 figures for Samui is 1.5 million

Edited by thailandchilli

Why all this speculation? Did you not read the "Samui Times" this week? It told us "Relatives of a French tourist who hanged himself did not doubt the nature of his death, Surat Thani police said." Interesting facts are reported in the Samui Times, like this week they tell us that Thailand has the world's "longest single-span suspension bridge". ;-0

Why all this speculation? Did you not read the "Samui Times" this week? It told us "Relatives of a French tourist who hanged himself did not doubt the nature of his death, Surat Thani police said." Interesting facts are reported in the Samui Times, like this week they tell us that Thailand has the world's "longest single-span suspension bridge". ;-0

mmmm Surat Thani police said

• Like 1

They're not even his numbers! I love watching people argue their, or someone else's, point with made up figures!

He's arguing with FrankJos' numbers, which are dubious at best. Koh Tao had 141,000 visitors in 2006 (there would have to have been a 609% increase since those numbers to be over 1m now); the "2014 more than 300 tourist lost their live just in manila" appears completely made up.

Care to show any figures that refute this? And, while you're at it, how about sourcing FrankJos' 300 visitor deaths figure? You know, seeing as though you're using it in your argument...

Come on guys, allow me to make a fool of myself in this thread, you have usurped that privilege for yourselves for 4 months now in every Koh Tao thread.laugh.png

• Like 1

Koh Tao is no more dangerous than any other tourist crap hole in Thailand. No common sense, drunk, just plain stupid or a dick or bitch sooner or later you will have a problem. It is only a matter of time. Foreigners here both tourist and expat are their own worst enemies . They tend to attract trouble like flies on crap. After all these years avoiding the tourist crap holes like Koh Tao, the FMP ,Samui, Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Chang, Hua Hin, Khao San Road, Chiang Mai or anywhere listed in the lovely Lonely Planet and i have not had a single problem ever.

True, even for my front patio. I had a British bloke come round all drunk and abusive years ago and he soon met with the floor.

• Like 1

There is a simple solution to all the problems in Koh Tao.

Do not go there.

I feel sorry for the young couple that died there. Unfortunately i do not feel the same way for the other gentleman.

I lived in dangerous countries before and traveled in large metropolitan cities with heavy crime rates.

If there was a report of problems it was simply common sense to stay the hell away.

The same as how many people here would go on vacation to yala or the deep south.

Sorry but i think that there is a solution and that is for companies in the rest of the world refusing to book in these areas and backpackers spread the word.

Its just never going to go away all.

Do the authorities still think that anyone, here or abroad following events, believes these two Burmese boys are guilty?

Do the authorities really still think that all these suspicious deaths will all be forgotten about in the era of social media?

I doubt Koh Tao will ever recover to anything near approaching the tourist revenues of the past. Its reputation appears, from what i keep reading, to be shattered for good. Such a shame because its such a beautiful island.

Dream on. We humans are very fickle really. No one who wants to go there will be put off. People never think things will happen to them.

I know several Brits who've been there for a holiday since the double murders. Horrified yes, but not enough to change their plans.

The French guys suicide looks iffy - tied hands is a tad difficult like that and a note written in English? And what happened to Sam Austin from Bristol - reported to have died their and then complete media silence.

People should think carefully before they go there - but many won't or simply will go anyway.

The cash will keep rolling in and greasing the wheels.

The hands were tied loosely together, the note was in French...

mmmm Surat Thani police said

"The embassy has said relatives did not doubt his death after they were explained of the investigation procedure of the Thai police and the autopsy result."

Now the French government is also into the cover up of crimes in Koh Tao?

• Like 2