Anyone know if air pistols ok or not?

Kenny202

Seen some of these at the markets. Some u put gas into like a lighter and some you put the little soda canisters in. Quite expensive but I don't mind paying the money if they will last. Do they pack enough punch to rid me of stray chickens and soi dogs?

I am getting one for two things ,one the cats that keep coming into our gardens ,this sets off the dogs next door .both sides ,and for the pidgeons that shit all over the house.,i dont want to kill the cats ,just sting them enough to keep away

• Like 2

Airguns come under an ambiguous ruling where it is up to the Police if you can own one or not. There isn't a license that I know of specifically for airguns other than a firearms license. Many people have been fined heavily for owning them. Modern air rifles are very powerful and can kill a human.

The guns I believe you are talking about are BB pistols. Some of them are quite powerful too. Again there is no official stance on them either.

If you want one make sure your wife is taking care of it and not you. Don't flash it around and shoot people's animals or you will get heavily fined and possibly spend a night behind bars.

There are air rifles, BB guns and airsoft guns.

The latter ones are allowed in Thailand without license, the first two require a license.

These days you can buy airsoft guns from companies abroad who officially import them to Thailand.

Anthony5, on 12 Jan 2015 - 10:03, said:
ATF, on 12 Jan 2015 - 09:58, said:

Airguns come under an ambiguous ruling where it is up to the Police if you can own one or not. There isn't a license that I know of specifically for airguns other than a firearms license. Many people have been fined heavily for owning them. Modern air rifles are very powerful and can kill a human.

The guns I believe you are talking about are BB pistols. Some of them are quite powerful too. Again there is no official stance on them either.

If you want one make sure your wife is taking care of it and not you. Don't flash it around and shoot people's animals or you will get heavily fined and possibly spend a night behind bars.

The latter ones are allowed in Thailand without license, the first two require a license.

These days you can buy airsoft guns from companies abroad who officially import them to Thailand.

I really don't know anything about airsoft guns but I know a few people that have got into serious trouble with airguns smile.png

• Like 1

I really don't know anything about airsoft guns but I know a few people that have got into serious trouble with airguns smile.png

What you are talking about are probably air rifles, which use metal pellets or metal balls.

Airsoft guns use small plastic balls.

I got a co2 bb gun which fires plastic or metal balls. Has the soda type gas canister and looks like a colt SS revolver

CO2 guns are illegal, green gas is legal.

Guns that shoot plastic balls are legal, however the same gun can shoot also metal balls which actually will damage the barrel though, and which renders them illegal

Pls expand on that atf

• Like 1

kannot, on 12 Jan 2015 - 11:53, said:
ATF, on 12 Jan 2015 - 10:09, said:

Pls expand on that atf

As far as I know there is no airgun license, so they could only be legally covered by a firearms license but I have heard reports that you can inform your local Police Station that you want to buy one and they have authority to give you or rather your wife permission. It's a grey area because I understand under Thai Law a firearm is classed as a means of firing a projectile. It doesn't specify what the propellant e.g. gunpowder or air is.

One example is an acquaintance of mine was locked up over the weekend after his neighbors reported him shooting pigeons in his garden, they thought he had a real gun and he was fined around 50k Baht on the Monday morning in court and his air-rifle confiscated.

• Like 2

Crossbow is better and more fun too.

I made one using elastic bands, which fired small bamboo kebab sticks with a piece of beer-can aluminium for a flight. Accurate (i.e. beer can target) upto about 25m and still has some penetrating punch at 50m....smile.png

• Like 2

kannot, on 12 Jan 2015 - 11:53, said:
ATF, on 12 Jan 2015 - 10:09, said:

Pls expand on that atf

As far as I know there is no airgun license, so they could only be legally covered by a firearms license but I have heard reports that you can inform your local Police Station that you want to buy one and they have authority to give you or rather your wife permission. It's a grey area because I understand under Thai Law a firearm is classed as a means of firing a projectile. It doesn't specify what the propellant e.g. gunpowder or air is.

One example is an acquaintance of mine was locked up over the weekend after his neighbors reported him shooting pigeons in his garden, they thought he had a real gun and he was fined around 50k Baht on the Monday morning in court and his air-rifle confiscated.

+ 1 and100%.. like ATF has stated apart from the internal cocking style replicas, to my knowledge all other gas powered air soft guns or air rifles require a firearms license. I have also have friends face similar fates a couple did a bit of nick the others faced fines. Much like the readily available selection of knives, swords, knuckle dusters, tasers and other various weapons, quite easy to purchase but quite another to be caught with them in a compromising situation. This is Thailand and what constitutes as legal has a lot more to do with the officer that finds you "in possession" of said weapon than due process. Not unlike old mate a couple of weeks ago who got nicked with a 0.5 gm of pot and a "knife" collection. Guess what? All his steak and kitchen knives ended up on the table with the local plod giving him the point of shame. Now to be honest if it is for personal use on your own land then your a very good chance of never getting caught but if like ATF says if a neighbour complains ( and lets be serious you are talking about shooting your neighbours animals) then you could could be facing at least a hefty on the spot fine and if you can't sort it out on the spot maybe a coupla days in boob till you can.

• Like 1

This is from a post from 2012 showing what the airsoft community regard as guidelines for BB's/airsoft guns

From http://thailandairsoft.com/ (Link shows "Site Down")

Thai Law as it stands today:

Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:

The gun hasn’t been modified to use CO2.

Only plastic bullets are used.

no metal bullets or marbles may be fired.

When carrying the gun outside of the owner’s property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.

The gun can’t be used to commit a crime or torture animals.

The gun becomes illegal if any of these rules are broken.

Please note that the gun cannot be modified and cannot be used to torture animals (this would of course include soi dogs and chickens)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/599216-legalities-of-owning-using-an-air-gun-in-thailand/?p=5862927

Edit: I have two airsofts based on Glock 23C's which have full auto function. Just to be safe, i have a membership card with a local airsoft club. Don't think this is necessary, but i got it anyway.

A lot of conflicting info here and in other threads. Does this mean that a manufactured co2 air pistol is ok but a spring loaded spring pistol converted to co2 is not?

If there is no clear law (and the air soft club is not the law), surely in the first instance it's up to the officer concerned and in the 2nd up to the court if it went that far

• Like 1

Having just come in from outside and removed my scuffs to stand in a pile of chicken sh/t I must invest in one BIL who lives next door had about 35 chickens at the start of last week but has now just hatched another 20 all they feed them is a small serve of rice each morning and they have to scavenge all day so maybe I will buy one each of these guns and maybe a slingshot and say goodbye to the crap!!!!!

I have 6 dogs on my soi, three of them attack my dog two time already, so I get this one to protect me and my dog.

I only have to use it two time on the bad dogs, now I only have to show my self and they run like heck :-)

If you want to use a gun, you must be very close, with the rifle, I hit the target of 164 foot Easy

post-78610-0-44244700-1421061979_thumb.j

Edited by hellstens
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is from a post from 2012 showing what the airsoft community regard as guidelines for BB's/airsoft guns

From http://thailandairsoft.com/ (Link shows "Site Down")

Thai Law as it stands today:

Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:

The gun hasn’t been modified to use CO2.

Only plastic bullets are used.

no metal bullets or marbles may be fired.

When carrying the gun outside of the owner’s property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.

The gun can’t be used to commit a crime or torture animals.

The gun becomes illegal if any of these rules are broken.

Please note that the gun cannot be modified and cannot be used to torture animals (this would of course include soi dogs and chickens)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/599216-legalities-of-owning-using-an-air-gun-in-thailand/?p=5862927

Edit: I have two airsofts based on Glock 23C's which have full auto function. Just to be safe, i have a membership card with a local airsoft club. Don't think this is necessary, but i got it anyway.

A lot of conflicting info here and in other threads. Does this mean that a manufactured co2 air pistol is ok but a spring loaded spring pistol converted to co2 is not?
If there is no clear law (and the air soft club is not the law), surely in the first instance it's up to the officer concerned and in the 2nd up to the court if it went that far

I'm guessing here, but this is how i understand it:

If you modify a spring loaded pistol (not sure if you can convert to CO2?) by changing the spring to a heavier pull, then that is illegal.

There is a difference between weapons using CO2 and 'green' gasses. On a CO2 weapon, the pressure (PSI) can be increased in the reservoir to release the projectile at a greater muzzle velocity. Change the plastic pellet to a metal one and you have a potentially lethal weapon. With the 'green gasses (canister), you can't do this. (?)

I am not sure if the airsoft clubs are registered, but there are an awful lot of them throughout Thailand so i would imagine they may be. If you have ever seen them playing (i have never taken part in a 'battle') you would need to do a double take because of the equipment on display and the protective kit that they were. Even though they are only light pellets they use, they sting if you aren't protected! But, as i said earlier, i don't think it is necessary to register with them, i only did this because i know some Thai's that 'play' every weekend not far from me.

I believe the interpretation of the rules comes from somewhere in the Thai gun laws (but don't know where they are) otherwise they are putting themselves in a dark grey zone by making those statements. But i also doubt if it is in law that it would be up-to-date enough to cover airsoft as this is fairly new.

Happy to be proved wrong with my reading of this, the above is how i see it.

Edited by chrisinth

Try using a weapon on dogs and especially chickens that many of the locals have a fondest for, then someone may come along and use a weapon on you.

Your OP specifies another good reason why I would hate to have a farang as a neighbor.

I would like to add that they DO pack enough punch to maim and kill...

Have you ever heard of trap & release, if animals are bothering you instead of torture, perhaps you could try a more human way of taking care of the problem, unless of course you enjoy this kind of thing, in that case I hope someone thinks it is a real gun and shoots you back.

Have you ever heard of trap & release, if animals are bothering you instead of torture, perhaps you could try a more human way of taking care of the problem, unless of course you enjoy this kind of thing, in that case I hope someone thinks it is a real gun and shoots you back.

Your opinion and your entitled to it. Mine is a sting in the ass is hardly torture. They shoot them in the head and kill

them in most countries when unwanted animals are wandering around.

• Like 1

I like air guns, I like crossbows, I have both and I like to shoot targets. Of the two the crossbow would be by far the most lethal if used in anger.

I would NEVER shoot a dog or a chicken (or indeed any animal), but I'll tell you this, if you tried to shoot my dogs I'd happily shoot you!

Regarding the law, you will never get a real answer about legality. If you are sensible and shoot targets responsibly it should never be an issue.

Laws are one thing, the way that are policed is another. You know prostitution is illegal in Thailand right.. you get my point.

• Like 1

a farang can not own or carry a gun in Thailand. however I think if you have Thai. Cznship, and transport large

sums of money I think you can use one, hmmm or am I thinking about Texas. 55555 I do know that according

to Wikipedia, Thailand has more guns per capita, then the USA.