Marriage certificate translation

Guemlum

I am hearing conflicting stories on whether my Thai marriage certificate when translated into English, has to be certified in Bangkok by the MOFA. Is this true? My first marriage was translated into English by a bureau in Bangkok and was accepted by the authorities in the UK, so what has changed?

Guemlum

Registration with MFA is what makes a Thai document copy official. But believe UK has an embassy registration procedure that can be used for UK needs - so if you register marriage there official copies are not required.

No longer any facility to lodge your certificate of marriage at the British Embassy, that was withdrawn a while ago.

A THAI marriage certificate does not need to go to the MFA, it and the accompanying registration document are already official documents and are recorded online.

You should tell the UK tax and pensions departments you are married and this can be done online, they do not require any documents.

I needed translations of the certificate, registration and wife's birth certificate for my company pension scheme, these were accepted with a translator stamp and did not need to go to the MFA.

• Like 1

I recently, had a mutually agreeable divorce from my Thai wife here in Pattaya and then we both proceeded to the MOFA and had all certificates translated.

What next? I seem to have read somewhere that I should register the divorce either here, the British Embassy, or in the UK, in case my wife at a later decides to make a claim against me, but I can't remember where or what? My Ex Thai wife holds a British Passport and lives and works in the UK. She is a good person and I believe she would not do anything untoward, but just the same, I want to tie up all the loose ends now and as I'm off to the UK very soon, it would at least to be in my best interest to be able to make an informed decision that everything's been done that can be done?

Any guidance would be really appreciated.