realistic cost of living in Ubon Ratchathani ?

shellman2

maybe 2/3 bedroom house near the centre of town,and just normal everyday costs.food from supermarket,power,internet.just approx cost.will give me something to work with.plus transport ? buses ? taxis.any help or advice will be good.cheers.nothing to extravagant,just average living costs

quiet life.maybe a beer or 2 per month,and currently living in NZ.dont live an extravagant lifestyle,but just like to live comfortably.not 1 for the party/bar scene or anything like that.and pre-fer thai meals

hi.thanks for that.i guessing rent will be my biggest single out going for the month.any ideas on cost ? 10000baht p/m ? or in that area.is what im thinking.i will be looking at 3-6 months stay,probably from about may-june till sept or dec.

hi.thanks for that.i guessing rent will be my biggest single out going for the month.any ideas on cost ? 10000baht p/m ? or in that area.is what im thinking.i will be looking at 3-6 months stay,probably from about may-june till sept or dec.

Probably the ball park figure.

there are a lot of living cost elements to consider such as health insurance, visa and visa renewal costs etc. As a guide I would go by the requirement for retirement or married visa which requires you to demonstrate a THB 800,000 in a thai bank account. this is clearly what the authorities consider to be the amount required by a Farang to live in LOS for 1 year. This equates to THB 67,000/month (USD 2,222/month).

The marriage visa requires less than retirement visa...don't remember if it was 600k or 400k in the bank for at least 2-3 months. Also, that won't matter since he won't be staying a year.

To your question

Food / beverages ( assuming you will eat mostly thai food ) ~ 250 baht / day

Rent in ubon for a small house in or near the city can range from 5k - 15k.

It depends on a few factors...is it furnished? Does it have an air condition ( which I would highly recommend for the summers here ). Is the landlord fair or will he see a farang and double the rent? Take a look at www.ubonhomes.com the guy, John, who runs that website is as far as I know the only western real estate agent in ubon

Electricity: I would say roughly 2-5k per month...mostly depending on if you use an air condition or not.

Water: around 150 baht per month.

Not sure if you need a rental car or bike...I think you can get monthly rentals beginning at 3000 ( again, not too sure about the figure, maybe somebody else can give a more accurate number )

All said and done, I would say 25k to live comfortably. A big part where you save money where other don't / can't is western food.

• Like 2

there are a lot of living cost elements to consider such as health insurance, visa and visa renewal costs etc. As a guide I would go by the requirement for retirement or married visa which requires you to demonstrate a THB 800,000 in a thai bank account. this is clearly what the authorities consider to be the amount required by a Farang to live in LOS for 1 year. This equates to THB 67,000/month (USD 2,222/month).

married visa which requires you to demonstrate a THB 800,000 in a thai bank account. incorrect 400.000 per year

• Like 1

married visa which requires you to demonstrate a THB 800,000 in a thai bank account. incorrect 400.000 per year

Incorrect, an extension of stay based on marriage requires proof of 400,000 Baht, (or 40k monthly), NOT the visa. :-)

I have a mate living in NorthEast Thailand and he reckons around B50K a month. Now thats with rent and extras. He does not drink but eats pretty much farang food.

I know guys living on $800 a month and I know guys living on $10,000 a month. We are all different and have a different idea of what we "need" so not an easy question to answer.

He says 3-6 month stay, not 2 months.

I agree that retirement or marriage extension is irrelevant even so. A tourist visa (or non-O if qualifying by marriage or age) would be more appropriate. Health insurance is clearly not irrelevant for that length of stay.

Many home country travel insurance providers will not cover a trip abroad that is more than one or two months. OP - it is well worth searching for one that will (at least covering your repatriation costs for the duration of your stay in the event of a serious accident/health issue). Otherwise, get insurance when you are here that would cover local care in private hospitals.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

much cheaper in Ubon than Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, or any other farang neighborhood. as other posters have suggested, it's all up to you... there is a small and friendly contingent of farangs who meet at the Lai Thong hotel for lunch every other monday. a wonderful place for a natter and an all u can eat buffet for 200 baht.

DAMN!!! w00t.gif

Ok, I am sick of "Thailand is super cheap" claims. I understand that old cranky guys can afford cheap beer and while drunk do not miss a good meal or companionship. BUT, the normal people, usually sober, wash undies daily, and can type without using the word "mate" or "whilst," want a nice comfortable life. That costs about 50,000 to 70,000 THB/mo.... I put the commas in to help you get REAL.

You will want the "extra cost" items like.......

satellite tv

high speed dependable Internet and phone line or fiber to carry it.

UPS and line conditioner on ur computer.

Regular renewal of visa stuff and trips to renew.

Imported food and a real meal at times.

Car, driver, or taxi........ whadda mean, going by motorbike????

etc etc

And that does not account for flying back to see the kids, paying the inevitable fines, and coping with no health insurance... yes, try the pre existing conditions list, hee hee.

Why live like a bum in Thailand when panhandling is easier in the West?wai.gif

ehh... you work for the overstay police? sounds like it. :-)

I don't need that sort of cash in Ubon matey...........smile.png

Here we go again,but half that would be a easily achievable,less once you are experienced.

Ok, I am sick of "Thailand is super cheap" claims. I understand that old cranky guys can afford cheap beer and while drunk do not miss a good meal or companionship. BUT, the normal people, usually sober, wash undies daily, and can type without using the word "mate" or "whilst," want a nice comfortable life. That costs about 50,000 to 70,000 THB/mo.... I put the commas in to help you get REAL.

satellite tv

etc etc

And that does not account for flying back to see the kids, paying the inevitable fines, and coping with no health insurance... yes, try the pre existing conditions list, hee hee.

Maaate,i save money by going commando and this allows me 1 more Archa/day.Because i am a handsome man women offer to cook and bed me.Who needs TV when you have TVF for entertainment and my nights are taken up by the cooks.Somtam and khaonia everyday except pension day when i can afford gai yung,only eat half and can eat again next day.Walk everywhere for fitness and Thai's will always call me in for a drink and feed.
  • Like 1

i have a pre-plan budget of 50000 p/m.and from what i have seen in the posts.should be sufficient.only time on the ground in beautiful Ubon will i really know.thankyou for all your advice.i have stayed in Ubon before,but that was living out of a hotel,and eating at local eateries.my adventures are only beginning.

• Like 2

I live up the road in Mukdahan. Curious if there are places to rent that are furnished? other than a small apartment? One room apartments here with furnishings are available for B4,000, 4 meters wide, 2 meters long. I don't know about pots and pans and tableware, etc. Maybe some TV members in Ubon can tell you. Ubon is certainly much larger than our town so has much more to do and see.

Thais eat for B100-150 a day except when they don't....:)

We used to budget $25 a day ($10 food/$15 room) for visiting teams double occupancy, $40 single occupancy. Add transportation. Reduce to the extent you can get monthly rentals with furniture, and to the extent you can cook.

Setting up real housekeeping is expensive.

Have fun!

• Like 2

Well, you asked for it and there you have it: anything from 12-80k Baht per month, depending on your needs. Personally I think 20k is tight, 40k is comfortable, but if you are thinking of fooling around with wimmin in any way, add a good 50%

• Like 1

I think your question is difficult to answer as we don't know how you live "your" life or if you live somewhere in LOS now..

I don't know why this OP is getting the rational thought when so many other posters who ask similar "how high is up" questions got specific answers.

Some will say you can live on B6k/mo; others will say it takes B60k/mo; still others will say B600k/mo.

Simply get off your butt and go see for yourself.

• Like 1

satellite tv

etc etc

wow a working class snob who thinks hes above eveything and one...hes here for 6 months on a budget no-doubt..not an inmate...why do you presume he needs home food ..cos you cant intergrate your taste buds..jog on boy..you know very little ..

• Like 2