British Passport renewal

Could anyone tell me the lastest news on times in getting a UK passport back.

Sorry posted here but it is visa related got 2 pages left & visa finishes 31st March.

Got caught up by the change in Immigrations ideas on extenions from B to O visas.

Thanks Paul.

I had my appointment last Tuesday (6th Jan) and they quoted me 6-12 weeks.

That is their standard line but in reality from recent reports in the 100 page plus topic about getting UK passports are that it has been much less recently.

I had my appointment last Tuesday (6th Jan) and they quoted me 6-12 weeks.

That is their standard line but in reality from recent reports in the 100 page plus topic about getting UK passports are that it has been much less recently.

Thats the feeling i got, 6-12 weeks does seem a long wait. My payment was taken out on Friday 9th, Fingers crossed it will be back sooner than quoted.

I will be needing to change mine soon, I have 1 page and a double spread left, but I have just got my most recent visa, so I would assume I have about 9 months. What do they do about your current visa, how do they move that information over exactly?

I will be needing to change mine soon, I have 1 page and a double spread left, but I have just got my most recent visa, so I would assume I have about 9 months. What do they do about your current visa, how do they move that information over exactly?

They do a stamp that will have info about your last visa filled in on it. A entry/permit to stay stamp for when you used that visa. A stamp for your most recent extension of stay.

I think I would consider getting a new passport soon. You never know when something could happen to cause those pages to be used. You can do an extension in your old passport while you are waiting for your new passport.

They do a stamp that will have info about your last visa filled in on it. A entry/permit to stay stamp for when you used that visa. A stamp for your most recent extension of stay.

I think I would consider getting a new passport soon. You never know when something could happen to cause those pages to be used. You can do an extension in your old passport while you are waiting for your new passport.

Ok thanks, I will take your advice.

And another good reason to obtain a new passport sooner rather than later is that, while the processing time may only be 2-4 weeks at present, it could well creep back up to 6-12 weeks after May in advance of next summer's UK peak holiday period.

And another good reason to obtain a new passport sooner rather than later is that, while the processing time may only be 2-4 weeks at present, it could well creep back up to 6-12 weeks after May in advance of next summer's UK peak holiday period.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I have looked on the British website and found the form, how do I go about this, do I send off my current passport with the form? Seems a little dodgy, or do I fill out the form and go to Bangkok? Also, is it worth paying that little bit extra for a jumbo sized passport do you think?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I have looked on the British website and found the form, how do I go about this, do I send off my current passport with the form? Seems a little dodgy, or do I fill out the form and go to Bangkok? Also, is it worth paying that little bit extra for a jumbo sized passport do you think?

See the checklist at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342795/Supportingdocs2AUG2014.PDF and in particular the first footnote:-

"If you are in a country where you must apply in person, you must bring your current British passport with you when you apply, and also bring a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages)."
You will be allowed to retain your existing passport while it is going through the renewal process. But you can't just turn up at Bangkok on spec with your completed application and supporting docs, you'll first need to email [email protected] to book an appointment. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times in your email. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.
It might, indeed, be worth your while paying extra for a jumbo passport if, as I get the impression, the reason why you need to renew your existing passport is not that it is about to expire but rather it will soon be completely full - assuming, of course, that you don't foresee any decrease in your existing rate of passport usage which might result in a standard replacement lasting the full 10 years.
Edited by OJAS

See the checklist at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342795/Supportingdocs2AUG2014.PDF and in particular the first footnote:-

"If you are in a country where you must apply in person, you must bring your current British passport with you when you apply, and also bring a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages)."
You will be allowed to retain your existing passport while it is going through the renewal process. But you can't just turn up at Bangkok on spec with your completed application and supporting docs, you'll first need to email [email protected] to book an appointment. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times in your email. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.
It might, indeed, be worth your while paying extra for a jumbo passport if, as I get the impression, the reason why you need to renew your existing passport is not that it is about to expire but rather it will soon be completely full - assuming, of course, that you don't foresee any decrease in your existing rate of passport usage which might result in a standard replacement lasting the full 10 years.

Yea it expires in 2020 but I have the back page, a double spread page and half of a page left. I get 90 day extensions like everyone else on an ED so that takes up most of my room. I also will be going to Laos in October so it will be wise to get it sorted well before then.

So plan of action is to firstly email them correct? When do I pay because on the website it has the debit and credit card options, or can you pay in Bangkok? Then I need to photocopy every single page in there and bring that along with the checklist of things?

I used to have two passports , as my work involved a lot of travel , one of them expired in 2013 , do you still think it is possible to renew this ?

Yes, it should be OK for passports with burgundy-coloured covers. Renewal would only become difficult, if not impossible, in the case of old expired passports with black covers.

Yea it expires in 2020 but I have the back page, a double spread page and half of a page left. I get 90 day extensions like everyone else on an ED so that takes up most of my room. I also will be going to Laos in October so it will be wise to get it sorted well before then.

So plan of action is to firstly email them correct? When do I pay because on the website it has the debit and credit card options, or can you pay in Bangkok? Then I need to photocopy every single page in there and bring that along with the checklist of things?

"So plan of action is to firstly email them correct?" Yes

"When do I pay because on the website it has the debit and credit card options, or can you pay in Bangkok?" You take your completed debit/credit card mandate to Bangkok with you to Bangkok and they will send it off with your application docs to HMPO's Liverpool office who actually process the payment.

"Then I need to photocopy every single page in there and bring that along with the checklist of things?" Yes - and the photocopies must be in colour.

"So plan of action is to firstly email them correct?" Yes

"When do I pay because on the website it has the debit and credit card options, or can you pay in Bangkok?" You take your completed debit/credit card mandate to Bangkok with you to Bangkok and they will send it off with your application docs to HMPO's Liverpool office who actually process the payment.

"Then I need to photocopy every single page in there and bring that along with the checklist of things?" Yes - and the photocopies must be in colour.

In colour ay, thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have known this otherwise. One last question, I have a thai bank account and my debit card says 'electronic use only' which means I cannot buy things online and so forth. Will this be an issue? I don't have a credit card and never will, my thoughts on that are if you don't have the cash to pay for it now then you shouldn't. I don't know why Kasikorn have given me this card which restricts online shopping...

In colour ay, thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have known this otherwise. One last question, I have a thai bank account and my debit card says 'electronic use only' which means I cannot buy things online and so forth. Will this be an issue? I don't have a credit card and never will, my thoughts on that are if you don't have the cash to pay for it now then you shouldn't. I don't know why Kasikorn have given me this card which restricts online shopping...

This could, indeed, prove to be a major stumbling block for you. Do you know anyone out here or back in the UK who would be willing to make the payment on your behalf with their valid credit or debit card?

This could, indeed, prove to be a major stumbling block for you. Do you know anyone out here or back in the UK who would be willing to make the payment on your behalf with their valid credit or debit card?

I have my mother who could do it for me, but she does not share the same surname as me. Anyway her name will be going on the forms so... Yeah if she is allowed to she can pay for it.

Monk 213 , I have a Bkk Bank debit card , it also says for electronic use only , I have used it to buy flight tickets , and numerous goods on the internet.

The only thing online I can do with mine is use it with Paypal, ie get money sent from Payapl to my bank account. Anything else like Ebay, Amazon etc won't let me use the card, maybe I should go and bring it up with a member of the Kasikorn staff?

Monk 213 , I have a Bkk Bank debit card , it also says for electronic use only , I have used it to buy flight tickets , and numerous goods on the internet.

The only thing online I can do with mine is use it with Paypal, ie get money sent from Payapl to my bank account. Anything else like Ebay, Amazon etc won't let me use the card, maybe I should go and bring it up with a member of the Kasikorn staff?

Seems very strange.....

When debit cards are issued, they are not automatically authorised by visa. Either go into the bank or call their call centre. I had to do this for my bkk bank debit card. Once you have activated it with visa you are good to go.

Edited by ChrisNew
  • Like 1

When debit cards are issued, they are not automatically authorised by visa. Either go into the bank or call their call centre. I had to do this for my bkk bank debit card. Once you have activated it with visa you are good to go.

Thanks for that, I have had a Thai account for 4 years and have never done this, how silly. facepalm.gif

Looking at the supporting document requirememnts, it says if you are applying from abroad you must have proof of a UK address dated within the last year:

Name and address and/or residency evidence
Please provide
one
of the following:
visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
educational record eg school report
employment record eg official letter from your employer
letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
baptismal or naming certificate
medical/health card
voter’s card
parents’ death certificates if applicable

immigration document

Although not terribly difficult to get, I would guess a lot of long termers don't have this.