Buddism & Iced Cappuchino...

SiSePuede419

whatever they can SLURP with loud noises without chewing is ok

actually no, it's a breach of one of the training rules.

however I do notice many thai monks smack their lips after swallowing a drink, which is also a breach of the training rules ... however this is one of those inherent things they learn from adults as children - and habits are difficult, almost impossible to cha ge if one doesn't make the effort to do so.

One of the mo ks I knew from a few years back also told me it is thai culture (smacking lips or slurping shows it's delicious ... whatever). Anyways this is an example of culture incorporating itself into Buddhism in Thailand.

Alot of times their habits are taken with them into their ordination, which is understandable (they don't become pristine in an hour), but it is a problem if it isn't tackled. A few years down the road some of these monks end up the example for the newer ordainees - they see so and so with hardly any restraint and thi k it's ok to be as such.

Which is why it's very important to observe the abbot and his temple for any nuances which can be detrimental to ones time in robes. Of course those on a short stint are a different case.

Edited by hookedondhamma

What is with grumpy foreigners, non Buddhists, near hate for monks? Seems raw jealousy over their idealized kneejerk idea of monks' lives.

I think many enjoy looking at others more than themselves.

it's something I experienced in my home country as well, so it's probably global. The odd thing I see on thaivisa often is people giving their sound advice to something they've never experienced. It's kind of like reading a book on meditation then going to teach masses of people ... without having any direct hands-on experience.

There's also the common perception that monks are just bad in general, as they have no blue-collar job, etc. So I can see where some fly off the handle - however, it may help them to remember this is not their original culture or country.

All I can think is, you must be really bored to take notice & concern regarding the eating habits of random monks, then to find a computer & post about it. Live & let live; it's Thainess. Likewise, I just be equally bored to respond, so mai bpen rai.

I can't remember the exact source, but there is a great story about a monk who spends years in a temple undergoing all kinds of austerities, rituals and practices without any apparent progress. Finally in frustration he decides to leave. With his new found freedom he heads for the nearest village intent on finding a whore for the night. All is going well. But just as he is about to enter her, he awakens.