Pattaya Adsl Connection Questions

JonnieB

I am gathering info re ADSL conncections in Pattaya for a new house i am renting on soi nernplubwan. it's about a kilometer down from sukhumvit so should be serviced by both TTT and TOT.

My question is what's the consensus on these two providers? are they both similar re line speeds and customer service?

I have heard good thing re Loxinfo's ADSL service. I take it that if i want Lox's service, i first have to get a telephone line from either TTT or TOT first and then use Lox's modem? is that how it works.

Any comments re Telecom Asia/True's service?

Any other options I have not heard about?

Also, is an ADSL line a regular telephone line and the "high speed" part for internet is the modem attached at the house end or it a special line alltogether from the telephone co's office?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

what's the consensus on these two providers?

They are both about the same ( pretty bad )

I would go for the TOT cybergold package ( if you can get a TOT line ) 1000 baht per month

Speed 1024/256 kbps

But TT&T lines are easier and faster to get installed so you may have to settle for that I'm using thier Maxnet4home package and its Ok to poor.

Loxinfo expensive and belongs ( if I remember correctly ) to that bloke that didn't pay his taxes

who now acts as PM.

Normaly the ADSL is enabled on your exisiting telephone line..you can use voice and data at the same time.

TOT also have a SDSL service that runs on a dedicated line ( no voice service )

http://www.adslthailand.com/ for some more info.

But TT&T lines are easier and faster to get installed so you may have to settle for that I'm using thier Maxnet4home package and its Ok to poor.

I used TT&T for 8 years and their service was c_rap. They didn't want to know about the same recurring problem (excessive noise) that I had on my line during wet weather. Every time they placed the blame on the condo where I live and every time they told me that they had checked out the local junction box outside. This was a lie. When pushed, a technician turned up to clean a connection in this outside junction box and the problem disappeared...but after waiting 2 or 3 days.

I change to TOT last November and their service has been good.

I change to TOT last November and their service has been good.

How long did it take you to get a TOT line installed ?

The new TOT multi-core cable was installed from Beach Road to the Condo and then new numbers were allocated. From completion of the cable installation to being able to use TOT line from my home, about two weeks.

Edited by Artisan

Thats a good time...but I think you where lucky. :o

Yes, everything latched in nicely. TOT were installing a new multicore cable to the condo and 50 new numbers were available. I put my name down as soon as I knew.......and, in the meantime, I still had my TT&T number which, when TOT were at my door, I passed over to someone else in the family.

Edited by Artisan

Thanks for the replies. I know both TTT and TOT service is not up to "inter" standards but by Thai standards I was wondering if there was any great difference. Sounds like they are sorta the same. Sorta depends on luck like so much else in LOS. Hopefully being just off soi nernplubwan in pattaya there will be a "trunk" line nearby.

I will try my luck with TOT service first :o