Thai Commerce plans to sell 17.8 million tonnes of leftover rice in two years

webfact

Commerce plans to sell 17.8 million tonnes of leftover rice in two years

1-13-2015-11-31-25-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Commerce plans to sell 17.8 million tonnes of leftover rice from the previous government’s rice pledging scheme within two years.

Commerce permanent secretary Ms Chutima Bunyaprapat said after chairing a meeting of the panel tasked with selling the leftover rice that the panel targeted to offload 10 million tonnes this year and the rest next year through auctions and government-to-government deals.

But the sale will be properly timed to prevent it from affecting the prices of new rice crops as the primary objective of the ministry is to stabilize the prices of new rice crops, she said, adding that it is not known whether all the leftover rice will be sold out in two years.

Auction of rice per warehouse will be held 2-3 times within January-March period after which the auction will be suspended as new rice crops will be harvested. Auction will start again after harvest is about to end.

The first auction is scheduled on January 20 for one million tonnes of milled rice.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/commerce-plans-sell-17-8-million-tonnes-leftover-rice-two-years

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-14

Commerce permanent secretary Ms Chutima Bunyaprapat said after chairing a meeting of the panel tasked with selling the leftover rice that the panel targeted to offload 10 million tonnes this year and the rest next year through auctions and government-to-government deals.

Another consequence of this disastrous scheme. Thailand is still producing 25 to 30 million tons of rice a year, and exports 10 to 12 million tons. Unless a major natural disaster occurs or it cuts production in half, the price of rice will remain painfully low for several years to come.

• Like 1

Let some pro traders handle the sale - they may afford a Lamborghini if they are good at this. But the country would save many millions by getting rid of that rice asap.

Look at the messes these bureaucrats have created. One tablet per child included. Committees, auctions, vague promises and predictions instead of actually going to make the sale!

• Like 1

The govt are already limiting production by keeping river and canal levels low enough so that farmers find it impossible to grow a crop now. Where I live some rice farmers have effectively had their income slashed by up to 50%.

I think that has more to do with availability of water, at least the lack of. I do believe the farmers were warned of this months ago. Here in Chaing Mai, most farmers had there 3rd rice crop in by the first of the year, and those that didnt are planting now.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Has anyone got any idea of how much is actually in the silos/ storage and how much has been sold , every time this crops up I wonder if the previous lot has actually be sold , there just seems an endless amount of rice rotating out of Thailand. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Numbers are confusing, especially with the continuing to subsidize rice prices this year. Here is what I have read:

- More than 85 million tons of rice were pledged under 15 pledging schemes launched by the governments from 2004 to 2014. Three-fourths of that amount came from the Yingluck government.

- On 2014-07-14 the NCPO audit of 18 million tons of pledged rice had progressed by 72% and 80% was in “good condition.”

- As of 2014-11-13 there was 19.2 million tons of rice in government stockpiles.

- On 2014-11-15 PM Prayut stated that Government warehouses are holding 17.89 million tons of pledged rice, of which 16.7 million tons “can be sold.” Of this total 2.1 million tons of rice was up to “standard,” while another 14.4 million tons would need to be re-graded. There is also 6.94 million tons of spoiled rice and rice of no clear origin. The government refused to disclose how it classified the stored rice into Grades A, B and C.

- On 2014-12-19 PM's Office Minister Panadda Diskul said just 12.2% of rice stored in government warehouses under the rice-pledging scheme was up to “standard.”

Market sales will tell the final story if the government makes full disclosure. If it doesn’t, that’s another story.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Has anyone got any idea of how much is actually in the silos/ storage and how much has been sold , every time this crops up I wonder if the previous lot has actually be sold , there just seems an endless amount of rice rotating out of Thailand. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Numbers are confusing, especially with the continuing to subsidize rice prices this year. Here is what I have read:

- More than 85 million tons of rice were pledged under 15 pledging schemes launched by the governments from 2004 to 2014. Three-fourths of that amount came from the Yingluck government.

- On 2014-07-14 the NCPO audit of 18 million tons of pledged rice had progressed by 72% and 80% was in “good condition.”

- As of 2014-11-13 there was 19.2 million tons of rice in government stockpiles.

- On 2014-11-15 PM Prayut stated that Government warehouses are holding 17.89 million tons of pledged rice, of which 16.7 million tons “can be sold.” Of this total 2.1 million tons of rice was up to “standard,” while another 14.4 million tons would need to be re-graded. There is also 6.94 million tons of spoiled rice and rice of no clear origin. The government refused to disclose how it classified the stored rice into Grades A, B and C.

- On 2014-12-19 PM's Office Minister Panadda Diskul said just 12.2% of rice stored in government warehouses under the rice-pledging scheme was up to “standard.”

Market sales will tell the final story if the government makes full disclosure. If it doesn’t, that’s another story.

You are trying to confuse here aren't you.

For instance the Dems scheme was not a pledging scheme but a crop insurance :

http://www.thaivisa....sit-tells-govt/

You forgot to mention that in April 2014 :

BANGKOK, 24 April 2014

Minister Yanyong visited the NACC on Wednesday to submit a letter asserting that inspections of the rice stock in warehouses, carried out in March by Ministry of Commerce officials and members of the rice stock inspection committee, found that the entire 18.7 million tons of rice was intact and another 1.1 million tons was being fumigated.

You don't tell us that the 14th of the 7th number was only an estimate of what was in stock based on what the NCPO had been told should be there.

I suspect if you want full disclosure of what has been bought, sold, lost or just disappeared then it is the Yingluck Govt you should be asking for the present administration can only go on what is there at the time of the inspection as there appears to be no previous accounting available, if indeed any were kept.

• Like 1

I thought that only 10% of it was good grade rice? It would seem the current mob are just as bad as the old mob when telling porkie pies!!

I forget the figures, but there was a small percentage which was 'quality as documented' with the largest part 'quality found less than quality documented' and the remainder a complete write-off.

All this reminds me that now is a good time to plan for a National 'clean a warehouse' day. When the warehouses are empty they should be cleaned, renovated/modernised as applicable and checked before being allowed to operate as 'rice' warehouse again.

• Like 1

The govt are already limiting production by keeping river and canal levels low enough so that farmers find it impossible to grow a crop now. Where I live some rice farmers have effectively had their income slashed by up to 50%.

Actually mother nature is the determining factor in irrigation rather than the government. Last year was fairly dry and this year will probably be worse so the chances of them selling most of the old stock are better, especially as this government are being more prudent than the previous PTP government in buying EVERY grain of rice at 40% over market value.

That is what caused the huge rice stock and the lack of sales.

Ideally Thailand should grow only enough to create a small surplus every year but of a much better quality rice which gets a better price at the market place.