Want to move to LOS permamently (25 years old, not a native speaker)

Lukecan

Hey guys a bit of background info about me. About to graduate with a degree in Management Information Systems from the most reputable university in Turkey.I'll graduate in about 6 months from now and I absolutely dont see my future in Turkey or any part of the west.

I want to settle down in S.E.A permanently, my top preference is Bangkok, but wouldnt mind Chiang Mai, Ho Chi Minh, Phnom Penh either. What route should I take, I cant teach english as I'm not a native speaker, so thats out of the question. I want to stay in S.E.A legally without having to do visa runs. Right now I'm preparing for the foreign service officer examination, but its not that easy to get in, IF I get it in it'll be great but I probably wont get in so I'm trying to figure out my plan B. The best way is to obviously get into the foreign ministry and get posted to S.E.A where you'll receive a starting salary of about 5-6k usd a month, but thats a long shot for now.

My 2nd plan is to get a pilot license and try to land a flying gig in one of the airlines in Cambodia,Thailand,Malaysia,China etc.

Could anyone give me other ideas?My parents could send me 2-2.5k usd a month but I dont want to receive money from them at this age, it will hurt my self esteem. I want a proper job without living in Turkey or the west.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Open a Doner Kebab shop they are very popular in BKK and Pattaya.

Bunch of them already, dont think PAttaya or BKK needs another donerci.

I want my own business someday, but first I gotta get used to how things are done here. Bunch of farangs opening shops in LOS and next thing you see they close it down.So many turks went bankrupt here, countless of them.

• Like 1

I'd stick with your 'foreign service officer' thingy as a way in. Pilot jobs are tough to get into locally even for seasoned flyers, oil & gas for similar reasons (more jobs going to natives and lower paid Asians). Teaching is not great money, and no worries that you're not a native English speaker for that avenue.

I'd recommend travelling on your folks' dime for a few years (on Ed Visa) to get it out of your system and then head back before you end up getting married. Not many prospects here unless you bring some skill to the table (and being posted here with a big firm). Have a go by all means, just DO NOT burn your bridges. There's every possibility this place could go tits up, silly expensive and make visas even tougher.

• Like 2

I'd stick with your 'foreign service officer' thingy as a way in. Pilot jobs are tough to get into locally even for seasoned flyers, oil & gas for similar reasons (more jobs going to natives and lower paid Asians). Teaching is not great money, and no worries that you're not a native English speaker for that avenue.

I'd recommend travelling on your folks' dime for a few years (on Ed Visa) to get it out of your system and then head back before you end up getting married. Not many prospects here unless you bring some skill to the table (and being posted here with a big firm). Have a go by all means, just DO NOT burn your bridges. There's every possibility this place could go tits up, silly expensive and make visas even tougher.

I'm brought all the necessary books with me on my holiday to study for the exam :) I'm studying for the entrance exam nearly everyday after partying .My final exams ended 5days ago, the day it ended I took a flight to Bangkok, will be here until my school opens. Never knew tht pilot jobs were hard to land as I saw so many farang pilots flying with asian airlines, thanks for the info about the aviation industry! Edited by Lukecan

You don't state why you want to move to SEA. If it's for a career, bad place to start.

I dont really care about my career.I want a place that makes me happy, and S.E.A definitely nails it. The way of life, the climiate, unlimited dining options, buzzling nightlife, relatively low cost of living , when you combine all of these factors it looks attractive in my eyes

• Like 1

OP, reading your posts you come across to me as a little spoiled kid that depend on your parents to support you.

Don't give me excuses you don't want to take money from your parents or you want to work.

You are only thinking of yourself and how to enjoy your life on your parents expenses.

Get a job first in Turkey, prove yourself that you are capable to conduct your own life and then start thinking of coming to Thailand and start partying.

You are too young and inexperienced and dreams like that don't usually have a good outcome.

I know you don't like what I say, but sometimes you have to listen to people with more experience in life than you.

What's wrong to be a spoiled kid?!?

Just enjoy your family wealth, study what you like, travel extensively, party, do mistakes, re-start again,...

But never fell guilty for not being born lumpen proletarian: that's their problems, not yours!!

• Like 2

Welcome Thailand please come soon

another digital pikey/movie actor/Ed visa abuser/Walt/wannabee/quality tourist in the in the making

Indeed.

I can see him posting here again in 6 months after spending all his time on a Southern beach, peeing mum and dad's money up the wall asking how to become a TEFLer with a WP and real visa so he can stay with 'Tee Rak' who is syphoning off his cash to the farm....

Maybe he cold take Rangsitreppin with his as a guide and guru....

• Like 2

You don't state why you want to move to SEA. If it's for a career, bad place to start.

I dont really care about my career.I want a place that makes me happy, and S.E.A definitely nails it. The way of life, the climiate, unlimited dining options, buzzling nightlife, relatively low cost of living , when you combine all of these factors it looks attractive in my eyes

This is against the natural rules of mother nature.

You must first go to the west and start a career, make as much money as possible. Work your balls off. Get married (at least once), give away 90% of all the money you've ever made. At the age of about 45-50 swear alot at the west and move to Asia.

Marry a bar girl, who is clearly "different" to other bar girls. Buy her a house in Issan and let her and her "brother" live with you....

A wannabee pilot who doesn't care about his prospective career, if you do manage to get a flying gig please let me know which companies taxi's your are driving so I can avoid that airline like the plague

• Like 2

You sound like you have a great plan, What University in Turkey did you buy your degree from?

LOL. Great plan indeed.

Finish best Uni in Turkey, go to Thailand to meet the 'professional' bird I've been chatting to on Facebook/Thai Friendly for the last 8 months, join a highly trained profession with no experience hoping they have an apprentice pilot's scheme, scoff at the visa laws, coast through my exams with a bottle in my hand, live happily ever after....cos life is that simple....