New zoning policy ensures more public space on Pattaya, Jomtien beaches

webfact

New zoning policy ensures more public space on Pattaya, Jomtien beaches

THAILAND'S nationwide beach clean-ups are continuing into the new year with Pattaya and Jomtien receiving a new zoning regulation to reduce the space for beach chairs and umbrellas so as to increase fun areas for holidaymakers.

Suladda Sarutilavan, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Pattaya office, said the new zoning policy is being enforced under a provincial regulation with the objective of providing more public space on the beach and improving the experience of travellers.

Tourists can choose to relax on wide stretches of empty sand or seek out deckchairs and umbrellas in designated areas.

Under the new zoning regulation, Pattaya and Jomtien beaches are now offering 10 metres of public space or sand areas for every 100 metres wide beach-chair zone with each vendor's concession separated from the next by one metre.

The 2.9-kilometre stretch of Pattaya Beach now offers 1.75 kilometres of public space, 60 per cent of the total area. Jomtien Beach is now offering public space of 3.4 kilometres or about 58 per cent of the total 5.9-kilometre stretch.

The remaining areas at both beaches are for deckchairs and umbrella rentals.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/New-zoning-policy-ensures-more-public-space-on-Pat-30251958.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-15

?????? If there is only 10 meter of public space between every 100 meters of Deckchair space, how can they come up with numbers like these :

"The 2.9-kilometre stretch of Pattaya Beach now offers 1.75 kilometres of public space, 60 per cent of the total area. Jomtien Beach is now offering public space of 3.4 kilometres or about 58 per cent of the total 5.9-kilometre stretch" ????????? Whaaaat????

I know Thais are not very good at mathematics, but this does not only call for a capital FAIL in maths lessons, but a gross and rank desinformation . . . .

Example: On a 2900 meter (2.9 km) stretch of beach, 26 such 110 meter consignments are possible. This translates to 260 meters of public space on a 2.9 km stretch of beach. 260 meters are 8.9 % of the whole stretch, not 60 %

It is laughable !

Oh yes in know, dear Thai Administrators, the beach is 100% public space, isn't it ? We should be happy with 10 meters deckchairless space and thank you WAI WAI !!

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 2

?????? If there is only 10 meter of public space between every 100 meters of Deckchair space, how can they come up with numbers like these :

"The 2.9-kilometre stretch of Pattaya Beach now offers 1.75 kilometres of public space, 60 per cent of the total area. Jomtien Beach is now offering public space of 3.4 kilometres or about 58 per cent of the total 5.9-kilometre stretch" ????????? Whaaaat????

I know Thais are not very good at mathematics, but this does not only call for a capital FAIL in maths lessons, but a gross and rank desinformation . . . .

Example: On a 2900 meter (2.9 km) stretch of beach, 26 such 110 meter consignments are possible. This translates to 260 meters of public space on a 2.9 km stretch of beach. 260 meters are 8.9 % of the whole stretch, not 60 %

It is laughable !

Oh yes in know, dear Thai Administrators, the beach is 100% public space, isn't it ? We should be happy with 10 meters deckchairless space and thank you WAI WAI !!

Thanks for pointing that out. It was my first thought also. Outright lying or one horrible mistake by a stupid reporter or a stupid government spokes-person. Oh heck, let's call the reporter stupid for even reporting such numbers as these.

They may be counting the 1 meter between each consession, but even that does not come close to the 60% they are claiming. It only adds 26 extra meters to their calculations and of course these areas all virtually unusable as a place to relax and enjoy the beach. You just have to laugh at the shear stupidity.

It is laughable !

Are they perhaps counting the space in front of the chair areas to the waterline? But even that, I don't think, would give the numbers quoted. Aha, perhaps it was low tide. Or if you include Wednesdays where there is 100% access to a public beach (we are supposed to be gratefull) and devide by 7 may'be the numbers work then?

Maybe on Pattaya Beach, the overstated 60% result from the beach far north of the dolphins . . . where there are no more deckchairs due to the stony beach. That would add up a good 35% of the whole of Pattaya beach.

However they count Pattaya Beach as being only 2.9 kilometers length . . . so they obviously start to count where the first consigned deckchairs begin . . .

Anyways, we all know the reporters never check their own mathematical conclusions. Winston Churchill : Never trust a statistic which you haven't faked by yourself

Edited by crazygreg44

when people start getting into where is this measured from ie the high tide or low tide or the palm trees or the brass pin in the water that measures the mean of the former, then index this to climate change and the water rising 3cm per year, with the ice melts, el ninyo, el grego, dah dah.

then maybe we will get a meaningful area for public use

Now is the time to bring your own umbrella and sun chair. Plenty of space and it's free. And while you're at it, bring your own drinks bought at 7 eleven. No more hassle from irritating beach vendors. Life is great.

Edited by balo

• 2 weeks later...

So as a tourist, I am now expected to arrive at the beach with bed and umbrella? and not be annoyed by food sellers or masseurs? really - I am quite capable of saying "no thanks" but like many others, I like relaxing in shade on the beach and having the option of food sellers or the menu from the concession and having a massage if I wish. I have used the beach at Jomtien for many years and never have I seen the "free" beach area by Rabbit Resort overused - so no need to change anything.

So as a tourist, I am now expected to arrive at the beach with bed and umbrella? and not be annoyed by food sellers or masseurs? really - I am quite capable of saying "no thanks" but like many others, I like relaxing in shade on the beach and having the option of food sellers or the menu from the concession and having a massage if I wish. I have used the beach at Jomtien for many years and never have I seen the "free" beach area by Rabbit Resort overused - so no need to change anything.

Which part of this did you not understand?

"Tourists can choose to relax on wide stretches of empty sand or seek out deckchairs and umbrellas in designated areas".

Edited by LennyW