New Sidi boots

dave_boo

Has anyone looked into Sidi's 2015 line-up of new boots? What do you think?

I'm obviously a touring type rider so no need of previous generation's Vortice (too track oriented) or Crossfire (too off-road oriented). Both provide levels of protection that are heads and shoulders above what I require. My Cobra Air, which was Sidi's cheapest option for on road boots at the time, have served me fine. In fact after all this usage they're broken in and are actually quite pleasant to wear.

However...they are getting old and it's probably time to look into other options. One boot that caught my eye was the All Road Gore-Tex. Being velcro, they should be easy on/off meaning I can slip on some sandals at lunch instead of clodding around like Iron Man. Obviously being Gore-Tex they should be water resistant (proof?) which would alleviate the sloshy foot feeling when caught in a rain storm. But how well does Gore-Tex flow air? Protection-wise it looks like I'm giving up the Achilles tendon/calf protection for a proper toe box...not that I ever considered the Cobra's protection there lacking.

Does this sound like a good boot, or would another in the sub 12,000 baht (I'd buy from revzilla naturally) range be a better choice? I obviously would like something that is water resistant (I try not to ride in the rain but we all know about being caught in it) that still flows air for when it's hot.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Vortices, which are the Godzilla of protection, and I agree they're a bit much, but I really worry about screwing up my ankle and knee (forces trasmitted from the foot hitting the ground are actually the leading cause of motorcyle accident knee injuries)- the new Mag-1 boots are nearly as protective and are quite a bit lighter, and worth a look. You can't say what level of protection you might need- hopefully you won't find out, but it's better to have it and not need it...

That said, I understand the need to compromise protection for comfort on a long ride, though, and if you're willing to give up the torsional rigidity, I think the All-Road boots look pretty good (Sidi doesn't make a bad boot). Revzilla doesn't have a video review yet, which is too bad as Anthony does a good job pimping his stuff.;). Gore-Tex breathes and not only will help keep out moisture, but will also allow the sweat from your feet to evaporate- there's a reason the stuff is so pricey.

At the 12K/$400 price-point you have a load of options- you can check out A*, of course, and Panda Rider has the TCX line for about the same price as you'd find in the US, and they make a quality boot- they also have the Daytona line, which is also very highly regarded.

I've got the Vortices, which are the Godzilla of protection, and I agree they're a bit much, but I really worry about screwing up my ankle and knee (forces trasmitted from the foot hitting the ground are actually the leading cause of motorcyle accident knee injuries)- the new Mag-1 boots are nearly as protective and are quite a bit lighter, and worth a look. You can't say what level of protection you might need- hopefully you won't find out, but it's better to have it and not need it...

That said, I understand the need to compromise protection for comfort on a long ride, though, and if you're willing to give up the torsional rigidity, I think the All-Road boots look pretty good (Sidi doesn't make a bad boot). Revzilla doesn't have a video review yet, which is too bad as Anthony does a good job pimping his stuff.wink.png. Gore-Tex breathes and not only will help keep out moisture, but will also allow the sweat from your feet to evaporate- there's a reason the stuff is so pricey.

At the 12K/$400 price-point you have a load of options- you can check out A*, of course, and Panda Rider has the TCX line for about the same price as you'd find in the US, and they make a quality boot- they also have the Daytona line, which is also very highly regarded.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that going overboard with protection is better than finding out you needed more...luckily I haven't had any issue finding out just how much protection I've needed recently so I can't really answer that.

I can tell that most of the time, when group riding, I'm doing between 110 and 140. Solo riding, which isn't really solo as Ms. dave_boo comes along a lot, is more sedate at 80-110. I obviously ride in the sticks more than the city so there's that as well.

The pricing doesn't bother me too much; I am looking for that perfect blend of comfort and protection. I absolutely hate having feet that are not comfortable because they are either sweating (and then the associated boot stink) or they are clammy with yesterday's ride through the rainstorm and still haven't dried out boots.

The TCX Infinity EVO Gore-Tex boots or the Alpinestars Toucan Gore-Tex boots both look to be comparable to the SIDI...with the exception of not appearing to be as vented. The A* do look nicer though...

Used A* SMX-5 vented boots for years now. Not hot, decent protection, affordable.

Seems to be about the same-same as the Sidi Cobras I have now. My Cobras are well and truly broken in and fit very well if they are a narrow. Is 3 1/2 years a good amount of time to use them? I honestly don't know.

I'm looking to go up to some waterproofing and possibly a bit more protection. I can spend the money, but being the (*ahem*) frugal sort would want to maximise on the price/performance ratio.

Lately I wear my A* Supertech R boots more than anything else- I've been making an effort to stay away from shorty boots (though my SMX-1 boots are so comfy and convenient)- they're surprisingly comfortable considering they use an inner-bootie system, but they can get warm on a really hot day. If I don't wear the Vortices for a while it takes me a minte to figure out how to put them on (ridiculous,y complicated)- the ST Air boots like Nickymaster has are really good and easier to get into.

Of the boots you're considering, though, I like the A* Toucan Gore-Tex- they look really nice, but for $500 they had better be- that's a really sturdy boot.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I would like to get my hands of these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-field-armor-2-boots

I want something that I can also hike in, dual purpose.

Back in the day I had a pair of what appears to be their grandpappies...the Icon Chukka boots. Other than the strap, when you had a pair of jeans draped over them it was hard to tell they weren't a pair of Doc Martins from a cursory glance.

Other than being stiff and very heavy they were pretty good on and off the bike.

Lately I wear my A* Supertech R boots more than anything else- I've been making an effort to stay away from shorty boots (though my SMX-1 boots are so comfy and convenient)- they're surprisingly comfortable considering they use an inner-bootie system, but they can get warm on a really hot day. If I don't wear the Vortices for a while it takes me a minte to figure out how to put them on (ridiculous,y complicated)- the ST Air boots like Nickymaster has are really good and easier to get into.

Of the boots you're considering, though, I like the A* Toucan Gore-Tex- they look really nice, but for $500 they had better be- that's a really sturdy boot.

They do look to offer more protection than the Sidi All-Roads don't they? A bit more flash, but that will be hidden up under the pant legs. I am just concerned, looking at the pictures, they don't flow air as well.

The point of Gore-Tex is the breathability (and of course the waterproof aspect)- it allows air in, but, more importantly in a climate like LOS has, it lets heat out, even in the absence of vents- it's why the fabric adds so much to the cost of the boot. If it was the standard Lorica synthetic leather like Sidi and A* uses, venting would be more of an issue.

Have you thought about the Alpinestars CR-4 ?

it's an old model boot, but it's definitely an excellent tourer boot today.

I have one, and I love it. been using it everywhere, everyday to go to work, on my trip to Japan and now in Brazil with it.

super comfortable can be used all day long.

I even felt on my bike a month ago, early morning, cold tires, leaned too much, bike when side sliding.

Boot was good, just a bit of scratch on the metal protectors holding the strings and on the front.

The point of Gore-Tex is the breathability (and of course the waterproof aspect)- it allows air in, but, more importantly in a climate like LOS has, it lets heat out, even in the absence of vents- it's why the fabric adds so much to the cost of the boot. If it was the standard Lorica synthetic leather like Sidi and A* uses, venting would be more of an issue.

It's my understanding that Gore-Tex can be applied to pretty free-flowing materials as well as to those that don't. I am obviously looking for the most air possible. And from the pictures it appears that the SIDI boots have a more free flowing design.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

It's tough to tell by lookjng at it, and Anthony wants to sell boots, so he's a bit biased, but he does make a point of mentioning how well the boot breathes, and if it breathes, it will run on there cool side- you need to research user reviews for the real deal. If I had to crash, I'd rather have the A* on my feet, though.

The CR-4 has inner gore-tex and outer is leather. I dont feel it too hot, just a bit humid inside, I take it out for 5-10 minutes during breaks if wearing for too long.

here are some photos, after I crashed: http://imgur.com/a/Dubbc

BcNYYEg.jpg

Dogv9fj.jpg

Thanks for the proposal. They look like they can flow a lot of air but two strikes against them in my book. Not as tall as I'd like and a separate booty. I know me; and I'd take the booty out to make sure the most air comes in and never put it back...defeating the purpose of the Gore-Tex. Yes I really am that much of an idiot. sad.png

And crash is so harsh; use a euphemism such as 'definitively discovered the limits of the cold tyres on my bike". Sounds more like you took one for science rather than did something wrong.clap2.gif

It's tough to tell by lookjng at it, and Anthony wants to sell boots, so he's a bit biased, but he does make a point of mentioning how well the boot breathes, and if it breathes, it will run on there cool side- you need to research user reviews for the real deal. If I had to crash, I'd rather have the A* on my feet, though.

That's what I am really waiting for...the rider reviews. Unfortunately it will probably be spring by the time any come across but I'm hoping to hear how they aren't fit for colder weather; that would make me happy because it indicates plenty of air flow.

The A* are the same as the 2013 version except for the buckles (and price)- what do the reviews for the older ones say?

Edited- I just checked- 53 reviews, and airflow gets ratings from 1-5, averaging 3.8- overall it gets 4.8, which is really high.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-toucan-gore-tex-boots

Edited by RubberSideDown

The A* are the same as the 2013 version except for the buckles (and price)- what do the reviews for the older ones say?

Not encouraging.

"The temps were in the 50's, and while the boots kept my feet dry from the rainfall, they also kept them warm but not muggy."

"Been riding in these for a few weeks in rainy California "winter" weather, and I can confidently say that my feet are dry and warm"

"Whether it's 6 Celsius or 30 Celsius and the same boots with the same comfort."

"They are very comfortable, fit will on my foot, and are very breathable. However, on hot days (85F+), your foot will sweat as with any boot."

From the first 2 pages.

Full-coverage motorcycle boots will feel warm on a hot day- they're not flip-flops. Like with everything else, if you're moving, you're fine.

I don't find the Cobra Air boots to be any worst than a pair of tennies.

Perhaps I am demanding too much to think I'd be able to get that level of hot comfort combined with waterproofing?

Surely if you are wearing any substantial long pants over any type of boot, this will reduce the amount of airflow possible, except around the lower foot ?

Shouldn't affect the breathability but worth considering...

I use these AGV Sport Solare pants which flow a lot of air.

Sure... Was just a thought.

My Kevlar jeans are quite thick with not so much flow !

i am using Sidi Vertigo boots now along others for my fast spirited rides and for track riding.

it is compromised nicely for track and road riding and very comfy for such a boot and my feet never get wet.

Bought them for 4900 thb from Paddock from discount which was a great price that time.

Looking for Vortices that time but they are not as comfy as Vertigos but much more better and safer for track of course, still not super compromised for daily/road use.

But, if you are looking for boots just to use them on the roads, i believe another set of perforated Sidi Cobra is the perfect choice, especially the Gore Tex ones:

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=15&lng_riv=

Sidi Cobra Air is also good enough for the climate here with full perforation.

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=12&lng_riv=

If you want full touring boots, there are other brands better than Sidi. Sidi is good at doing boots for fast rides IMO.

Check Panda Rides, lots of good prices Daytonas, TCX, Revit and Gaerne touring boots there at discount before new year.

I like this Vitesse model. But no size for me that time.

Boots_Vitesse_Glove2.jpg

and of course Daytona boots are great. Made in Germany, hand made and they go forever plus looks really good. One was at discount 6 months ago and going for 5900 THB! Now prices are up but worth it.

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Boots_daytona.htm

Boots_Daytona_410111.jpg

Edited by ll2

Sure... Was just a thought.

My Kevlar jeans are quite thick with not so much flow !

If that was an underhanded comment that I don't wear sufficient protective gear....just come out and say it!

I'll agree that I don't wear as much protection as I probably should or can even afford. In my (perhaps inexcusable?) defence, I ride nowhere near the bike's potential and definitely not as hard (crazy?) as some of the other posters here. Perhaps that's just an excuse, but I am comfortable when I arrive and put on away major trips all the time...so perhaps my comfort level contributes to the safety net? I'd like to believe so.

Having said that; I do have have the Klim Overland jacket/pants in bound as well as a pair of Rev'it Phantom gloves. I'm looking at boots now trying to complete the ADV outfit in preparation of the Tiger 800 and want to at lest look the part, have the protection, and be able not to worry about a little rain now and again.

Note that I will not get a modular helmet though! Too many compromises for my taste.

These one scores 4.7 but air flow only 3.6, 170$, not bad.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-move-wp-boots

Can you buy something like that in Thailand? I have only used work boots until now.

If you like these, let me know, as I have a pair I wore like 3-4 times in perfect condition: size USA 9 - EU 43.

Those would probably be perfect (and I assume the price is right), but unfortunately they are too small. I require a size 47 in normal shoe size and 49 in SIDI size...

Sure... Was just a thought.My Kevlar jeans are quite thick with not so much flow !

If that was an underhanded comment that I don't wear sufficient protective gear....just come out and say it!

I'll agree that I don't wear as much protection as I probably should or can even afford. In my (perhaps inexcusable?) defence, I ride nowhere near the bike's potential and definitely not as hard (crazy?) as some of the other posters here. Perhaps that's just an excuse, but I am comfortable when I arrive and put on away major trips all the time...so perhaps my comfort level contributes to the safety net? I'd like to believe so.

Having said that; I do have have the Klim Overland jacket/pants in bound as well as a pair of Rev'it Phantom gloves. I'm looking at boots now trying to complete the ADV outfit in preparation of the Tiger 800 and want to at lest look the part, have the protection, and be able not to worry about a little rain now and again.

Note that I will not get a modular helmet though! Too many compromises for my taste.

Little bit paranoid there fella ?

I'm not LL2 :)

You wear what you want to wear, at least you are wearing protective gear. My comment was in no way having a dig at you, as I didn't even look at the specs on your pants. Purely reporting that my pants don't flow much air, although for some reason they aren't over warm !