This sub forum has gotten more civil....?

dave_boo

As much as I miss the old flame wars, this place sure has quieted down. It seems like gone are the days that a thread could run for over 500 posts and be a boon of information. The only one we had that exceeded 500 in 2014 was "CB 300f" with 654.

I looked at the top 10 threads for number of posts. All together they totalled 20,665 posts or an average of 2,067 posts per topic. They were posted between 2007 and 2013 with a fairly good distribution; 2008 had 2 threads that ran 700+ posts and 2012 had 3 threads that ran 699+ posts. The remaining years had a single post each that ran 700+ posts.

What are we doing wrong? Or is it, as alluded to in the title, simply a matter that there are fewer trolls/shit starters onboard?

Edited by dave_boo

From what I saw in the past - only the first three or four replies had any relevance to the topic - and the rest were pointless bickering.

So with less bickering the volume has dropped.

And perhaps in the dry(er) season we're out riding and not posting?

There was a lot of bickering, but you could still learn things from those posters, even if they were wrong. And take for instance the CBR 150R thread, the second most replied to, there was little bickering in there as it was the owners sharing experience and information. Granted the top commented thread, the CBR 250R one, was pretty full of 'your single honda sucks' and 'it performs as well as the competition for quite a bit less'.

And this was a question regarding for year 2014; not for a specific season.

Most of the longer threads likely referred to specific models that are/were new and popular in LOS- while there have been updates to those models, not much really new and interesting (maybe 'different' is a better word than 'interesting') has arrived in the more popular price categories since the sudden boom a few years ago, and there aren't any new bikes to generate enough interest, and much of the pertinent information has already been posted.

When the 250cc models were introduced, it was a big deal- ditto the 500cc and 650cc models- we haven't had anything like that in a while, and it's been variations on a theme rather than something all new.

I thought about that also. But then you had threads like the Tiger Boxer with more replies than the Ninja 650 thread (although technically a lot of information about that model could be gleaned from the ER6N thread that had about 3x as many replies as either the Boxer or Ninja thread). Even the Benelli TNT 600 thread snuck in, having one fewer post than the Ninja 650 thread, so I don't know if popularity of the bikes is necessarily the final word.

But (!) if all the Ninja 250 threads were combined, the total number of posts would take it up to the 5th position.

Perhaps we need a thread started that has the power to interest all the posters in this sub forum and encourage participation and does not easily lend itself to bickering so that those who would post except for the fear they'd be drawn into a pissing match don't.

And as an aside, I do miss those old members. peaceblondie, crowboy, thanh, bbradsby, skybluestu, bigbikebkk, etc. They sure livened the place up.

Different posters. Used to be some good heated debates with valid points on both sides, even from Dave when he was waxing lyrical about the cbr250 smile.png Now it's just regurgitated rubbish from some posters.

How much is your head worth? You're not a real biker. This brand is crap etc etc. You can predict the replies just by reading the title of the thread.

I find much more intelligent debates and informative posts on other forums these days. I still check in when bored but generally I find most threads pretty dull and the more interesting posts are ruined by the fanboys.

No biggie, plenty of good forums to choose from.

I did feel like I was the lone voice of reason at the time. Of course I felt vindicated when they started racing the Hondas against the Ninjas and the real advantages were seen....the same ones I had been saying. Of course Kawasaki, needing to outdo Honda, released the Ninja 300. It is just so far ahead of the 250s, from either brand, to compare. And Honda sticking with the single cylinder low revving for their 300 (as well as the horrible styling) was just the nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned. No defence.

Of course Honda has to be pleased as punch that Kawasaki took a page out of their book and stuck a dual sport single 250 in their baby bike....

I prefer the way it is now, with a lot less d*ck waving.

That's one reason I started posting more.

You think it was bad when you first joined...the only threads that had 700+ posts started since you joined were the Benelli TNT and Honda CBR 650. Should have been around for the flame wars before that!

i think RSD was on the right track, not much choice of bikes to start with (6+ years ago) CBr150, then the Ninja 250, then the 650, CBR 250 and suddenly lots of choice about 2 years ago. so people naturally stuck with what they were interested in and dispersed into various threads.

Yep, a bit more civil. Don't miss the goaders at all, nor the people that tend to repeat one line of thought ad nauseam.

What happened to the guy (I think his name was Richard) that had a dealership or some motorcycle business that gave him a direct line to information from manufacturers? I think you used to argue with him a lot, Dave.

What happened to the guy (I think his name was Richard) that had a dealership or some motorcycle business that gave him a direct line to information from manufacturers? I think you used to argue with him a lot, Dave.

Richard-BKK...he hasn't been around since mid December.

And not to split frog nut hairs, but I never argued with him. I simply pointed out that he is well known for giving information that is less than...truthful...and it seems a lot of his posts were to drive business towards Chinese manufacturers. Which he had a financial stake in. He also linked to an outside blog/forum in contravention of this forum's rules. Other than that I didn't have a problem with him.

And just in case he reads this thread....

c321c815b655e42f2d36852abbcf89dba7678669

• Like 1

i really enjoyed going back through some old threads lately. For example the kevlar jeans thread and helmet thread. But i guess they just die off cause theres only so much you can talk about jeans

This forum have it's ups and down's during the years like most other forums.

Yes when the Kawa EN6 hits the shops in Thailand to 280.000 baht ( not sure if correct no's) that was BIG BIG news for us Thai based bikers and then many big bikes have followed since but will not create same amount of attention as the first one off-course.

I guess some posters got feed up with the constant bickering and left, some for good.

Some have stopped posting for many other reasons; left Thailand, some have stopped riding bikes, some have died? (hope not) and whatever reason they might have.

I generally find the posts better so far in 2015 than 2014 where we had an all time low regarding bickering and it almost got out of hand sometimes.

I very seldom post in car forum anymore as some hard core posters in there think my choice of pick-up truck is bad/crazy and in the end I got feed up with it as all they seems to care about is slagging my pick-up truck for being a piece of shit (it's 2 years old now and never gave any problems, by the way and I love it).

This forum have it's ups and down's during the years like most other forums.

Yes when the Kawa EN6 hits the shops in Thailand to 280.000 baht ( not sure if correct no's) that was BIG BIG news for us Thai based bikers and then many big bikes have followed since but will not create same amount of attention as the first one off-course.

I guess some posters got feed up with the constant bickering and left, some for good.

Some have stopped posting for many other reasons; left Thailand, some have stopped riding bikes, some have died? (hope not) and whatever reason they might have.

I generally find the posts better so far in 2015 than 2014 where we had an all time low regarding bickering and it almost got out of hand sometimes.

I very seldom post in car forum anymore as some hard core posters in there think my choice of pick-up truck is bad/crazy and in the end I got feed up with it as all they seems to care about is slagging my pick-up truck for being a piece of shit (it's 2 years old now and never gave any problems, by the way and I love it).

The ER-6N thread is a good example. Bickering at a minimum (perhaps even absent?) and it had the third most replies. Combine it with the Ninja 650 thread and it moves up into second place. But even with that it couldn't topple the mighty CBR 250R thread. Now a lot of the CBR 250 thread had a quite a bit of back and forth in it, but practically every aspect of the bike was discussed. You read that thread and you pretty much know everything you could want about the CBR 250. The fact that the thread was started almost 2 1/2 years after the Ninja was released says a lot also.

It just seems there isn't any subject out there that can stir such passion and prompt such a large number of posts. Even if there is a high ratio of static in those older threads; it is, to me, a bit sad that more recent threads pop up are filled with banalities and then quickly run out of steam.

The best had to be the CBR250 vs Ninja 250. most entertaining.

I know don't like bickering but I thought it was funny.

Good times were had on that thread.

Bet you learned a lot about both bikes due to that bickering. I know I posted a lot more technical things there than I usually due because I was making my points. A lot of times I'll refrain from going into those types of information filled posts as I can get overly verbose and people's eyes just glaze over and my point is lost.

Where it often fell apart for me as a casual, noncontributing visitor was the frequent descent into nasty attacks. It grates on the nerves when a good healthy argument becomes personal and the feather dusters are drawn. When your knowledge is as limited as mine, but you enjoy picking up snippets of info for, well, whatever reason, then a thread can sometimes hum. Until the bickering starts, and then a lot of good follow up info gets lost in the fog.

So if you want to have a good nonsensical, totally irrelevant argument, then tell us what you think about China banning show queens. Should Thailand follow suit and ban its pretties? Or should it follow its pretties and ban their suits? Gentlemen, start your engines.

There should be laws that unless the kitties are a certain cup size they shouldn't have dresses on with low plunging necklines. To be an A or B cup and have such a dress on is false advertising and definitely should be banned. That's like buying a really nice coconut and finding out the inside is dried out and nasty....

Dave must be bored if he's digging through the old treads, someone please start a trip thread and ask for the route advise. biggrin.png

I was actually sitting there looking at the forum index and realised I had read all the threads on the front page...and they weren't all that big. A quick click to sort by most replies had all the information there (and yes I had been through all those threads with the exception of the ER-6 ones). So I was bored and there was nothing to entertain me.

In an environment of not having threads worth going through I actually thought about starting a "Are the 250/300 models relevant any more" thread to liven the place up and entertain myself. But then realised that without tony it wouldn't be much fun as there's few around here confrontational enough for the thread to go beyond a couple of pages.

So sad.

From what I saw in the past - only the first three or four replies had any relevance to the topic - and the rest were pointless bickering.

The reason I'm not riding long distance just now is because it's too cold. I will be heading for Pattaya when it gets a bit warmer.

Where it often fell apart for me as a casual, noncontributing visitor was the frequent descent into nasty attacks. It grates on the nerves when a good healthy argument becomes personal and the feather dusters are drawn. When your knowledge is as limited as mine, but you enjoy picking up snippets of info for, well, whatever reason, then a thread can sometimes hum. Until the bickering starts, and then a lot of good follow up info gets lost in the fog.

So if you want to have a good nonsensical, totally irrelevant argument, then tell us what you think about China banning show queens. Should Thailand follow suit and ban its pretties? Or should it follow its pretties and ban their suits? Gentlemen, start your engines.

There should be laws that unless the kitties are a certain cup size they shouldn't have dresses on with low plunging necklines. To be an A or B cup and have such a dress on is false advertising and definitely should be banned. That's like buying a really nice coconut and finding out the inside is dried out and nasty....

You been going around the beer bars on Pattaya 3rd road?

The reason I'm not riding long distance just now is because it's too cold. I will be heading for Pattaya when it gets a bit warmer.

What??

Are you saying it's too cold?? but I didn't see any snow storms predicted on the weather forecast for Pattayabiggrin.png

The weather is perfect now, so what are you doing when it gets hot in April? Take the car? You weather window must be very very narrow.

• Like 1

What??

Are you saying it's too cold?? but I didn't see any snow storms predicted on the weather forecast for Pattayabiggrin.png

The weather is perfect now, so what are you doing when it gets hot in April? Take the car? You weather window must be very very narrow.

From November to February, it's too cold for the bike, from March to August it's too hot, during the remaining months, if it's not too cold or not too hot, or not too wet, I just might take the odd trip down to 7-11.