Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar

Ulysses G.

A lot of businesses have been closed this week as its a time when families get to together, so I suggest a drive by after the weekend and see if there is any life.

I was there a couple of week ago but to be honest wild horses wouldn't drive me back. Sorry but they don't get a second chance to make a good first impression.

but it takes a lot to please me!

Thats poor, if a business is taking a holiday or not opening there should be a clear sign outside the premises advising of the circumstances, then customers would understand instead of getting annoyed by having wasted time on another fruitless trip.

As you say wild horses wouldn't drive you back and for me now its 3 Strikes and I am outta there, no return for me.

If you're going to live here you need to get used to that feature, it's part of the landscape.

You mean the closing down feature i.e. out of business or the random opening hours or no signs advising they are closed for a week due to something or other?

All of the above.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a business hasn't closed down and they are doing that then they are sure to upset customers and its much easier to retain good customers if you treat them well than gain new regular ones. Equally, very easy to lose regular customers by not running a business properly.

There's a different set of rules in business operation here, as a general rule customers don't too much care if a place is closed, they'll simply go to another place and the next time, probably return to the first one when it is open, it's called rolling with the flow. It's only in Western countries where we seem to develop these standards of behavior that Jo public imposes on business, they must do this, they should do that, they'll lose me as a customer if they don't - businesses for the most part don't really care because they have lives also and customers who adopt that attitude are unnecessarily uptight and are cutting off their nose to spite their face. After all, what's a customer going to do, report them the standards agency or report them for false advertising! laugh.png

My favorite breakfast joint in Watkate used to keep changing their day off without prior warning, I'd show up to eat breakfast on a Tuesday and find them closed, next time it was a Monday and then it became Friday, they didn't lose business as a result, they just annoyed people from time to time. Ditto another nearby lunch joint where I knew the owner very well and ate frequently. One day we're talking about the forthcoming holidays and plans, the next day they're closed for two weeks because she suddenly decided to go visit mum and she needed a holiday, did she mention a word about this, nope!

It takes a while to get used to I admit but it does work.

Chiang Mai you make some important points saying westerners expect this. Well Soi 1 Bar and Bakery is a restaurant whose clientele I assume is largely westerners not local thais. And if us westerners think as we say we do, which I do, then a fair percentage of us westerners wont return if we cant be sure whether or not a place is going to be open from one day to the next.

Already myself and another poster on here have said they wont bother returning, I am sure there are others who have similar feelings no matter if its this restaurant or any other who adopts the same behaviour.

Bottom line its a business and if you have set opening hours you should stick to them if you want to be a success. If you dont then by all means do what you want. Just seems a shame when the food is good but the service/opening hours are so poor.

Anyhow I've now had my fill of talking a out the place as much as going there and it being closed. I have taken my custom elsewhere.

Stament out!

Not to belabour this point but I think it's worth noting that many of us will go back at some point, simply, if the food is that good we're unlikely to let this sort of tiff interfere with our dining pleasures.

The other point to make of course is that there is, sadly, a near inexhaustible supply of farangs in Chiang Mai these days and tourist towns don't rely so much on regulars as they do the transient trade which renews itself almost daily. And good restaurants quickly attract the local population, case in point is the Dukes whose customer base at the outset was nearly all farang and is today very heavily endorsed by local Thai's, good food and quality sells.

Good first point but will undoubtedly lose some regulars who are turned off by the inconsistent opening times, me for one.

Agree also lots of changing tourists so not as reliant on returning customers as you are in a non touristy area.

Agree with your third point totally re Dukes. However it still helps no matter how good a restaurant is to ensure they are consistent if they want to be very successful. Dukes always opens as per its opening hours so we can hardly compare the two on that count.

It took me four attempts before I finally found Soi 1 open. I had a meal but the vibe was totally different. Before there seemed to be a great enthusiasm for good food whereas at the new place I felt like I was intruding on someones home. There won't be a fifth attempt.

Good first point but will undoubtedly lose some regulars who are turned off by the inconsistent opening times, me for one.

Agree also lots of changing tourists so not as reliant on returning customers as you are in a non touristy area.

Agree with your third point totally re Dukes. However it still helps no matter how good a restaurant is to ensure they are consistent if they want to be very successful. Dukes always opens as per its opening hours so we can hardly compare the two on that count.

I'm glad both you and chiang mai have great discourse and not a "pissing match with I've got a bigger &@$/". You both have provided a valid perspective which benefits all, more so the proprietor.

If in hospitality it is better to know your perceived failings and either rectify, or dismiss as inconsequential.

As I have arranged with only the both of you for a meet and greet on our forthcoming trip, was wondering if two birds one stone springs to mind.

Note to Gonzo on a different thread, am coming with hazmat suit, fingers pedicured, either cancel the app or refresh the photo.

Life really is too short.

I'm glad both you and chiang mai have great discourse and not a "pissing match with I've got a bigger &@$/". You both have provided a valid perspective which benefits all, more so the proprietor.

If in hospitality it is better to know your perceived failings and either rectify, or dismiss as inconsequential.

As I have arranged with only the both of you for a meet and greet on our forthcoming trip, was wondering if two birds one stone springs to mind.

Note to Gonzo on a different thread, am coming with hazmat suit, fingers pedicured, either cancel the app or refresh the photo.

Life really is too short.

Sure Paul you choose the place to eat and drink!

I use Ayam beans and they taste OK. I do heat them for some time, until the sauce reduces and thickens considerably. Give it a try sometime.[/quote

Aren't "Ayam" beans a brand name from the subcontinent region for the same haricot bean as used by Heinz etc.. just prepared without the more appealing sauce demanded by the masses

I loved the sparring there between chiangmai and stament. I call it a draw on observations.

I didnt elabourate on why i wouldnt return but i was part of a group of 8 forced to sit on two small tables pushed together like a sandwich thus causing a total blockage to anyone around the entrance.

I am a vfm person always have been and whilst my colleagues have returned i will not.

Different people different choices its not a critisism.

My opinion was formed in the first two minutes.

Beside us was the old menu flag from the old place so naturally everyone looks at it. The owner then says he has nothing available on that flag. I asked him for a menu....he doesnt have a menu; instead he stands at the table and says i have this this and this....no idea on cost comparisons. For me it was a farce but then again I hit the roof at trivial things.

I needed a large beer to calm down.....sorry dont have!

They then tried to push for some comments i dont know trip advisor fb...arent we great?

I they pushed me further they would have regretted the words I chose.

I use Ayam beans and they taste OK. I do heat them for some time, until the sauce reduces and thickens considerably. Give it a try sometime.[/quote

Aren't "Ayam" beans a brand name from the subcontinent region for the same haricot bean as used by Heinz etc.. just prepared without the more appealing sauce demanded by the masses

Yep, you've got it! Earlier posts were commenting that the beans used at this restaurant were Ayam and not as tasty as Heinz. Cost would be an issue, Heinz cost about 3 times as much as Ayam. My part solution was ....

Yep, you've got it! Earlier posts were commenting that the beans used at this restaurant were Ayam and not as tasty as Heinz. Cost would be an issue, Heinz cost about 3 times as much as Ayam. My part solution was ....

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to new location, this is midday, on a Sunday, young lad sat inside, ask him if they were open, he said boss gone to Kad Suen Kaew, so you're closed then.

Had really nice food at other location, he really needs to sort it out. Looked at the opening times for Sunday, said open till 2pm.

• 1 month later...

Another recommendation. The big English style breakfast was excellent. I had a breakfast at Butter and Better and for an English style breakfast soi 1 Bar bakery wins by a country mile. Beans real home made sausage grilled tomato as standard.

Great value and a genuinely nice guy. my only small criticism is that he seems over worked and could do with more help as there is only two of them doing everything. However well worth the wait!

Soi1 bar bakery has moved to soi 1 restaurant and cocktail bar 360/1 charoanprathet rd.near to the holiday inn and rajavet hospital,i found them again on tripadvisor "soi1bar" much better location with a garden cocktail bar and great bar snacks and food in the restaurant.

we enjoyed their good home cooking ,sausages and mash and beef stew,as if that wasn't enough we also had sherry trifle and bread and butter pudding with custard,real comfort food,a very pleasant experience

Soi1 bar bakery has moved to soi 1 restaurant and cocktail bar 360/1 charoanprathet rd.near to the holiday inn and rajavet hospital,i found them again on tripadvisor "soi1bar" much better location with a garden cocktail bar and great bar snacks and food in the restaurant.

we enjoyed their good home cooking ,sausages and mash and beef stew,as if that wasn't enough we also had sherry trifle and bread and butter pudding with custard,real comfort food,a very pleasant experience

Archived