Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar

Ulysses G.

The flavour of the tomato sauce for the beans and spaghetti is very specific - not at all like the flavour of any tomato sauce I've ever made (or wanted to make, I should add). Once or twice a year I get the fancy for beans, chips and egg but not much more than that. Mr K really enjoys them so we have them at least once a month.

The English recipe ones are quite popular in Australia, I don't even know if you can get them elsewhere.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this restaurant post prices for the meals? The signboard above doesn't appear to list them (unless they are in Thai language only).

I ask because one of the knocks on this place on TripAdvisor is the prices aren't posted and the customer gets a "surprise" bill that's larger than expected. Perhaps just tourists not realizing that Western food usually costs more than Thai food....

Not being an expert on canned beans or how to make them. I feel very qualified to ask if

they would not be best made in a slow cooker to your taste. Easy to add to if you don't

hit the taste right off.

Just a thought. Educate me.

that out to bring a storm of posts. LOL

My smiley won't work or I would put up the appropriate laugh.

The flavour of the tomato sauce for the beans and spaghetti is very specific - not at all like the flavour of any tomato sauce I've ever made (or wanted to make, I should add). Once or twice a year I get the fancy for beans, chips and egg but not much more than that. Mr K really enjoys them so we have them at least once a month.

The English recipe ones are quite popular in Australia, I don't even know if you can get them elsewhere.

" > Once or twice a year I get the fancy for beans, chips and egg "

At this point I must check that you're familiar with http://russelldavies.typepad.com/eggbaconchipsandbeans/ ..... It's hilariously poetic in the way it describes drab (to the less observant) English cafes. Plus it virtually guarantees that the first time this year you get the Eggs Bacon Chips & Beans craving will be today. ;)

Anyway, got the Heinz Beans. They were insanely expensive, but, youknow, FOR SCIENCE! Chiang Mai Food Science. That's the best kind of science.

And I have a Weekend Project. Which shall also include creating HP Brown Sauce, re-imagined for Chiang Mai with easily obtainable ingredients.

" > Once or twice a year I get the fancy for beans, chips and egg "

At this point I must check that you're familiar with http://russelldavies.typepad.com/eggbaconchipsandbeans/ ..... It's hilariously poetic in the way it describes drab (to the less observant) English cafes. Plus it virtually guarantees that the first time this year you get the Eggs Bacon Chips & Beans craving will be today. ;)

Anyway, got the Heinz Beans. They were insanely expensive, but, youknow, FOR SCIENCE! Chiang Mai Food Science. That's the best kind of science.

And I have a Weekend Project. Which shall also include creating HP Brown Sauce, re-imagined for Chiang Mai with easily obtainable ingredients.

Just use the sauce that comes with khow mun gai ;)

I find the best baked beans here are Ayam, made in Malaysia

and the cheapest,(3)xtins 101 THB at Makro, just to make a change

i chop up some onions ,fry them add the beans and a splash

of BBQ sauce, or sometimes add curry.you always have a quick

snack with a tin of beans in the cupboard.

regards worgeordie

regards worgeordie

How many grams per can?

Prices look fair, but something tells me if they serve boiled potatoes with chili con carne; it's British and bland.

They serve chili con carne with rice. At least that is what I got. The American dishes are about on par with The Duke's, but not as much of a variety of American stuff.

IMO, his roast dinners are his specialty. They are the best that I have had in Chiang Mai and are not particularly British. IMO, the chicken is really good, but the roast pork is even better. The portion is not huge, but very filling.

regards worgeordie

How many grams per can?

Large cans,I don't have any in stock till Friday when I go

to Makro,so cannot give you the weight,sorry.

regards Worgeordie

How many grams per can?

regards Worgeordie

425g - normal tin of beans sized. And I agree, very good value. Try the salt free ones if available, they really do have a different taste to them.

regards worgeordie

A splash of Lea and Perrins makes a big difference too but be careful as it can get too salty.

Not being an expert on canned beans or how to make them. I feel very qualified to ask if

they would not be best made in a slow cooker to your taste. Easy to add to if you don't

hit the taste right off.

Just a thought. Educate me.

that out to bring a storm of posts. LOL

My smiley won't work or I would put up the appropriate laugh.

The slow cooker is the one thing in the kitchen that I couldn't do without, so you wouldn't get an unbiased answer from me. Back in the dark ages when I was first married I remember saying to someone that if I had to lose either the microwave or the slow cooker, it would be the microwave to go. My opinion on that hasn't changed.

For me, canned beans and spaghetti (very similar taste) are in a sauce that is not at all tomato. It isn't even really pretending too hard, being orange not red as a tomato sauce should be. It just has a taste that's familiar to everyone, but unlike anything the home cook could come up with; not that it's nice enough to try to replicate in my opinion. The fondant for the centre of Creme Eggs though - I've personally tried close to 100 different recipes over the years with no luck, and there are hundreds if not thousands of people out there trying to do the same thing, some of them obsessively in the same way that there are so many people trying different mixes to get the KFC batter. Sometimes something just has a particular taste that appeals.

The Soi 1 Restaurant, Bakery and Bar is supposed to be closed every Monday, but they often do not. They have closed the last two Mondays because I forgot and tried to stop by.

Tried to find the hours they are opened because people are talking about breakfast and dinners being delicious, but could not find the information. Does any know? Thanks...

This is a guess, but the official closing might be 9 PM, but no problem, if you have ordered before then. I do know that there is usually someone in there eating until about 10 PM.

He is not open super early for breakfast. My guess would be 8 AM, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

How many grams per can?

regards Worgeordie

425g - normal tin of beans sized. And I agree, very good value. Try the salt free ones if available, they really do have a different taste to them.

That's about what we pay in the US....1 usd for 15 OZ cans. I like the "Brick Oven" style.

When I went there I saw opening hours of 8-2 and 6-10pm but I'm not sure if this is everyday. Perhaps the next person who goes there can get details as tripadvisor doesn't have the opening hours.

"About" 9 AM - 2:30 PM and 6 PM - "about" 10 PM. Officially closed on Mondays.

Right. Well I'll wait for longer and more consistent opening times then.

Also because parking around there takes some effort.

If I go to Dukes then I know that it's open.

(Or Gekko, or Butter Better, or Mad Dog, etc, etc. Actually being open for business is an important part of business.)

Archived