Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar

Ulysses G.

I find the best baked beans here are Ayam, made in Malaysia

and the cheapest,(3)xtins 101 THB at Makro, just to make a change

i chop up some onions ,fry them add the beans and a splash

of BBQ sauce, or sometimes add curry.you always have a quick

snack with a tin of beans in the cupboard.

regards worgeordie

Agreed that Ayam BB rock, small cans, 230g, 25 baht at Rimping.

What rocks is Royal Project small navy beans (or any other kind of small bean for that matter), soaked overnight, then cooked to not-quite-fully-done, then added to a big pot/pan in which you've fried onions, minced pork and/or beef, jalapeno peppers with most of the seeds & white ribs removed, (optional: carrot and celery finely chopped) a can of peeled tomatoes, some chipotle if you have it, a big scoop of sugar cane paste (or any other natural sweetener/syrup), chili spice mix (== relatively a lot of cumin, a little cinnamon and clove, paprika, allspice, thyme, oregano, couple bay leaves), black soy sauce, then shove in the oven at low heat for an hour or two. Uncover and put bacon on top for the final half hour if you feel decadent.

Also easy to make in large quantities and then freeze in smaller portions.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put Phillip's food up there with Dave of the Duke's, although his menu is more European. He has run his own restaurants in England and France. The quality of the food is really good and the prices (at his old location) were probably 20--30% less than Duke's prices. with no extra taxes. However, he was trying to run the place pretty much single handedly and did very little marketing and the hours were not regular. I'm guessing that will be impossible at his new place. He could do well, if he can lure customers to find him and train staff to do a lot of the work, but having really good food makes it all a lot easier and he does.

I think maybe you are thinking of The Bagel Cafe. I think directly across from the Chevrolet dealership south of Wat Chedi Luang in the center of the old city.

Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar are keeping the same name - because of Trip Advisor - and moving somewhere near Chiang Mai Land. I saw Phillip a few days ago and he said it will not be long. Hopefully, he will post it here when he does and give an exact address.

Uggh. You're right, Ulysses, I thought that The Bagel Cafe was the topic of discussion. Sorry for any confusion.

No problem and it is sort of on topic. I think someone on this thread said there are no genuine bagels in Chiang Mai, and I'm pretty sure that The Bagel House has them. The owner made them in New York for a long time and had his own shop in Colorado before coming here.

No problem and it is sort of on topic. I think someone on this thread said there are no genuine bagels in Chiang Mai, and I'm pretty sure that The Bagel House has them. The owner made them in New York for a long time and had his own shop in Colorado before coming here.

Good bagels too.

re

Turn in the soi opposite the bridge that goes to the Holiday Inn hotel.

50 meter down the soi it is on your left hand.

hes right but i went an easier way for me !

from outside pantip plaza go down chan klan road

heading towards nong hoi bridge and pedad

go past the entrance to chiang mai land on the right

and take the second next small soi on your left

after the park hotel

and its about three hundred yards on the right

dave2

post-42592-0-23624800-1436957898_thumb.j

post-42592-0-08676300-1436957931_thumb.j

post-42592-0-37881900-1436957994_thumb.p

post-42592-0-83728400-1436958153_thumb.j

I know that area reasonably well. Dave would that be the Soi that is opposite the Soi leading into Galae Thong Condos? It looks very familiar, and if so they also have a market every Tuesday evening on the same road but closer to the bridge/intersection.

Glad to know Phils new location and will visit on my return from Korat.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm glad we Americans can make something so good you call it your own....."Heinz" it's more American than hot dogs and apple pie.

I would hope so, because actually:

"A hot dog (also spelled hotdog) is a cooked sausage, traditionally grilled or steamed and served in a sliced bun as a sandwich.[2][3][4][5] Hot dog variants include the corn dog dipped in corn batter and deep fried, pigs in blankets wrapped in dough, baked, and served as hors d'oeuvre. Typical hot dog garnishes include mustard, ketchup, onions, mayonnaise, relish, cheese, chili, and sauerkraut.

The sausages were culturally imported from Germany and popularized in the United States",

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

and,

"English apple pie recipes go back to the time of Chaucer. The 1381 recipe (see illustration at right) lists the ingredients as good apples, good spices, figs, raisins and pears".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_pie

How many grams per can?

Large cans,I don't have any in stock till Friday when I go

to Makro,so cannot give you the weight,sorry.

regards Worgeordie

425g - normal tin of beans sized. And I agree, very good value. Try the salt free ones if available, they really do have a different taste to them.

I've only seen the low sugar versions.

We make our own beans now, which taste better than anything bought in a can. Just need to cook the snot out of them in a slow cooker.

Many thanks for the heads-up on Soi 1 Bakery,Best burgers etc.

Went there last night. A little oasis in the area. Small garden behind high front wall and cosy, bistro style ambience inside.

Good menu, from which I thought I should try the Burger. Real meat (!) and very tasty with a good bun and fillings. And home made fries not those awful deep frozen things. GF Had Chicken Schnitzel which was good too apparently. Then we were tempted by ' the you will never find a chocolate cake like mine' from Philip, the owner.

Very dark, and gooey concoction and rich, so good thing we shared.

We will definitely go back. Very enjoyable.

Back again last night for late dinner about 9.30pm.

We had a couple of specials that had been prepared that afternoon. A tasty chicken pie and...... can I say Faggots and Mash without ribald humour from the US contingent. Very tasty and filling they were too. Washed down with Draft Tiger.

Nope, i dont know the owner, or didnt until Monday. Just happy to give some air to an interesting alternative in this area of town.

I haven't ventured into Phils new place yet but with the arrival of my brother and his wife it looks like a go. Sister in law can't handle spicy food at all whereas my brother will give anything a go.

I do like Phils burgers.

Those eggs look terrible and the beans look like AYA brand which any self respecting englishman would know they are too sweet and in the absence of real Heinz Baked beans the best substitute would be the BROOKS brand.

Using either would put the cost of the meal into the prohibitive range unless you had a really small portion and cut back on the quality of the sausages. I'm not a big lover of beans, but I like Ayam as good as any other non-Heinz brand. I've found that the lower salt ones taste better (when I put enough salt on them to make up for them not having any). Mr K, who doesn't even like salt to be in the kitchen concurs with me on this.

Anyway, as long as there is brown sauce it's immaterial; enough HP and they all taste the same.

Well, wait: they're a restaurant. Restaurants make food. How hard is it to make baked beans?

Not very.

Small navy beans are exceptionally cheap (30 baht for 500 gram dried when bought retail, which turns into well over a kilo cooked), then all you need to do is shove it in an oven with spices and sauces to your liking.

Even the relatively expensive HP sauce is something easily made when used as an ingredient for cooking.. Just mix dark vinegar, ketchup, palm or cane sugar, tamarind, pepper, etc. All of which cost round about nothing.

The whole reason why baked beans exist at all because they're cheap. So when in Asia, anything that would require spending money in importend Heinz/HP means you're doing it wrong.

(And it'll taste much better, but that's almost a side-effect. wink.png )

Where are you buying your beans. 30THB is a great price. Place I shop is 2x to 3x more.

Archived