Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar

Ulysses G.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have eaten dinner here twice. This restaurant is a very mixed bag--located in a backpacker area and surrounded by hostels and low-budget hotels. More cons than pros--but let's start by accentuating the positive:

PROS

• The owner is congenial. He makes an effort to meet his guests and to elaborate concerning the menu.
  • The young lady and boy who work for him are charming and hospitable.
  • The food is good, and servings are generous. Both meals reached the table piping hot. My steamed vegetables were perfectly cooked.
  • Prices are very reasonable.
CONS
  • The place, inside and out, is drab and uninviting.
  • The awning across the front porch is ripped in several places. Weeds are actually descending into the dining area.
  • A television set runs nonstop.

2 posts have been edited or removed. Forum rule ..

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

I went for a late lunch today and had the medium sized burger. Very tasty burger and not dry. Homemade chips and a nice cold Leo washed it all down. Met the owner, very nice guy. I will return and try to other items on the menu. Id recommend the place to anyone.

Yeah, i'd go again. Food good, not too expensive, the owner talky but i prefer that to the ugly, ubiquitous TV blaring away and everyone gazing, stupid-eyed at their personal screens, which i find in many western dining places. I have little concern over weeds or awnings and all the backpackers wandering down the soi pique my curiosity.

To add something positive to this thread......

Fish and chips last night, absolutely beautiful, quite possibly the best I've had in Thailand. Batter superb, fish nice (with skin still on, very English) and perfectly cooked with proper chips which I highly doubt came out of a freezer. Don't know what kind of fish, but I don't think it was the Pang. Dory/Vietnamese catfish that you get most other places, different texture I think.

I didn't how much (Mr K picked it up as takeaway) but very, very nice and highly recommended. (Requested a phone call to order if picking up in future).

I think it has been mentioned but it never hurts to provide a reminder. If you are at the moat and see the Salad Concept restaurant, that's the street you he is on. Go down that soi (head east) maybe 100 meters or thereabouts.

The Cat House is also nearby and has also been recommended. I tried to go there the other day but they were way too busy.

Soi 1..... Soi 1 what....., how many Soi 1's are there in Chiang Mai?

Many main thoroughfares will have a Soi 1, 2, 3, etc.

Nimmenhaemin also has a Soi 1. The actual name of the street is not Soi 1, but Nimmenhaemin Soi 1. That's why there are so many of them.

I don't know a lot of street names in town, otherwise I could probably list a dozen or more Soi 1's.

re

everything he makes is really good. The roast pork and roast chicken dinners are great too.

hes right ! .... here ya go smile.png

soi 1 r r green arrow .... cats house blue

dave2

There's the location.

Great job, now I'm more confused.

Click on 'view original' or go back to the start of the topic and there is a map.

To add something positive to this thread......

Fish and chips last night, absolutely beautiful, quite possibly the best I've had in Thailand. Batter superb, fish nice (with skin still on, very English) and perfectly cooked with proper chips which I highly doubt came out of a freezer. Don't know what kind of fish, but I don't think it was the Pang. Dory/Vietnamese catfish that you get most other places, different texture I think.

Correct on both these things. Good homemade chips/fries and not the Pang/Dory/Vietnamese catfish that you get most other places. He usually has malt vinegar too, which I require when it comes to British style fish and chips/

Damn it looks like another trip into town tomorrow to check out these fish and chips. And I agree, gotta have the malt vinegar. Looks like the Sausage King Sunday lunch buffet will have to wait for another week. So much food and luckily so much time! ;-)

• 5 months later...

I think maybe you are thinking of The Bagel Cafe. I think directly across from the Chevrolet dealership south of Wat Chedi Luang in the center of the old city.

Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar are keeping the same name - because of Trip Advisor - and moving somewhere near Chiang Mai Land. I saw Phillip a few days ago and he said it will not be long. Hopefully, he will post it here when he does and give an exact address.

I think maybe you are thinking of The Bagel Cafe. I think directly across from the Chevrolet dealership south of Wat Chedi Luang in the center of the old city.

Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar are keeping the same name - because of Trip Advisor - and moving somewhere near Chiang Mai Land. I saw Phillip a few days ago and he said it will not be long. Hopefully, he will post it here when he does and give an exact address.

From an average location to a worse location. He'd have been better off inside the moat in a side soi.

If your food is good location should not be a problem.

Plenty of good restaurants to find out of town.

If your customer is expat crowd maybe, but the majority of the likes of Archers and Bamboo customers are backpackers etc that fill those places inside the moat.

Not a lot of short-term travellers are going to head down to his new area at all.

I find the best baked beans here are Ayam, made in Malaysia

and the cheapest,(3)xtins 101 THB at Makro, just to make a change

i chop up some onions ,fry them add the beans and a splash

of BBQ sauce, or sometimes add curry.you always have a quick

snack with a tin of beans in the cupboard.

regards worgeordie

Agreed that Ayam BB rock, small cans, 230g, 25 baht at Rimping.

How about pumpkin pie- you guys invent that also

Since you ask:

"The pumpkin is native to the continent of North America. The oldest evidence, pumpkin-related seeds dating between 7000 and 5500 BCE, has been found in Mexico. The pumpkin was an early export to France; from there it was introduced to Tudor England, and the flesh of the “pompion” was quickly accepted as pie filler. During the seventeenth century, pumpkin pie recipes could be found in English cookbooks, such as Hannah Woolley's The Gentlewoman's Companion, which was published in 1675.[2] The recipes did not appear in American cookbooks until the early nineteenth century.[2] Pumpkin pie did not become a common addition to the Thanksgiving dinner until the early nineteenth century.[2] The Pilgrims brought the pumpkin pie back to New England,[3] while the English method of cooking the pumpkin took a different course. In the 19th century, the English pumpkin pie was prepared by stuffing the pumpkin with apples, spices, and sugar and then baking it whole.[4][5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie

Archived