Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar

Ulysses G.

The gentleman at Soi 1 restaurant, bakery and bar has started making thick hamburgers with premium beef on - really good - home made buns and with good cheese, if you so desire. They are some of the best burgers in town right now.

It is very close to The Cathouse on the Soi beside the new branch of Salad Concept near the moat.

It is a small place and very popular, so if he runs out of hamburger, pretty much everything he makes is really good. The roast pork and roast chicken dinners are great too.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you the owner or a partner in the business ....... coffee1.gif

The 3 previous posters are regular 'positive' contributors to a number of food threads. I think it's highly unlikely any of them owns this restaurant. I trust their reviews.

re

Are you the owner or a partner in the business

nahh ... not guilty and i know ug isnt either !

ive got some shares in a few little lovelies like these two and i own a

honda dream but thats it

dave2

ps ... cats house has some great food for vegitarians so im told :)

post-42592-0-34576200-1421393396_thumb.j

post-42592-0-70834600-1421393528_thumb.j

Another recommendation. The big English style breakfast was excellent. I had a breakfast at Butter and Better and for an English style breakfast soi 1 Bar bakery wins by a country mile. Beans real home made sausage grilled tomato as standard.

Great value and a genuinely nice guy. my only small criticism is that he seems over worked and could do with more help as there is only two of them doing everything. However well worth the wait!

re

Another recommendation. The big English style breakfast was excellent. I had a breakfast at Butter and Better and for an English style breakfast soi 1 Bar bakery wins by a country mile. Beans real home made sausage grilled tomato as standard.

here ya go :)

i dont remember if this was the regular or the big breakfast but i

couldnt eat it all :(

dave2

post-42592-0-10486000-1421635104_thumb.j

re

here ya go smile.png

couldnt eat it all sad.png

dave2

Dave, you have to eat it all or you will get no pudding!biggrin.png

how much was this breakfast?

regards Worgeordie

re

here ya go smile.png

dave2

Those eggs look terrible and the beans look like AYA brand which any self respecting englishman would know they are too sweet and in the absence of real Heinz Baked beans the best substitute would be the BROOKS brand.

I agree; and would take 2 egg omelette w/rice for 25 thb from the cart instead. Canned beans? really?

Yeah tinned beans REALLY :) specifically HEINZ BAKED BEANS in tomato sauce and English staple and served with breakfast or Beans on Toast or Egg Chips and Beans or a Baked Bean Toastie lots of choices

re

here ya go smile.png

dave2

Those eggs look terrible and the beans look like AYA brand which any self respecting englishman would know they are too sweet and in the absence of real Heinz Baked beans the best substitute would be the BROOKS brand.

Using either would put the cost of the meal into the prohibitive range unless you had a really small portion and cut back on the quality of the sausages. I'm not a big lover of beans, but I like Ayam as good as any other non-Heinz brand. I've found that the lower salt ones taste better (when I put enough salt on them to make up for them not having any). Mr K, who doesn't even like salt to be in the kitchen concurs with me on this.

Anyway, as long as there is brown sauce it's immaterial; enough HP and they all taste the same.

I'm glad we Americans can make something so good you call it your own....."Heinz" it's more American than hot dogs and apple pie.

And if you were able to comprehend and understand my message you would see that i said it was an English staple (which means a regular food we eat) and as for Apple Pies, English have been eating that since before the Americas were discovered my friend and you guys merely exported it to the USA on the Mayflower and are the ones that are now calling it their own LOL

Using either would put the cost of the meal into the prohibitive range unless you had a really small portion and cut back on the quality of the sausages. I'm not a big lover of beans, but I like Ayam as good as any other non-Heinz brand. I've found that the lower salt ones taste better (when I put enough salt on them to make up for them not having any). Mr K, who doesn't even like salt to be in the kitchen concurs with me on this.

Anyway, as long as there is brown sauce it's immaterial; enough HP and they all taste the same.

Well, wait: they're a restaurant. Restaurants make food. How hard is it to make baked beans?

Not very.

Small navy beans are exceptionally cheap (30 baht for 500 gram dried when bought retail, which turns into well over a kilo cooked), then all you need to do is shove it in an oven with spices and sauces to your liking.

Even the relatively expensive HP sauce is something easily made when used as an ingredient for cooking.. Just mix dark vinegar, ketchup, palm or cane sugar, tamarind, pepper, etc. All of which cost round about nothing.

The whole reason why baked beans exist at all because they're cheap. So when in Asia, anything that would require spending money in importend Heinz/HP means you're doing it wrong.

(And it'll taste much better, but that's almost a side-effect. wink.png )

Brooks Baked beans are very inexpensive at Macro and they taste fine no excuse not to use especially the price they are the same price as Aya a little cheaper I think even heinz can be found pretty cheap although more expensive than the others

I'm glad we Americans can make something so good you call it your own....."Heinz" it's more American than hot dogs and apple pie.

And if you were able to comprehend and understand my message you would see that i said it was an English staple (which means a regular food we eat) and as for Apple Pies, English have been eating that since before the Americas were discovered my friend and you guys merely exported it to the USA on the Mayflower and are the ones that are now calling it their own LOL

Also, there is an English Recipe version of Heinz Beans which I'm told is quite different from the ones that you get in the US.

Well, wait: they're a restaurant. Restaurants make food. How hard is it to make baked beans?

Not very.

Small navy beans are exceptionally cheap (30 baht for 500 gram dried when bought retail, which turns into well over a kilo cooked), then all you need to do is shove it in an oven with spices and sauces to your liking.

Even the relatively expensive HP sauce is something easily made when used as an ingredient for cooking.. Just mix dark vinegar, ketchup, palm or cane sugar, tamarind, pepper, etc. All of which cost round about nothing.

The whole reason why baked beans exist at all because they're cheap. So when in Asia, anything that would require spending money in importend Heinz/HP means you're doing it wrong.

Making baked beans is easy-peasy. Making baked beans that taste rather like the ones you find in the tins, not so easy. Making baked beans that taste like Heinz, impossible. I've never tried it myself, but I've read some amusing accounts of people trying to emulate the taste and texture.

If you pass on your secret blend of vinegar, ketchup, sugar, tamarind and pepper, I'll let you have one of my home made but perfect copy Cadbury's Creme Eggs (only if the brown sauce passes muster of course). tongue.png

Home made is almost always better if for no other reason than you control what goes into your body, and I cook every day usually from scratch, but sometimes you just need to have some Alphagetti in Tomato Sauce (and nothing else will do). giggle.gif

re

how much was this breakfast?

i think it was about 180 baht with the tea .. i took one look at the picture

on the menu and thought that looks good but as my mum used to say

your eyes are bigger than your stomach

and she was right :) .... i couldnt eat all that breakfast !

dave2

ps .. the beans .. i live in thailand so i eat the beans they sell here :)

they may not be heinz but they are better than nothing !

post-42592-0-66384200-1421671778_thumb.j

So.. any relation to the burger place that was at JJ near Kham Thiang?

(I ask because I went today and it was CLOSED during lunch time. smile.png )

Cat House however is an excellent place. I had a burrito that was bigger than God.

The Soi 1 Restaurant, Bakery and Bar is supposed to be closed every Monday, but they often do not. They have closed the last two Mondays because I forgot and tried to stop by.

Not very.

Making baked beans is easy-peasy. Making baked beans that taste rather like the ones you find in the tins, not so easy. Making baked beans that taste like Heinz, impossible. I've never tried it myself, but I've read some amusing accounts of people trying to emulate the taste and texture.

If you pass on your secret blend of vinegar, ketchup, sugar, tamarind and pepper, I'll let you have one of my home made but perfect copy Cadbury's Creme Eggs (only if the brown sauce passes muster of course). tongue.png

Home made is almost always better if for no other reason than you control what goes into your body, and I cook every day usually from scratch, but sometimes you just need to have some Alphagetti in Tomato Sauce (and nothing else will do). giggle.gif

Hmm.. I'm now very tempted to go buy the Heinz brand at Rim Ping so I have a point of reference.

On the recipe.. I'm not big on recipes beyond a basic listing of ingredients.. I usually just tweak it as I go. I suppose I could write it down, but I have less control over raw material inputs than Heinz does. :)

And more often than not the goal is not just the plain baked beans, but the actual resulting dish which could be baked chili-beans which also includes onions, beef, jalapeños and the like.

Archived