Is This The End of Tiger Motorcycles?

Richard-BKK

Is this the end of Tiger Motorcycles, since a few days the www.tigermotor.co.th website is offline and nobody answers the phone on any of the previous numbers.

What I understand is that a company called “Tiger Authentic Parts” has split off and is not operating as a fully independent company... I was not able to contact them also today... but that was more because I spent most of the time trying to contact the old Tiger factory.

• Like 1

No great lose anyway.

Back in the days, Tiger made motorcycles that could compete with Honda and the other brands... in some way we all have to feel sorry if Tiger Motorcycle is no more... They were probably the first with a 250cc and they made other manufacturers open the eyes...

Tiger was a very good quality motorcycle manufacturer, until they started to source parts that were not manufactured by Zongshen, what was about the same time that Tiger Motorcycle lost the distribution rights of Sachs Bike.... They started to contact Chinese companies that could make Sachs X-Road and Zongshen 250cc engine and motorcycle parts for much cheaper....

The engine of the Tiger Boxer 200 and the 250 where based on a modified Zongshen design....

• Like 1

The website is down for weeks, or maybe even months iirc. Also owners are complaining they get no spare parts anymore since months.

But i have to agree with greg71, its no great loss.

Most of the important parts will be available for years to come... No one Tiger Boxer owner has to worry about not getting parts...

• Like 1

You should not forget that Tiger did not simply used a Zongshen engine, they developed the engine as partners. Tiger also developed as major contributor and partner the engine of the Sachs X-Road 250.

So Tiger knew how to do stuff, they had some unrealistic ideas about what they where in the Sachs Bike business structure and after they designed the engine of the X-road 250 they had the idea that they should be different than other companies involved in developing the X-Road 250. Sachs Bikes disagreed.

Not that long before Tiger Motorcycle had got the rights to manufacture Yoshimura exhaust systems for Sachs Bikes and Tiger Motorcycles.... of course it did not take long for Yoshimura to figure out that Tiger Motorcycle lost the right to manufacture, distribute or sale Sachs Bikes. So that was the first major business downfall of Tiger Motorcyclle.....

My first bike in Thailand was the Tiger Boxer ST200 8 years ago. After a few initial problems, it ran great and I loved it. Even thought about buying it back for sentimental reasons.

I wondered why they weren't present at the last Motor Expo...

And I agree with Richard. The disappearance of a bike manufacturer is like the extinction of an animal species. Even though it was an insignificant lizard or spider, it was still part of it all and worthy to exist.

RIP Tiger

crying.gif

• Like 2

LOL, Richard and his great knowledge about Tiger. Everyone having problems getting Tiger spares can contact Richard. He sure will help wink.png

For now I have nothing to do with Tiger Spareparts or the service for now, Monday I will try to figure out how bad Tiger Motorcycle is on the financial side... I once before tried to buy Tiger Motorcycle...

Currently all Tiger Motorcycle spareparts are provided by Bike Care International Co. Ltd. Which you can reach for now at [email protected]

LOL, Richard and his great knowledge about Tiger. Everyone having problems getting Tiger spares can contact Richard. He sure will help wink.png

For now I have nothing to do with Tiger Spareparts or the service for now, Monday I will try to figure out how bad Tiger Motorcycle is on the financial side... I once before tried to buy Tiger Motorcycle...

Currently all Tiger Motorcycle spareparts are provided by Bike Care International Co. Ltd. Which you can reach for now at [email protected]

If you buy Tiger and need a capable hand, give me a shout. I'm available. thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

My first bike in Thailand was the Tiger Boxer ST200 8 years ago. After a few initial problems, it ran great and I loved it. Even thought about buying it back for sentimental reasons.

I wondered why they weren't present at the last Motor Expo...

And I agree with Richard. The disappearance of a bike manufacturer is like the extinction of an animal species. Even though it was an insignificant lizard or spider, it was still part of it all and worthy to exist.

RIP Tiger

crying.gif

Any idea if a change of engine/tranny can be done on the X-Road ? Room to fit ? Thinking 250 Honda.

Every motorcycle enthusiast should feel sad if a motorcycle brand is going under... You not have to like a brand, you not even have to know it... any business that helped to shape the way the current motorcycle business looks is something we should not brush away like not important...

I agree. Maybe they being out of business is another chance for your purchase plans from before ?

X-Road with a YZ250 engine for me please !

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I finally got a face to face meeting with the current representatives of Tiger Motor Co. Ltd. and to make a long story short, I’m not think I will get involved in the rescue… Maybe a restart, when I can buy the brand from the curator for cheap…

Most machinery still located at Tiger Motor factory is probably 3 to 4 times over actual value. For example you can buy some of the same equipment for 25 percent of the price it was offered to me… In Thailand heavy metal punching machines are often sold as old iron as they often are outdated when companies get out of business…. The same applies to the CMC machines, what Tiger Motor had are according to our main machine operator from a different age… He would have to study how to operate them… stile they were more expensive than machines we currently operate.

We left the meeting with a serious guarantee that we’re still interested, we even brought along our Kassikorn Bank Manager and several other experts who all agreed that buying Tiger Motor Co. Ltd would be a bad investment…. And I and my general manager had the same feeling…. So, we of but not out of the game…. I still want Tiger Motor if it is only the name…

Every motorcycle enthusiast should feel sad if a motorcycle brand is going under... You not have to like a brand, you not even have to know it... any business that helped to shape the way the current motorcycle business looks is something we should not brush away like not important...

I disagree. If a company makes shit quality products, there is no place for them trying to compete with the companies that do their due diligence and put in the time and money for R&D developing a product which people trust. Good riddance.

QFT - I was going to write the same thing.

From all the owner reports I've read, I wouldn't touch a Tiger bike with a 10 foot pole. If you're making bad, copycat products than I am indeed quite happy when you shut down. That's the way good products win in the marketplace. It's the reason we have good products. So thanks for proving a point, Tiger, and good riddance!

• Like 1

Amen, won't be missed by me too.

One must expect that buying a motor bike in the 21th century will give you a safe/trouble free ride.

My Tiger Retro/w sidecar was the worst piece of shit bike I ever owned, many electric problems/carburetor problems/front brake didn't work properly and one time the fuel tank was overflowed at a gasoline station and the tank & frame below was discolored and I could not polish it away.

I was one happy dude when I sold it at roughly 1/2 price 2 years later on.

I will never buy a Chinese bike as well, better pay more for something made in Thailand where you are 99.9% sure there will be no problems and you can get it serviced by trained staff if any. If your bike have a tricky problem they can send people from the factory.

• Like 1

More than a decade ago I met one of the owners, I had no idea they had plans to make bikes, reason he connected with me was he wanted to add MP3 players into the bike, great little idea, didn't go anywhere, but he was thinking of trying to make cheap bikes interesting.

Agree, sad to see them go, regardless what people think of them

• 3 years later...

I bought one of the auctioned off 200px's It had been wrecked at 8060 km's (the front end had been backed over bent the front end up pretty bad along with Headpost now being out off alignment). I didn't plan to use front end anyway, I had built my own Chopper frame and basicly just wanted motor and harness stuff. I took bike apart very carefully took all the chrome stuff had it stripped, zinc plated and had all triple dipped in chrome (3 times). I am in the process of removing the Suzuki 2T 4 speed/electric start engine and installing the ZS169FML motor. Yes it runs perfectly! Oil cooler is a welcome addition as well as the 5 speed transmission. I have changed all the lighting to LED's kept my YTX7L-BS (12V/7AH) Battery. I have ordered 6" over Chrome springer forks and Harley front Hub and disc brake kit. I have added a foot clutch assy. to work along with the hand clutch. Moving shift to a Jockey Shift (hand shift) lever. I already have disc brakes, mono shock and rear fork from a Honda NSR250RR with a 17x70x120 rear tire on a 17x4.25 chrome wheel. I will have to go to a 18x2.5 40 spoke front rim as the one I already have is a chrome 18"36 spoke.

This is what Tiger Boxers should have been built like!  Anyone new Parts Numbers to order replacement parts... I have Parts Manual! Email me: [email protected] I would like to have an Original Wiring Diagram, as Tiger did some strange things here. Somethings are backwards!

Also so I will have no rust... Frame and all Painted parts have 2 coats of Zinc Oxide then sprayed with Powder Coat and Baked (4 coats of paint and 6 coats of clear) Fuel will not disrupt the paint!! At this point I have 7,500 baht invested totally in this new build! Not bad for a "New" One of a Kind Boxer... I could for a few baht more went with a 250cc motor... but I wanted kick and electric start. (The 200cc Boxer out performed the 250cc Kawasaki.... Hands down!)

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 8:17 PM, Richard-BKK said:

Most of the important parts will be available for years to come... No one Tiger Boxer owner has to worry about not getting parts...

You will need serial # off bottom left side of motor. Then I found it easier to list: 

1: name of part

2: Part number and pictorial ID#

3: Page #. 

As if there are issues parts are also listed in Thai. Everything I have stated here is available in the Parts Manuals. I have 3 Tiger Boxer Parts Manuals. All 3 of these are completely different Motors, all 3 have different compression ratio's!

Tiger 150cc

Tiger 200cc

Tiger 250cc

Email me with description of what you need, I will scan the required pages and send back to you as PDF documents. The 200cc manual here I have hardcopy only So I will scan whatever you need and return it in PDF file.

I also have The original Owners manual for the same 3 Motorcycles in English and Thai, Its complete in PDFR format now. send me Email when you need something (most of the parts manuals are almost 100+ pages):  [email protected] 

(You must enable Javascript in your browser in order to decode the e-mail address.) If you can't read it!

Re__Tiger_Boxer_200Px__.zip

Edited by davidstipek

43 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

I bought one of the auctioned off 200px's It had been wrecked at 8060 km's (the front end had been backed over bent the front end up pretty bad along with Headpost now being out off alignment). I didn't plan to use front end anyway, I had built my own Chopper frame and basicly just wanted motor and harness stuff. I took bike apart very carefully took all the chrome stuff had it stripped, zinc plated and had all triple dipped in chrome (3 times). I am in the process of removing the Suzuki 2T 4 speed/electric start engine and installing the ZS169FML motor. Yes it runs perfectly! Oil cooler is a welcome addition as well as the 5 speed transmission. I have changed all the lighting to LED's kept my YTX7L-BS (12V/7AH) Battery. I have ordered 6" over Chrome springer forks and Harley front Hub and disc brake kit. I have added a foot clutch assy. to work along with the hand clutch. Moving shift to a Jockey Shift (hand shift) lever. I already have disc brakes, mono shock and rear fork from a Honda NSR250RR with a 17x70x120 rear tire on a 17x4.25 chrome wheel. I will have to go to a 18x2.5 40 spoke front rim as the one I already have is a chrome 18"36 spoke.

This is what Tiger Boxers should have been built like!  Anyone! This is new... Parts Numbers to order replacement parts... I have Parts Manual! Email me: [email protected]

(You must enable Javascript in your browser in order to decode the e-mail address.) 

I would like to have an Original Wiring Diagram, as Tiger did some strange things here. Somethings are backwards!

Also so I will have no rust... Frame and all Painted parts have 2 coats of Zinc Oxide then sprayed with Powder Coat and Baked (4 coats of paint and 6 coats of clear) Fuel will not disrupt the paint!! At this point I have 7,500 baht invested totally in this new build! Not bad for a "New" One of a Kind Boxer... I could for a few baht more went with a 250cc motor... but I wanted kick and electric start. (The 200cc Boxer out performed the 250cc Kawasaki.... Hands down!)