How do you avoid Pickpockets?

NoshowJones

Pickpockets will tell you simply turning your wallet 90 degrees in your pocket meaning carrying it horizontally drasticly decreases their ability to lift it. That being said most pp's today are three man teams, one to bump, one to lift and one to carry. The bump is often continuous close quarters contact such as a busy train or bus. Put scorpians in all your pockets before leaving the house.

I haven't put my wallet in a back pocket for years. Not even sure I have a back pocket anymore.

Get front pockets with zipper on them. If it does not come this way get the wife to visit the Tailor and put them on, for a few Baht. If you keep all your valuables together, including the Family Jewels, you will know when someone is trying to unzip you.

If you get the zippers I get, which almost always get stuck half way, then even with a clunk on the head they will still have to work hard and long to rob you. That is unless they hold a gun to my wife's head and get her to do it. And like I do. But without the gun.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I got pickpocketed three times in Pattaya. I moved.

Read my post #7.

It wouldn't have helped me as I was passed out in a field and they had a couple of hours to get the stuff out of my pockets. I'll never know if I drank too much or got drugged as it was one of those kind of nights.

Do you have any particular favorite field that you like to pass out in?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've never been pick pocketed either, I think they are often taken back by my height and size, they might figure they're in for a hiding if I caught them. & they'd be right wink.png. Hate theives

Some of the best pickpockets in the world are little kids. So I don't think you extra height and weight scares them too much. Not too many people are going to stand by and let you wale on one of them for pinching your wallet.

They can snatch the watch off your wrist without you even knowing. A wallet hanging out of a back pocket is no challenge for them. They have been learning this trade since birth. They also get wacked pretty hard when they make a mistake. So for sure they try harder not to do that too often.

I've never been pick pocketed either, I think they are often taken back by my height and size, they might figure they're in for a hiding if I caught them. & they'd be right wink.png. Hate theives

Some of the best pickpockets in the world are little kids. So I don't think you extra height and weight scares them too much. Not too many people are going to stand by and let you wale on one of them for pinching your wallet.

They can snatch the watch off your wrist without you even knowing. A wallet hanging out of a back pocket is no challenge for them. They have been learning this trade since birth. They also get wacked pretty hard when they make a mistake. So for sure they try harder not to do that too often.

Well, it hasn't happened to me yet and I've been around a little while, so I must be doing something right. I have good situational awareness as well, something which was trained into me for years.

Some of the Thailand 'scenes' where this type of thing happens I'm not exposed to, such as the usual tourist traps etc, but I. Aware it can happen anywhere.

Knock on wood maybe ?

SmotherB. I'm sorry if I put this topic over wrongly, I wanted to find out from posters, the best way to deter pickpockets, like money down your sock, using a moneybelt, or a manbag, which I see a lot of those days, to avoid thieves from stealing from your person.

They can't pick your pockets if there is no money in them, and how hard is it for them to steal from a manbag or moneybelt?

Then why did you reply, "I am talking about pickpocketing here, not stealing bags . . ."? As I said, you appear confused.

SmotherB. I'm sorry if I put this topic over wrongly, I wanted to find out from posters, the best way to deter pickpockets, like money down your sock, using a moneybelt, or a manbag, which I see a lot of those days, to avoid thieves from stealing from your person.

They can't pick your pockets if there is no money in them, and how hard is it for them to steal from a manbag or moneybelt?

Then why did you reply, "I am talking about pickpocketing here, not stealing bags . . ."? As I said, you appear confused.

I can understand when you say I appear confused, but pickpocketing is really just a figure of speech, I should have said something like preventing people stealing from your person.

Walking back to my hotel one night in Pattaya I saw 2 ladyboys walking towards me. No one else in my view. I thought ohoh. When they passed me there was one on each side. The one on my left bumped me. My hands went to my front pockets and I caught her hand. So much for front pockets being safe!

Just realized after reading this thread that I'd basically get &lt;deleted&gt; If someone was to steal my wallet, my credit card, my id, + drivers license + some cash is inside. Getting the cash stolen is no problem but getting a new id and drivers license is a very hassling process. I removed my drivers license and id from my wallet after seeing this topic and put it into the hotel safe instead.

Me I have been pickpocketed after being drugged. That was Christmas eve 2001. My wife just had her Z1 Sony pulled out of her pursh (handbag) when she was in Terminal 21. Our young son was being a boy and had her distracted and they use that as their cue.

I had an inside pocket sewn in my pants the same size as my passport ,

its on the left side and I normally put my 500s-1000 baht notes there , ATM card and ID

any of the ladies with sewing machines on the street can do it for around 50 baht

a few days ago I saw 3 ladyboys swarm a Japanese tourist on Sukhumvit trying to pick his pockets ,

I yelled something and pulled out my cell phone and pretended to take a picture of them and they ran off

That's a great idea, but I think you would need to be very fluent in Thai to get the ladies with the sewing machine to understand what you want done.

the lady between Soi 4 and Soi 2 did it for me , she used the extra material `she had from shortening some pants for me.....

I had her do a few pair......

• Like 1

Not to worry you unnecessarily but the fine art of pickpocketing has now been reduced to a sharp blow over the head with a blunt instrument.

Seems like the kids don't want to learn a proper trade anymore. I blame it on smartphones.

Your first sentence, surely not where there are people around, I have never heard of anyone who is not drunk and minding their own business being hit in a busy street with a blunt instrument.

Go to duckduckgo dot com and look up the names of Chris Channon on Koh Lipe and American Jonathan Mark Lemley, 28,on Phuket, who was found in a coma on Karon beach. Possum1931, the youth of today do not waste time on exchanging pleasantries with you before mugging you. They can and also do just plunge a knife into you first then snatch or kick you off your motorbike while you are ridding it, then snatch your stash. Be careful out there.

Good post, I hope everyone reading this topic will take heed, no matter what country they are in.

Take heed how? By staying off the beach? By staying out of Thailand? Or should we carry a fake wallet with fish hooks and paper inside to try and antagonize a mugger? When they get a fish hook in their hand do you think they are going to turn around and say..good one...you got me! They are probably going to look for a weapon to kill you (which they probably are already carrying) The last thing I want to do is put my life in jeopardy over less than 10k baht. If they want to mug me they can have my money. If I am dead, I am not going to be able to spend it anyway.

1Baddat, if someone pickpockets you, they are not going to stand next to you and open your wallet, they are going to get out of your sight, then open your wallet. It is highly unlikely they will be anywhere near you.

I suppose some of them could be working in teams, even so, once the wallet is in their hands, they won't open it in front of you.

I place a normal 12cm men's hair comb in the fold of my wallet and another comb under the flap of my phone case. Rubber band is then wrapped one each around wallet and phone case.

Comb teeth catch the pocket lining and lip. Rubber bands provide friction. Wallet and phone are in a single front pocket - easier to protect.

But bloody uncomfortable when you sit down. I can't stand having my pockets stuffed with bulky things like wallets.

Yet another reason to carry your money in just a folded wad. Difficult for a pickpocket to remove and flexes easily to the shape of your body. I use a card holder wallet, which being more or less the same shape as a card is much smaller than the average wallet, and I find even that a pain to carry around in my pocket.

When I go out on my daily rounds to the thousands of cafe's in Thailand I carry a rolled up wad of 20 baht notes next below a rolled up wad of 50 baht notes below to a rolled up wad of 100 baht notes. I carry my expensive new cell phone inside my shirt in a soft leather pouch; one strap over my shoulder and the other tied to my belt. .

carry the wallet and phone in the front pockets. pretty simple really.

not sure why people make a big desl out of this but i suspect they are the distracted types in general. point is always be able to feel the item against your body or leg.

1Baddat, if someone pickpockets you, they are not going to stand next to you and open your wallet, they are going to get out of your sight, then open your wallet. It is highly unlikely they will be anywhere near you.

I suppose some of them could be working in teams, even so, once the wallet is in their hands, they won't open it in front of you.

I agree about the pickpocket assessment. I am talking about being mugged, meaning forcefully being robbed. If you hand a mugger a wallet filled with paper and fish hooks I don't think they will be too happy.

• Like 2

I agree about the pickpocket assessment. I am talking about being mugged, meaning forcefully being robbed. If you hand a mugger a wallet filled with paper and fish hooks I don't think they will be too happy.

Neither do I. I would not be as stupid as to hand him a wallet full of fish hooks unless he was by himself, if he was, while he was screaming, I would then kick the hell out of him until I was certain he would not get back up. I would not expect him to have mates nearby, as a mugger will not mug you unless no one else was there, that is when you have to watch your back and also watch for weapons.

Neither do I. I would not be as stupid as to hand him a wallet full of fish hooks unless he was by himself, if he was, while he was screaming, I would then kick the hell out of him until I was certain he would not get back up. I would not expect him to have mates nearby, as a mugger will not mug you unless no one else was there, that is when you have to watch your back and also watch for weapons.

A lone mugger in Thailand? That'll be the day.biggrin.png

You may have a point there Thailketoo, I have never heard of a lone Thai mugger. What about a lone Thai pickpocket in a crowd. Was there not a report about a guy in the market at Soi Bukao near South Pattaya Road who got caught with his hand in another guys wallet? I can't remember the outcome.