Are suitcases cheaper in Singapore?

SimonMrPics

I don't think anything is cheaper in Singapore.

Some years ago, some top of the line motorcycle helmets (Shoei, Arai, etc.) cost twice as much in Thailand. 20,000B vs 10,000B. Perhaps still the case, but I don't know.

Notwithstanding the response from the local village idiot, if somebody has compared the price of the same brand of good quality suitcases in the different countries, perhaps he would be able to answer intelligently, rather than talking about pieces of string. Lack of local market/competition and special taxes make some imported things very expensive here.

Edited by Awk
  • Like 2

Last year, I bought a small Delsey suitcase in SG for B3,500. They were "on sale" in CM at 5-6K (can't quite remember exact). So its much cheaper in SG. In fact, I bought another medium size one (Slazenger) for B1,700. Don't think you can buy that kind of quality at that price range here. Was spoilt for choice compared to the range sold here.

Contrary to what some may think, foreign-made stuff are generally cheaper in SG as compared to Thailand. As for suitcases, you'll find that usually there are ongoing "sales" in the major dept stores along Orchard Rd.

Of course, not all models/brands are necessarily cheaper in SG at any point in time. Suggest OP identify which suitcase he like to buy and find out the price here in Thailand, and then compare when you're in SG.

My choice is to take an old shitty suitcase with me to Singapore and buy there - although I not have much time to browse, prob would need to buy in the airport on landing-

Or buy in CM.

I realize not similar product, but I do note that an iPhone is about £100 cheaper in SG than Thailand - hence my question about suitcases

My choice is to take an old shitty suitcase with me to Singapore and buy there - although I not have much time to browse, prob would need to buy in the airport on landing-

Or buy in CM.

I realize not similar product, but I do note that an iPhone is about £100 cheaper in SG than Thailand - hence my question about suitcases

I bought a Samsung 10" tablet for abt B15K in SG, whereas it costs B20K here in CM. But I had time to shop around and look for bargains.

I think you will find more/better bargains in Orchard Rd. That said, Changi Airport duty-free prices are better than those at Thai airports in general. Happy shopping!

For quality international brands of just about anything you can expect to find better prices in Singapore, sometimes 30% or more difference. Of course there may be exceptions and you can get lucky for some particular item here in Thailand. I would say buy it in Singapore.

• Like 1

Not sure where the OP has looked in CM, but if there are no cheap specials in Robinson, places in the local markets are cheaper. I have bought at a shop in Moon Muang, near Soi 7 and thought the price/quality ok.

Seems an odd thing to shop for online but Lazada have a selection and usually ship fast and free to CM

Other than brands I would have expected Singapore not to be cheaper for suitcases, but strangely both watches and tee shirts are cheaper in Chinatown there than in CM. Always surprises me.