Shocker ! ! ! Andrew Drummond Leaving Thailand

Gonzo the Face

You know the Asian saying about messing with someone else's rice bowl... AD has ruffled more than a few feathers over the years...

There seems to be an entire segment of old timers that have had it with Thailand and are moving on... Things were always better in the "old days" to these guys... I wish them well where ever they go, because the entire world has changed in the last 20 years and the "old days" are long gone in a lot of places...

You are of course correct, I have been here 37 years straight and prior to that was stationed here during the Vietnam War. I can't return home to NY or any other city. I have made my bed and here I will die. Sure the place has gone to the dogs but now they're my dogs too. At 67, a widower with two grown children where would a pensioner like me return to the bliss that is America with their whiny women and entitled princesses? No thanks I will take my chances here with my fluent Thai, massages and overpriced wine and cheese.

If it wasn't for my Thai partner I would consider moving away from Thailand after 11 years here. Unfortunately, I find Thais are becoming increasingly pushy and disrespectful, even to old guys like me. I see so much selfishness and bad manners around that it makes me fume. Some of it is also very dangerous, especially inconsiderate driving. I could live in many places around the world, but I'm kinda stuck here, although it's not too bad. It's just that it's getting worse all the time..

Je suis Card!

You know the Asian saying about messing with someone else's rice bowl... AD has ruffled more than a few feathers over the years...

There seems to be an entire segment of old timers that have had it with Thailand and are moving on... Things were always better in the "old days" to these guys... I wish them well where ever they go, because the entire world has changed in the last 20 years and the "old days" are long gone in a lot of places...

We left England almost 30 years ago and it has changed beyond recognition. Within the first 10 years, our visits back home told us we wouldn't want to move back, but over the last 20 years is when the really big changes have come. I hope he is able to settle back home or wherever he moves his family to, and wish him all the best for the future - perhaps as an offshore reporter and then perhaps as someone who can set up some kind of anonymous drop-box for people to send material to.

• Like 2

So strange. Rather than offer him gratitude for his stirling work in exposing those who seek to harm, abuse and take advantage of others – those giving the rest of us a bad name – people are having a go at him for getting a fact(s) wrong and making the odd grammatical error here and there; like no journalist has ever done that.

He spends his life doing good, and then you shoot him down for not being perfect?

I think it was me who pointed out his grammar.

I offer him gratitude for his sterling work.

He has contributed a lot.

My intention was not to shoot him down, only to point out that as a journalist, you really need to write correctly.

I had to Google and read more about who Andrew Drummond is and why I should know about him. Now, to be honest, I am having trouble caring about his personal situation. I have read too many arm-chair freedom fighters and democracy advocates on the Web (likely most mental midgets compared to Drummond?) proclaiming the error of Thailand's ways, always from a perspective of an outsider with ideas to impinge and impose.

Maybe because I do not read Thai, but I have not found an equal amount of brain and loud-mouth power writing about Thailand AND who are also Thai citizens. I wish such writings by Thai, if existing, could be translated and widely disseminated. I would like to see What Do Thai Want?

As a bright guy doing lots of trained research for over 30 years about "current events" and specific situations, I have definite ideas, too. For example, I know exactly what is wrong of Red China and how to fix it. I am sure I know what is wrong with Thailand and how to fix it *. I could include a few other places. However, EVERYTHING I think I know about these and other places is formed as an OUTSIDER--an outsider by language, culture, and places of residence. Regardless of how "due" my due diligence is, regardless of how well I use my highly trained historical research methods, regardless, I am still an outsider--and that matters, it matters a whole lot!

I think that seeing the whole forest from outside it is good, but unless one is OF THE FOREST, not just looking at it, I have to doubt the strongest of ground on which to take a stand. I would ask Mr. Drummond, What Do Thai Want?rolleyes.gif

*Those two nations are not at all equated by me here.

• Like 1

Muirton, I'm not so sure the day will come when he can return here. I don't see things changing, but RedandYellow had it right. There's a broad-based need to be courageous, believe there are such things as right and wrong, then speak and act out accordingly. At the moment, it's easy to feel that the battle isn't simply against criminality, but against conspiracies of silence by both Thais and farangs in a number of locations. To take the obvious example of Koh Tao, I won't go there. I don't want to support tourism there, because I'm finding it too hard to work out who, if anybody, there is on the moral high-ground. Assuming that the "if anybody" is being overly dramatic, that is very sad for the genuine people there, trying to eke out a living, trying to keep a business running. I should support them. If they're there. The problem is that when a society starts going down the pan, our best assumption, possibly natural assumption, certainly safest assumption becomes negative. That's a big problem for a tourist economy.

I think it's of no relevance that things are worsening rapidly elsewhere. People aren't thinking of holidaying or retiring in Afghanistan, Pakistan,Iraq, Syria ...... or even Glasgow!

"messing with someone else's rice bowl"

Outside of Asia, anyone one is welcome to mess with peoples "rice bowls" without ruffling any features?

Would be nice to do some homework on this.

Thailand deserves what it gets....i hope he spills the dirt on all the local riff raff from a distance...not just the foreign fools....open a can of worms to do you proud AD.....on ALL Thai subjects.

How come there's so much hatred here?

Time to reconsider what side you're on.

Mrs. Moneymen, are you afraid your soldiers run away?